SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Suggestions for 308 range ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for 308 range ammo Login/Join 
posted
Something better than SA mil surp but cheaper than match.

I've got a scoped Savage 11FXP3 w/22" barrel that works for me, it hits the paper at 200 yards. It's very accurate with Core Lokt, less so with the South African. I am NOT a precision shooter, no plans to enter competition.

Is there an American Eagle 308 (or other mil surp) that will give me better accuracy than the SA but not break the bank? I've already used the AE and Core Lokt rebates.

I found a good deal on AE:

https://www.targetsportsusa.co...fmj-308d-p-1205.aspx

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I haven’t found that AE load to be particularly accurate; I use it for foulers, getting on paper at close distances, and plinking. As I recall Lapua makes a full metal jacket bullet load that’s supposed to be match quality, but otherwise, FMJ is to satisfy military ideas about what’s acceptable in warfare, not to produce accurate results. Most FMJ bullets are inherently less accurate than other styles.

I don’t know how tight your budget is, but if you can’t go another $5 per box to get match grade ammunition, then I’d look at the so-called match ammo loaded by foreign companies such as Prvi Partizan. They use open tip match-type bullets that may not be as high quality as Sierra MatchKing bullets, but are probably better than most FMJ designs. Buy a box or two and see how it does for you.

SGAmmo is a good place to start looking. Their prices are not always the lowest, but they’re usually very competitive, and they don’t rape on shipping charges (something to always check before placing an order with an online company).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the speedy reply.. I found this and the price is right:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/...-partizan-ammo-pp321

The Core Lokt is 150 gr, will the POI for 168gr Privi match be significantly different at 200 yds? I am not a precision shooter.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I've found it hard to beat the combination of quality and affordability of PMC ammunition.

I've got several cases stashed away of their X-Tac line in 556.

They make 147grain FMJ in 7.62 as well as some 168 grain SMK loads for about $1 round.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If we’re going to spend $1 per round, the number of excellent options in factory ammunition increases significantly.

SGAmmo has Federal 175 grain Gold Medal Match for ~$0.95 a round, and although it’s out of stock at the moment, they often sell 168 grain GMM for about the same price. GMM is the defacto standard for many military and law enforcement snipers so it has a solid accuracy reputation.
In addition, I have found Hornady match and TAP loads to be very accurate and some of them sell for not much more than $1 per round.

There’s nothing wrong with choosing a lesser-known brand if it performs well, but we shouldn’t assume that it will be the least expensive.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lower priced FMJ ammo won't be consistently accurate. I've shot a few 5-round groups under 1" at 100 yards with American Eagle, PMC, and XM, but the most part figure that they are 1.5" to 2" capable in a precision rifle at 100 yards. FMJ will almost certainly perform worse in a lesser rifle.

Factory ammo using 168/175 grain SMK or similar HPBT bullets will provide your best performance for a reasonable price. I haven't shot Prvi ammo -- I'm pretty certain it will shoot more accurately than FMJ ammo, however I suspect it's not up to the accuracy of the versions from Federal, Fiocchi, Black Hills, Hornady, Remington, HSM, and Winchester.

As noted above, plan for about $1 per round for Federal GMM. Ammoseek.com is a good search engine for web pricing. Both SGammo.com and Palmettostatearmory.com tend to have good prices. Earlier in the summer, Palmetto sometimes sold FGMM for $.80 delivered.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
https://www.freedommunitions.c...rangetime-reman.html

Freedom Munitions has this 150g SPBT on sale for $0.57

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
My Ruger M77 MKII Target like these and free shipping if you buy it by the case.
https://www.targetsportsusa.co...p-gm308m-p-1163.aspx

Posts: 1596 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crash:

Thanks but no thanks, they're reloads.

I shoot the 308 maybe 3x/year, tops 20 rds each time. I might as well fire my old Core Lokt and buy new at $.80/rd:

https://www.natchezss.com/remi...2820-fps-20-box.html

Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by crash:

Thanks but no thanks, they're reloads.

I shoot the 308 maybe 3x/year, tops 20 rds each time. I might as well fire my old Core Lokt and buy new at $.80/rd:

https://www.natchezss.com/remi...2820-fps-20-box.html

Oh, well looks who's too good for reloads... Mr. I'll just burn up Core Lokts like they grow on trees...

(just kidding)

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

Just to confirm, you're shooting a maximum of 60 rounds per year. Ignoring tax and shipping (if any), the Remy Core Lokts will cost a maximum of $48 per year. Decent match grade ammo will cost no more than $54 to $60 per year. My math skilz sez that ain't too many Happy Meals or cups of coffee.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. Core Lokt is my SHTF ammo, that's what the rifle is zeroed for. I thought - foolishly - I could get good ammo for cheap, and SF members reminded me it doesn't work that way.

Rather than use other ammo that might save a few $$, I'm going to stick with Core Lokt and use up some of my older ammo on the range.

posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with blackwaterprecision.com - 50 round box, Sierra MatchKing for under $50.00.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
I've had great luck with blackwaterprecision.com - 50 round box, Sierra MatchKing for under $50.00.

So, not only are you also advising the topic starter to spend ~$1 per round, but now it’s to buy 50 at one time rather than just 20—? Wink

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
can anyone else attest to the blackwater precision? that 50 box for 50 isnt a bad price

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post