SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    How long should a magazine stay loaded?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long should a magazine stay loaded? Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Wolff has some good info about springs which may help you. For self defense purposes I change my double stack pistol magazine springs every five years which is very cheap insurance.

https://www.gunsprings.com/FAQ

https://www.gunsprings.com/ind...p?page=FAQ#question5

"5. How often should I change magazine spring? Should I unload my magazines, rotate magazines, load with fewer than the maximum rounds?
Magazine springs in semi-auto pistols are one of the most critical springs and are the subject of much debate and concern. Magazines which are kept fully loaded for long periods of time, such as in law enforcement and personal/home defense applications, will generally be subject to more fatigue than the weekend shooter's magazine springs in which the magazines are loaded up only when shooting.

Magazine design and capacity also affect the longevity of the spring. In many older pistol designs, maximum capacity was not the always the goal such as with the 7 round 1911 Colt magazines will last for years fully loaded. There was room for more spring material in these guns which reduces overall stress and increases the usable life of the spring.

More recently higher capacity magazine have become popular. These are designed to hold more rounds with less spring material often in the same space. This puts more stress on the spring and will cause it to fatigue at a faster rate. Unloading these magazines a round or two will help the life of the spring. Rotating fully loaded magazines will also help the problem somewhat but it is not always practical.

In applications where the magazine must be kept loaded at all times, a high quality magazine spring such as Wolff extra power magazine springs, will provide maximum life. Regular replacement of magazine springs will provide the best defense against failure from weak magazine springs. Regular shooting of the pistol is the best way to be sure the springs are still functioning reliably."

Of course, they are in the business of selling springs.

Most agree that keeping them loaded, even for years, will not cause a problem.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
In other breaking news, the oil change places recommend changing your oil every 3000 miles! Big Grin

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doing gun work for 45 yrs, most feeding problems in semi auto pistols were due to magazines: mostly either feed “lips” or weak follower springs from having been left fully loaded for years.
And I recommend changing the oil in your handgun every 3000 miles. Smile

“Never ask a barber if you need a haircut”

“It's never too late to have a happy childhood.”
― Tom Robbins

Posts: 20 | Location: N. FL | Registered: January 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Until the bad guys get too twitchy.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post