SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Has anyone shot a lot of steel case through their pistols?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone shot a lot of steel case through their pistols? Login/Join 
Admin/Ammoholic

Picture of lbj
posted
Whilst poking around my ammunition collection, I came across a sealed tin of a 1000rds of Russian steel case 9mm.

Has anyone shot a lot of steel case and do you think there was increased wear on any parts like the extractor?

I don't even remember buying this ammunition but there it is.
Even Winchester is making steel case 9mm available at Walmart.
Should I dump it or shoot it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lbj,

Posts: 29567 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy guns that are made of harder metal than the steel case ammo.

Posts: 758 | Location: SW Illinois St Louis Metro East | Registered: November 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A steel straight razor is (hopefully) made of steel that’s harder than a leather strop, but leather strops are still used to sharpen (i.e., cause wear on) razors. If brass can cause wear on a steel extractor or other parts, then steel can and probably will cause more wear on an extractor than brass, even if the extractor is harder than the case.

There can be many good reasons for shooting steel-cased ammunition, but to claim that steel cases don’t cause more wear than brass needs more justification than the fact that extractors and other gun parts are harder than the steel used in cases.

To address the actual question, though, I’ve never fired a cartridge with a steel case with a gun of mine because it’s never been necessary. If it were necessary, I wouldn’t hesitate to do so.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36034 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Ammoholic

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

Given only 2 posts at this point, I figure not many use steel cased ammunition.
I have always avoided it as in brass is softer than steel so why not use brass.

But why oh why and how oh how did I end up with a case of steel cased Russian 9mm.

It's almost like a gremlin had the combo to my ammunition security container.

Living In A Wild Place
posted Hide Post
I have shot several boxes of the poly coated steel.No problems and would shoot more, perhaps not in an X5 but my S&W runs fine on it.

Posts: 242 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: June 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot a ton of steel cased ammo through my 9mm SIGs and Beretta 92 and never had a problem.

I have only shot a couple hundred rounds of .45acp though my MP45 and never had a problem.

The only reason I don't shoot more is because I shoot indoors and some of the ranges have rules against using steel cased ammo.

Posts: 490 | Location: Back in Richmond,VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a AR and a AMD with Slide Fire stocks so I burn a lot of steel case ammo in them. In pistol I have shot a lot of 9x18, 9mm and some 45.

So far none of my guns have had any problems.

Posts: 758 | Location: SW Illinois St Louis Metro East | Registered: November 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Ammoholic

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
What kind of round counts are we talking here for pistols.

I don't really care about ARs because the extractors are so easy to change.

Living In A Wild Place
posted Hide Post
1000 rnds of 45 Wolf poly coated case. 300 rnds Winchester 9mm steel case.

Posts: 242 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: June 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot steel cased 9mm before I got back into reloading. I have probably 10,000 rounds of steel cased 9mm through two Glock 34s. The only issues I ever had with it were hard primers. It will likely wear out your extractor before brass cased ammo would, but the amount of ammo it takes to have to start replacing parts makes the cost of replacement parts negligible.

If you shoot your guns a lot parts will need to be replaced, but with the cost of ammo the cost of replacing consumable parts is beyond minimal.

Say you should replace your extractor after 10K rounds of steel and 20K rounds of brass (I'll use a Glock for example, Sig parts will be a few dollars more, and I'll be generous with ammo costs):

20K rounds of steel case: ~$3500
20K rounds of steel plus two extractors: ~$3536
20K rounds of brass case: ~$4500
20K rounds of brass plus one extractor: ~$4518

...if you shoot enough to need to replace parts, you could throw your gun in the garbage and buy a new one when its time to replace anything more than a recoil spring and it still wouldn't be a significant expense compared to ammo costs.

www.mastermindtactics.com

Posts: 70 | Registered: March 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently have 5-6 cases of Russian steel cased 9mm ammo. I have shot up 2 cases so far and see no problems to date.....and I do look!! I have no plans of selling any of my steel cased 9mm ammo.....it will all be shot in my handguns. If the OP wishes to rid himself of said Russian ammo, I will gladly pay the shipping fees to have it sent to me.

