SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    EDC ammo? 115 or 124 grain in 9 mm
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EDC ammo? 115 or 124 grain in 9 mm Login/Join 
posted
What is the concensus on this? Of course, the new state of the art technology with bullets comes to mind. I'm dropping down from my 40 cal.180gr. to my new 9mm Legion.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've moved to 147 gr HST.

I'd take 124 over 115. I prefer +p in the lighter weights. I've still got a pretty decent stash of 124 +P Gold Dot.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a box of 124 gold dots coming.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
147gr HST. Would be ok with 124gr HST or Gold Dot. Generally don't care for 115gr.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
147gr +P HSTs.

But I have nothing against 124gr +P HSTs and have used them before as well.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
124 +P HST or Gold Dots

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
147gr HST. Would be ok with 124gr HST or Gold Dot. Generally don't care for 115gr.

Same here. Though I prefer the 124+P HST or Win Ranger if I ever change out the 147s.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I carry 147g +P HST. I would be OK with 124g HST or Gold Dots, but I like heavy-for-caliber.

Posts: 3655 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
124gr +p Gold Dot.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
124gr +p Gold Dot.

This

Posts: 1050 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Use 115gr for the range. Use 124gr or better yet 147gr (HST) for carry. I don't feel the need for +p in either of the latter.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I'd start with 124 but whatever is most accurate in your particular gun.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
124 for me

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Federal HST 147 +P for me, It is a pretty soft shooter even in my Walther PPS. Between 115 and 124 I would choose 124 and lots of good loads available such as Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot.

Check out this Lucky Gunner test on a wide variety of SD ammo.

https://www.luckygunner.com/la...mmo-ballistic-tests/

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance228:
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
124gr +p Gold Dot.

This
+2

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
You'll find that the majority of the 115 grain loads dont meet FBI penetration guidelines, while the 124 and 147 grain does.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the science of it all, but in my jug-o-water hillbilly testing, I've had poor luck with 147 grain opening up.

It is my opinion that this is due to low velocity from shorter barreled pistols. In my opinion, I think a 6" or longer barrel would provide a different result, but the 124 standard (HST) and the 124+p (HST or Golden Saber) both open much more completely.

But I don't have ballistic gel or anything fancy like that, just an idea that smaller bullets rely on speed to open completely.

I use the Federal 124 (HST) in standard pressure in my carry gun.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I used to carry the 357SIG at work(P226), but when I retired I went to the G19 for an EDC gun. I had about 250 rounds of SGD left over from when I had to last qualify so I use that.

Speer Gold Dot in 9mm 124grain.

The wife uses SGD in 380 in her gun.
I also use SGD in 357Magnum in my revolver (125grain)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
124+p Gold Dots or 9BPLE.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I don't care for 115 gr, so it's either 124 or 147. No particular preference between these two, so I choose 124 as it matches NATO spec. If I ever find myself in a crisis situation shooting milstd ammo, no transition difficulties or sighting readjustments.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post