SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    185gr. SWC .45 ACP load for self defense?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

185gr. SWC .45 ACP load for self defense? Login/Join 
posted
So upon purchasing my new to me XDs .45 3.3 I got a couple of boxes of Winchester "Service Grade" 185gr. SWC "soft ball" load and was wondering if this would make a good self defense load?
And in case your wondering, yes the wee .45 eats it like candy!
Dale

POW/MIA: You are Not Forgotten

Posts: 474 | Location: East St.Louis, Il. | Registered: June 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest sticking with a good, modern JHP, like the 230gr HST. With few exceptions, I'm not a fan of solid bullets for SD use.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At current said XDs is loaded with 185gr. Gold Dots.
Thanks for the response.
Dale

Posts: 474 | Location: East St.Louis, Il. | Registered: June 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I am not sure that load (185 gr. SWC) will feed in your XD. That button nose semiwadcutter is not know for easy feeding except in certain 1911’s with feed ramps and barrels deigned for SWC ammo. Also that loading has been historically on the light side and may notcycle in a standard recoil spring.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Functions just fine thanks.
Ejection is almost funny though, empty hops out the port, spins a few times and drops right st my feet!
Dale

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want to stand in front of it, but the only real benefit I can see is maybe reduced recoil for better and faster hits.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's part of the reason I'm asking, that and this ammo is cheap at $20 a box of 50.
The thing is though will its shape and lower velocity help hamper overpenetration, not that I'm too worried after seeing some of those "philips screwdriver head" bullets on YouTube!
Thanks!
Dale

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badkarma 1:
Ejection is almost funny though, empty hops out the port, spins a few times and drops right st my feet!

Based on this description, I would be concerned with a limp-wrist malfunction. Have you tried to induce a limp-wrist malfunction to see if it still works reliably?

Even if it was still reliable it wouldn't be my first choice in defensive ammo. The reduced weight and velocity may reduce overpenetration risks, but not enough to make me switch from a good JHP load. Just my opinion.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
Dale