SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Has anyone shot a lot of steel case through their pistols?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone shot a lot of steel case through their pistols? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
Thanks for the replies.

Given only 2 posts at this point, I figure not many use steel cased ammunition.
I have always avoided it as in brass is softer than steel so why not use brass.

But why oh why and how oh how did I end up with a case of steel cased Russian 9mm.

It's almost like a gremlin had the combo to my ammunition security container.

Just because you don't get many responses doesn't mean that not many people choose to shoot steel cased ammo. I'm sure many, like myself, decided not to respond to your post because this is a topic that has been BEATEN TO DEATH on every single gun forum/blog known to exist on the Internet.

Posts: 256 | Registered: December 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CTG_Collector:
[T]his is a topic that has been BEATEN TO DEATH on every single gun forum/blog known to exist on the Internet.

You’re right, of course, but just like questions regarding open carry, having a round chambered when carrying, what’s better, 45 or 9mm, etc., the fact that people still ask them is ample evidence that not everyone is aware of all those other discussions. Many times we don’t pay much attention to such discussions because at the time we’re not interested in the topic. Suddenly, however, I realize that steel-cased ammunition is all I can find or is much cheaper, and then it’s, “What are people saying about it?” By definition, if a question has been fully answered, no one would ask it any more. Smile

Also, some of us don’t care what’s being said on all those other forums; we want to know what the SIGforum experts’ opinions are. Wink

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36192 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayflingythingy:
In guns like Glock, shoot steel all you want. I am less sure that I would shoot steel in large quantities through an 1911, altho I have done so in the past.

I probably would not shoot steel in an AR, altho many do.

A good acquaintance of mine who is the firearms instructor for his department reported going through about 20,000 rounds of the steel cased Russian 9mm before he finally fractured the extractor in his G17. He figured that was acceptable service life and just changed them out when necessary.

Posts: 20 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have only shot it in a CZ82 (9x18 Makarov), and I pretty much shoot only steel-cased in that pistol. My belief is that Eastern Bloc firearms were designed with steel-cased ammo in mind.

Posts: 380 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember an officer who I used to work with who used almost entirely steel cased ammo with bimetal bullets in his Sig P226 and AR-15 for training. He was really good about cleaning an maintaining his weapons, so I don't think he experienced the typical excessive carbon buildup that is typical of steel cased ammo. However, when I did annual inspections of firearms his weapons always seems to have significant wear on parts like the extractors, ejectors, and breech/bolt faces. Interestingly, after several years of using steel cased ammo I documented that his qualification scores seemed to be getting slightly worse over time. He was anal about having people mess with his guns, but he let me shoot his P226 and AR-15 and sure enough his groups were not as tight as they should be. The rifling was there, but it seemed much less sharp than a new Sig/AR barrel.

A few years later, Lucky Gunner confirmed my suspicions about using steel cased bimetal cartridges:
http://www.luckygunner.com/lab...vs-steel-cased-ammo/

Personally, I wouldn't shoot it out of anything that I valued.

Posts: 445 | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/#ColtSnob

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Interesting read.

Posts: 29769 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P226_operator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by CTG_Collector:
[T]his is a topic that has been BEATEN TO DEATH on every single gun forum/blog known to exist on the Internet.

You’re right, of course, but just like questions regarding open carry, having a round chambered when carrying, what’s better, 45 or 9mm, etc., the fact that people still ask them is ample evidence that not everyone is aware of all those other discussions. Many times we don’t pay much attention to such discussions because at the time we’re not interested in the topic. Suddenly, however, I realize that steel-cased ammunition is all I can find or is much cheaper, and then it’s, “What are people saying about it?” By definition, if a question has been fully answered, no one would ask it any more. Smile

Also, some of us don’t care what’s being said on all those other forums; we want to know what the SIGforum experts’ opinions are. Wink

Well said!

"Make like a Civil Engineer; build a bridge, and get over it!"

Posts: 315 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
I've shot a couple thousand rounds of Tula .45 through a P220 and 1911. Never had any extractor issues. I stopped shooting it because I experience 2 hang fires in one of the last boxes I had, but that had nothing to do with the case.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12397 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Yes, there seems to be some very knowledgeable members here that state facts and not their stubborn opinions as on other sights.

Thanks
Roy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ontmark,

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 2887 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any problems with running steel case with mine, but mostly brass is available instead.

quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
...And I am not sure I like the firing pin primer wipes. Maybe it's a Glock thing?

Yup, all Glocks leave a firing pin imprint like the one you have shown.

My other Sig is a Steyr...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Obvious
Picture of sphill
posted Hide Post
quote:
A few years later, Lucky Gunner confirmed my suspicions about using steel cased bimetal cartridges:
http://www.luckygunner.com/lab...vs-steel-cased-ammo/

EXCELLENT read

Posts: 3266 | Registered: July 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I"ve shot some, not a lot. Maybe 500 rounds total through 2 guns.

I havent' had to replace any parts.

That said, even if you have to replace an extractor, it cost what? 20 bucks maybe if you can do it yourself? For the cost in ammo savings, you are probably still ahead.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 31478 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A law enforcement firearms instructor that I shoot with put about 20K through his duty Glock and finally fractured his extractor. He figured that it was a fair exchange given the money he saved on ammo. That was the only problem he mentioned.

Posts: 20 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blaque Jacque Shellaque:
A law enforcement firearms instructor that I shoot with put about 20K through his duty Glock and finally fractured his extractor. He figured that it was a fair exchange given the money he saved on ammo. That was the only problem he mentioned.

Hopefully such a problem doesn't occur when the sh*t hits the fan. I would suggest using a dedicated training pistol for steel cased ammo if you guys choose to go that route.

Posts: 445 | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post