SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    45-70 for hunting deer and hogs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-70 for hunting deer and hogs Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
What ammunition would you use to hunt deer and feral hogs in brush?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have several buddies who hunt hogs with .45-70 lever guns. They use Hornady Leverevolution 325 grain rounds, which work well. Most of our hog hunting is in moderately heavy brush.

And while I haven't used Federal's 300 grain .45-70 Fusion load, I hunt with Fusion rounds in several other calibers with good effect, so that's worth a look as well.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is there a 'bad' 45-70 load for hunting? Wink

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
is there a 'bad' 45-70 load for hunting? Wink

---------------------------------

The above is a valid point.
Once at the ammo shelf you could choose based on a random number generator and I bet you would be just fine from 0 to 200 yards.

I say this as someone that has experimented with everything from factory 300gr. HP, to 460gr. hard cast swc loaded to levels that almost made me momentarily unconscious at the bench. The resulting "splat" in the field just wasn't any different for me.

If still in doubt, my advice would be to stick to 405gr. FP as a universal soldier.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LeverEvolution. Great stuff!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post