SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Match-Grade 9mm Ammo?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Match-Grade 9mm Ammo? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I've got this Sig P210 Target and maybe, just maybe, if I practice enough I might be able to do it justice. Maybe.

That got me to wondering: What's out there in the way of match grade ammo in 9mm? Anybody got anything they've used that worked particularly well for them?

I know it's going to be pistol-specific. I'm looking for leads.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I'm interested, too.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Apparently we're the only two on SF Smile

Here's what I found that looks interesting (at least to me) after some brief research:

Freedom Munitions 9mm Super Match (now ProMatch)

Atlanta Arms 115 gr JHP & FMJ Match
American Eagle 147 gr FMJ
Browning Performance Target 147 gr FMJ (discontinued?)

Few places have the Browning product, so I'm not bothering with that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Since most 9mm pistols aren't "target" or "match grade" (although some service pistols like SIGs are capable of it), there isn't a lot of "match grade" ammo around. I found this from Nosler that is advertised as such. https://shop.nosler.com/match-...r-jhp-ammo-20ct.html

You're more likely (IMO) to get "gilt-edged" accuracy from JHP bullets than FMJ, match-grade or not. The jacket of a FMJ is rolled over the edge and leaves the base exposed. A JHP jacket is formed over the base first. A smoother, more consistent base is less likely to be blown slightly off-course as it exits the muzzle. You see the same thing in match rifle bullets. Massad Ayoob tests fires many guns with Federal 9BP ("old school" JHP, 115-gr, standard pressure) and has remarked that it is consistently accurate.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

You're more likely (IMO) to get "gilt-edged" accuracy from JHP bullets than FMJ, match-grade or not. The jacket of a FMJ is rolled over the edge and leaves the base exposed. A JHP jacket is formed over the base first. A smoother, more consistent base is less likely to be blown slightly off-course as it exits the muzzle. You see the same thing in match rifle bullets. Massad Ayoob tests fires many guns with Federal 9BP ("old school" JHP, 115-gr, standard pressure) and has remarked that it is consistently accurate.

https://www.sgammo.com/product...grain-jhp-hollow-poi

Smile

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a 147-grain JHP might be more accurate. Longer bullet = longer bearing surface to grip the rifling. (?)

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
GECO hexagon is supposed to be very good in the P210.

I use the regular GECO 124 gr in my P210, and am very satisfied.

https://www.all4shooters.com/e...unition-for-pistols/

https://www.targetsportsusa.co...9140050-p-57585.aspx

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Interesting, FD. Thanks for the pointer.

posted Hide Post
Generally good JHP is better than FMJ for accuracy. The JHP tends to stabilize better, is loaded more accurately than FMJ so it achieves closer velocity from round to round. I'd try possibly Gold Dots or similar.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use a proven target load.

Atlanta Arms JHP

https://atlantaarms.com/produc...115gr-jhp-match.html

If you pistol likes a heavier load

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/9...9%2D125%2DHAP%2DBLK/

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Federal 115 +P+ JHP (9BPLE) has been a known high accuracy load. Only limited personal experience, but it did shoot well in a small personal sample.

Hornady XTP and HAP projectiles are the most consistent across my pistols for accuracy in 9mm

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
For those who don't load their own, the Atlanta Arms 9mm match has been 'the' load. Both the AMU and the USMC teams shoot it. A few years ago the CMP opened up ball gun ammo to any safe ammunition, and many shooters are using subsconic 147's accurately out to 50 yards. With the lighter bullets you have to keep them supersonic, but the 147's can start and stay slow.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
I just posted this in the BangBang Boutique:

I've shot 10,000 of Bullet Barn's 124 grain 9mm ammunition and it has been flawless and very accurate. I have an order of 4,000 more rounds on the way. I have no affiliation with this company and if you are looking for great reloaded ammunition I highly recommend Bullet Barn.

124 gr. Match

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by szuppo:

I've shot 10,000 of Bullet Barn's 124 grain 9mm ammunition and it has been flawless and very accurate.

Thing is: Different guns are happy with different ammo. Their minimum is 500 rounds. A bit much for test purposes Wink

posted Hide Post
I have had this discussion with projectile manufacturers in the past when I have visited their facilities. I am told that moving the center of gravity toward the heel end of the projectile, such as is the case with HP bullets, improves the stability of the projectile and it's capability to offer improved accuracy, if all other factors remain the same.

Other factors, such as consistent grain weight, for both the lead core and jacket, come into play, as does a consistent end-condition/surface on the base of the projectile.

I have also been experimenting, in a non-laboratory setting (shooting off a bag vs off-hand) with .356" diameter vs standard .355", to see if I can achieve any appreciable different results. The principle with the larger projectiles is that it has potentially tighter engagement with the rifling in the barrel. I have only just started this testing and am not far enough along to say whether it makes any difference for me.

I recognized early on that my largest detriment to accuracy is the shooter, at least in my case.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by szuppo:

I've shot 10,000 of Bullet Barn's 124 grain 9mm ammunition and it has been flawless and very accurate.

Thing is: Different guns are happy with different ammo. Their minimum is 500 rounds. A bit much for test purposes Wink

Also, those are coated bullets. While they function well, their long range accuracy isn't very good.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
ensig, In my humble opinion, 9MM ammo marketed as "match grade" is just, well, marketing. Kind of like many shooters expect to see "NM" "National Match" or "Match" stamped on the barrel of this or that gun. Barrel may be a loosely fitting drop-in, but manufacturers know buyers are impressed.

As to accurate 9mm ammo, marketed as "Match Grade" or not, I've found that 147 grain JHPs tend to do well in any accurate 9MM 9mm pistol. The 147s are not my favorite though as ejection and extraction can be a bit sluggish or lazy in some pistols. I've been using the Federal 9BP and XM9001 115 JHP in my Swiss, German and American 210s for some time, with excellent results as to accuracy and functional reliability. Whatever the weight, I've found JHPs to be a bit more accurate than ball ammo. Anyway the 210As are accurate pistols, and are going to perform well with most any quality ammo...

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I've never found much difference if at all in any match handgun ammo except 22LR.
It is a different story when it comes to rifles though.
However, some does work better than others.
Consistency of rounds is the key and is a major reason some of us hand load.
For that reason I hand load and test rifle but not handgun ammo.
YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat has a “match” load using the Hornady HAP bullet in 115 & 125gr.
Pricey but it’s $10 off right now.
I haven’t bought it since I load HAP bullets at home.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merc50:
I am told that moving the center of gravity toward the heel end of the projectile, such as is the case with HP bullets, improves the stability of the projectile and it's capability to offer improved accuracy, if all other factors remain the same.

I recall an article in the FBI bulletin decades ago when 9mm was just starting to become commonly adopted by LE agencies. That was one thing that was said about hollow point ammunition’s accuracy (or “precision” if we use the current convention), but another factor is the length of the bearing surface.* FMJ bullets, especially 115 grain, usually have shorter bearing surfaces than HP bullets because of their traditional shape that’s actually somewhat longer and more elliptical than a true round nose. A longer bearing surface is an advantage 147 grain loads may have.

* An historical tidbit is that shortly after that article appeared, Hornady introduced a 124 grain FMJ bullet with a truncated cone nose similar in shape to common hollow points. That bullet was evidently discontinued many years ago, but I still have a box or two.

Added: And that was one of the first things I noticed about most FMJ 40 S&W loads after the cartridge was introduced, the bullets were a flat nose truncated cone design with maximum bearing surface length.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post