SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Glaser safety ammo , remember these?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glaser safety ammo , remember these? Login/Join 
posted

I forgot all about them.

I don't even see a thread about them , here on the forum.

They were mentioned on a 15 y.o. real crime tv show, the other night

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
They were mentioned on a 15 y.o. real crime tv show, the other night

That is roughly the last time I've seen or heard about them. Also consider that the crime depicted in the show may have happened 10 or more years before that.

Posts: 27914 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
A pack of these was one of my earliest karmas.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16304 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still have some in .38 Spl. and .40 S&W from about 15-20 years ago. Got them following a move into multiple tenant housing; thinking those were the way to go being separated by only two pieces of drywall in spots between neighbors.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a package of the 9mm a while ago. Never shot it. I remember reading about it in the gun rags back in the day.

Posts: 4576 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the 80s want their ammo back ! Big Grin

yes I remember those plus another version called Mag-Safe iirc.

specifically mentioned 'by name' in the movie 'Manhunter'. The good guy played by William Peterson carried a .44 Special loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs.

-----------------------------

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig209,

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smile. I still have 3 boxes of Black Talon's in .357 mag. Smile

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have some Winchester Silvertip 357 mag I bought in 1981 with a S&W model 19-5 I bought at Gibson’s in Wichita Falls TX.

I sold the 19-5 to a member here in December last year.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Same goes for Cor Bon ammo- another product from that era.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Found these in some of my fathers things:

Posts: 3714 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Within the last two years, I finally fired the last handful of my GSS in .38spl.

I briefly got into handguns in the mid-to-late ‘80’s. Started with revolvers, with the first being a S&W Model 60. I quickly added a succession of 357 magnum revolvers which transitioned to a P226. The hobby died after marrying but I hung onto the Model 60, the P226 and spare ammo. I resumed shooting in 2017. The 60 was soon traded for a P220 but I first fired off the old 38 ammo, including the Glasers. I had no issues with that ancient ammo.

I still have 10 rounds of +30-yr-old 357 JHP (not Glaser slugs). Not sure that I’ll ever have the means to tidy up that little stash!

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
I remember reading Ayoob was a huge proponent of them for street cred

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1301 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Anyone still have Nyclads?

Posts: 7420 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
Within the last two years, I finally fired the last handful of my GSS in .38spl.

I briefly got into handguns in the mid-to-late ‘80’s. Started with revolvers, with the first being a S&W Model 60. I quickly added a succession of 357 magnum revolvers which transitioned to a P226. The hobby died after marrying but I hung onto the Model 60, the P226 and spare ammo. I resumed shooting in 2017. The 60 was soon traded for a P220 but I first fired off the old 38 ammo, including the Glasers. I had no issues with that ancient ammo.

I still have 10 rounds of +30-yr-old 357 JHP (not Glaser slugs). Not sure that I’ll ever have the means to tidy up that little stash!

Correction. I still have 12 rounds of 357 mag ammo left from my last purchase (likely 1987). 9 rounds of JHP (casing marked R + P) and 3 rounds of apparently blue-tipped GSS (casing marked Winchester)!

Maybe I’ll eventually buy another 357 (perhaps lever action) and finally clean up the closet.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

yep

and Federal just released a similar nylon jacketed 9mm 'segmented' HP

===========================

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've got some in 38. There's a GI can of 38 in my "Long term storage/SHTF" stack, it has a little of everything.

Except Glaser safety slugs.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShoreGuy
posted Hide Post
As one of the few NJ-legal carry rounds. (Not counting FMJ), I think the draconian Garden State has to be a steady market.

West German P228 (first duty weapon)
GOTM Nickel P229

Posts: 79 | Location: NC | Registered: March 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recall reading about the Glaser Safety bullets in a late 1970’s / early 1980’s American Rifleman!

Best,
Ian

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I've got some old, 25 year old frangible training ammo before it was cool Big Grin

Thread drift- since I've recovered newer Federal frangible projectiles from the ground that showed no deformation, I wonder how it would fare against human targets. I've shot old body armor panels and some of them fragment pretty dramatically.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15546 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:

2 full boxes of the 125gr. Standard Pressure loading for my S&W 12-2 Airweight.

Posts: 3141 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post