SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Best 5.56 self defense ammo?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 5.56 self defense ammo? Login/Join 
posted
Just ordered a new LWRC AR-15 and was wondering what some of the best, most effective choices are for self-defense ammo?

Thanks,

P

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

John F. Kennedy

Posts: 169 | Registered: April 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will get different thoughts based both on the length of the barrel and the twist ratio.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Depends on your threats (e.g. windshields), proximity of neighbors, twist of rifle barrel, etc.

Hard to go wrong with M193, but I'm partial to Federal's XM556FBIT3M 62 gr Tactical Bonded "FBI Load"

My first AR had a 1:9 rifle barrel, and it wouldn't shoot M855 worth a damn. Ate everything else though.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, have a 1:7 barrel so need a heavier load.

P

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

John F. Kennedy

Posts: 169 | Registered: April 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At HD distances - like 5 to 75 feet - getting hit COM by any 5.56mm round is almost certainly going to take a man out of the fight.

If you are talking longer ranges / different barrier scenarios, etc then you may find different results.

For reliability and simplicity sake - and the ability to shoot it by the case-load - I go with M193-type.

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
At HD distances - like 5 to 75 feet - getting hit COM by any 5.56mm round is almost certainly going to take a man out of the fight.

If you are talking longer ranges / different barrier scenarios, etc then you may find different results.

For reliability and simplicity sake - and the ability to shoot it by the case-load - I go with M193-type.

--------------------------------------

This is my assessment, too. XM193 or M193 makes me happy.

I wouldn't use the M855 for this use. You don't need the penetrator at short ranges (meaning under 100 yards), and it may even be too penetrating for some uses. Not that you can't expect M193 to go through sheetrock, but it will go through less sheetrock.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine are loaded with Speer 55 grain Gold Dot, but it's all just a speculative choice based on barrier and gel tests.

I'd imagine the overwhelming majority of real world experience is with M193 or M855. Outside of the military, there just aren't going to be enough actual cases to evaluate the effectiveness of the other loads with any kind of statistical validity.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pat@Nexus:

P
55 grain is within the stabilization parameters of a 1:7

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 1/7 can definitely shoot 55 grain. I shoot m193 and Wally World 55 grain .223s through my 1/7 BCMs when I am back in the states.

I shoot M855 for specific reasons, but I don't recommend it. There are known issues with it.

I would recommend looking through the ammo section and Mason's rifle room. There have been a number of good discussions, with folks from various walks of life contributing.

In general I would say to get something affordable and readily available. That way you can shoot it on the range and learn your holdovers and offsets and also verify the reliability of your rifle with the ammo.

Dr Gary Roberts' comments on selecting a duty round is worth reading. It bounces around between M4carbine.net, Light fighter and has been quoted in many other spots. Dr Roberts has been quoted as saying "I would much rather go into battle with a guy who practices 15,000 rounds a year using generic 55 gr FMJ out of his old M16A1 than with some guy that has the latest state-of-the-art ammo and rifle, but only shoots 500 rounds a year." He also constantly states that shot placement is a higher priority than bullet construction. But he does recommend a specific assortment of 50- 70 grain JHPs from several reputable manufacturers. Several of which have been mentioned above.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:

In general I would say to get something affordable and readily available. That way you can shoot it on the range and learn your holdovers and offsets and also verify the reliability of your rifle with the ammo.

This is very well-said. Any 5.56mm round striking a human at 2700+ fps is going to do heavy damage. I personally would rather have a stockpile of reliable ammo.

Take a look at Fed XM193, Winchester Q3131, PRVI M193, IMI 193, PMC XTAC 193... There are others too.

I guess what I am trying to say is - while it may not be the absolute best from a ballistic standpoint - M193-type may be the best when you factor in all variables: reliability, price, terminal effect, availability, etc.

----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

...I guess what I am trying to say is - while it may not be the absolute best from a ballistic standpoint - M193-type may be the best when you factor in all variables: reliability, price, terminal effect, availability, etc.

Well said and I have "lots" of M193. However, if you want a soft point, PSA has great deals on Gold Dots, often with free shipping. No free shipping today but still a good price:

http://palmettostatearmory.com...ion-20rds-24446.html

Check Billy Bob's for sales.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Personally, I prefer Speer Gold Dots. They're available in your choice of 55, 64, and 75 grain flavors, and are very reasonably priced at around 50 cents per round.

quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Dr Gary Roberts' comments on selecting a duty round is worth reading. It bounces around between M4carbine.net, Light fighter and has been quoted in many other spots... [H]e does recommend a specific assortment of 50- 70 grain JHPs from several reputable manufacturers. Several of which have been mentioned above.

Here are DocGKR's recommendations:

quote:

A) If barrier penetration is NOT an important factor AND your rifle can stabilize them (minimum 1:9 twist rate):
-Hornady 75gr OTM loads
-Nosler 77gr OTM loads
-Sierra 77gr SMK loads

B) If barrier penetration is NOT an important factor AND your rifle can't stabilize the heavy 70+ grain bullets:
-Sierra 69gr SMK loads
-Hornady 68gr OTM loads
-Winchester 64gr JSP (RA223R2)
-Federal 64gr TRU (223L)
-Hornady 60gr JSP

C) If your rifle is 1:12 or slower twist rate or can only shoot lighter-weight bullets:
-55gr Federal bonded JSP load (LE223T1 or P223T2)
-Barnes 55gr TSX/TAC-X
-50gr TSX loaded by Black Hills

D) If barrier penetration IS an important factor:
-62gr Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (TBBC) bonded JSP (XM556FBIT3)
-64gr Winchester solid base bonded JSP (Q3313/RA556B)
-50gr TSX loaded by Black Hills
-Speer 55 & 64gr Gold Dot JSP (5.56)
-Federal 62gr Mk318 Mod0 (T556TNB1)
-62gr Federal bonded JSP Tactical (LE223T3)
-55gr Federal bonded JSP load (Tactical––LE223T1 or identical Premium Rifle––P223T2)
-Swift 75gr Scirocco (usually requires 1:7 twist)
-60gr Nosler Partition JSP
-Remington 62gr bonded JSP
-Federal 55gr TSX (T223S)
-Speer 55 & 64gr Gold Dot JSP (.223)
-Federal 62gr Fusion JSP (Same construction as the Gold Dot)

Tons of more in-depth info at this link, on a number of different calibers: https://www.ar15.com/ammo/proj...lf_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
My only personal experience is with the 62 gr Federal Tactical (Trophy Bonded Bearclaw JSP). It was extremely effective.

I've witnessed the after effects of numerous other 5.56 and .223 loads. You don't want to be hit with any of them.

My personal rifles are loaded with Gold Dot. It's accurate. It's reliable. I trust it to do what needs doing if I do my part.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pat@Nexus:

A 1/7" barrel doesn’t require a heavier load just because of the twist rate. For a duty load I prefer 62/64 grain Gold Dot for its barrier penetration characteristics, but for personal protection I rely on Hornady 75 grain FPD.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
The 55 and 64gr Gold Dots go on sale often at PSA. That's what I've chosen as well.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Its hard not to use the Gold Dots from PSA. Great ammo, great price. Stock up now while its available. That stuff USED to be about $20 for 20 rounds. Which is about the going rate for premium defensive .223.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ This, PSA has them for 9.99/ box of 20 now and then with free shipping for +10 boxes. I usually grab another 200 rounds when they offer this deal.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ i just picked up a couple of cases for ~.50c a round delivered. pretty good price for a quality SD round

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
I just ordered 10 boxes. With free shipping it's a great deal.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post