SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Article in NRA Magazine says Federal HST is a +P Load
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Article in NRA Magazine says Federal HST is a +P Load Login/Join 
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted
In an article on SilencerCo’s Maxim 9 pistol, the author says Federal HST is a +P load (January 2018 issue of Shooting Illustrated, page 70, 2nd paragraph).

I don’t see anything on the Federal website indicating that HST is a +P load. Is the author just mistaken or is there more to what constitutes a +P load?

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
So if HST is "+P", is HST +P really "++P"? Wink

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4562 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Does the article list the specific load they're referring to?

Federal offers a few HST loads in +P, but not all HST is +P. In fact, most is not.

The +P HST loads include:

P9HST3 9mm 124 +P
P9HST4 9mm 147 +P
P45HST1 .45 ACP 230 +P
P38HST1S .38 Special 130 +P

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
In the Shooting Results section, they list Federal Premium 124-grain HST with a velocity of 1,142 fps as measured by them 10 feet from the muzzle.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:

It would actually be +P+ if you wanted to get technical. Wink

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
In the Shooting Results section, they list Federal Premium 124-grain HST with a velocity of 1,142 fps as measured by them 10 feet from the muzzle.

That doesn't help much. HST offers a 124 grain 9mm load in both standard (P9HST1) and +P (P9HST3).

Standard pressure 124 grain 9mm from various manufacturers tends to have a muzzle velocity of ~1100-1150 FPS, with HST's being nominally 1150 from a 4" test barrel. 124 grain +P 9mm from various manufacturers tends towards 1200-1300 FPS at the muzzle, with HST's being 1200 from a 4" test barrel.

So it was likely the standard pressure 124 grain load (P9HST1) that they were using.

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:

It would actually be +P+ if you wanted to get technical. Wink

I yield to thy expertise!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4562 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I guess I should add context.

In the part of the article in question, the author is discussing how "hearing safe" the pistol is. He says it's hearing safe with all standard 9mm ammo up to +P+ in the long configuration, and in the shorter configuration, only subsonic ammo of 147 gr. or heavier should be used. He says subsonic rounds produced the least noise, with full power noticeably louder. He then says "This was especially true of the Federal HST, which is a +P load."

In the Shooting Results table, it just says Federal Premium 124 gr. HST, at 1,142 fps.

In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the author made an erroneous statement about all HST ammo when he likely should have just been referring to the 124 grain +p load he likely used for the article

All HST is NOT +p

quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
I guess I should add context.

In the part of the article in question, the author is discussing how "hearing safe" the pistol is. He says it's hearing safe with all standard 9mm ammo up to +P+ in the long configuration, and in the shorter configuration, only subsonic ammo of 147 gr. or heavier should be used. He says subsonic rounds produced the least noise, with full power noticeably louder. He then says "This was especially true of the Federal HST, which is a +P load."

In the Shooting Results table, it just says Federal Premium 124 gr. HST, at 1,142 fps.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post