Posts: 3342 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In guns like Glock, shoot steel all you want. I am less sure that I would shoot steel in large quantities through an 1911, altho I have done so in the past.

I probably would not shoot steel in an AR, altho many do.

Posts: 582 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3342 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Ammoholic

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I shot 50rds of the steel case today out of a G19.
It worked fine.

I am unsure who made this ammunition.
The headstamp is hard to read.
And I am not sure I like the firing pin primer wipes. Maybe it's a Glock thing?

Can anyone identify this ammunition?
It came is a green sealed tin, says 9mm Pistol Ammunition, 1440rds, Mil-Spec and a few numbers here and there.

Admin/Ammoholic

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
OK, it's Barnaul according to a couple of members.

That led me to this link where a tin is shown that is almost identical to mine here:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/...n-40rd-military-paks

Picture of flintsghost
posted Hide Post
During WWII the US Army Ordnance Corps had some arsenals, notably Evansville and Denver among others loading steel cased ammunition. The reason was that brass was more expensive and less plentiful than steel. They ceased when GI's began having more and more problems with it...normally broken extractors. It was loaded in 45ACP, 30-06 and to a limited extent in 30 Carbine. 1911A1 extractors broke with some regularity although I'm not aware of any studies which indicated approx round count. Carbine extractors which were fragile anyway led to early discontinuance, probably after field tests as that particular type is very rare. The 30-06 didn't last long either. Possibly because replacing an extractor under fire in a M1 is very difficult.

The only SIGs I know of with fragile extractor systems are early 220's, all 225s and most 228s with the internal extractors that are installed on the insert blocks in folded slides. These are also extremely hard to find now from SIG due to the German government coming down hard on exports from SIG Sauer due to some alledged improprieties in transhiping weapons to an embargoed country in south America by SIG in Germany through the USA. Given that the extractors might be impossible to obtain currently, I would avoid shooting steel in those particular Sigs. I would also avoid steel in 1911 guns that use the original type internal extractor.

"Clips" go in women's hair and magazines are used in weapons.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Frostbite Falls | Registered: July 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Ammoholic

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I had heard of WWII US steel type ammunition, but have never seen any.

Winchester is even selling steel case 9mm at Walmart these days.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say a lot, but I fired several hundred rounds of Wolf through a SIG and a Glock in the early 2000s. I had no stoppages and noticed no wear of any kind. Whatever powder/primer they used back then sure stank. Circa 2004 I shot Wolf .223 through a Mini-14 and got a case stuck in the chamber. The extractor tore the rim off the case, but the rest was stuck tight. I used penetrant and a cleaning rod to poke the case out. I think they were using lacquer coating back then, which I understand they don't now.

Now here's something we hope you'll really like.

Posts: 17769 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
My take on steel cased ammo. IT does add wear to the gun, how much is the debate. Steel cases also do not seal in the chamber as well as brass cased. Guns are cheap & ammo is expensive so let your conscious be your guide. Me, I won't shoot steel cased ammo out of my good guns. Sure, steel cased in an AK or Soviet pos, why not. Not in my Sig, 1911, or AR. Maybe in a GLock, but I reload so no reason to even there.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7539 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
Whilst poking around my ammunition collection, I came across a sealed tin of a 1000rds of Russian steel case 9mm.

Has anyone shot a lot of steel case and do you think there was increased wear on any parts like the extractor?

I don't even remember buying this ammunition but there it is.
Even Winchester is making steel case 9mm available at Walmart.
Should I dump it or shoot it.

I shot lots of it IDPA and USPSA. Thousands of of rounds in several pistols. No harm done. I suppose it might wear parts a little more, but I don't think case on gun wear is the reason many guns fail. It is gun on gun wear.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 42487 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post