SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    P6 What ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P6 What ammo Login/Join 
posted
I just pulled one of those German Police P6's out of the safe that hasn't been used since 2008. What 9mm are you all using for range and carry?
Thank you.

Posts: 21 | Location: MN | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Federal 115gr +P+ 9BPLE

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that some (most?) P6s won't reliably feed many hollowpoints. I don't recall if there's a certain year/serial range where the feed ramp was tweaked for greater reliability with hollowpoints, or if it was an issue throughout production.

So just because a certain load works for other folks, doesn't mean it'll work reliably in your P6. You'll definitely want to test any prospective defensive load in your specific P6 before settling on it.

If you end up with a P6 that won't feed standard hollowpoints, there are some options out there for defensive ammo that more closely mimics the profile of FMJ ammo, including stuff like Hornady Critical Defense, Corbon Powrball, or Federal Guard Dog EFMJ.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P6 likes all hardball ammo and the Federal 9BP hollow point. Have not tried any other hollow point ammo in it.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There were many threads on this back when the P6 was hot. I seem to recall the feed ramp change for hp's was made about 7/92, but some of the other members will know for sure. 9BP, and 9BPLE, feeds in anything I ever tried it in. I would think anything with a long, pointy nose would work, but you need to try it first. Would be good to have a fresh recoil spring for the 9BPLE.

Posts: 1638 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had flawless feeding Critical Defense out of two or three 225s.

Posts: 2558 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tschiemer:
I have had flawless feeding Critical Defense out of two or three 225s.

P225 has a different barrel w/ better feed ramp than the P6.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watergoat any recommendation for P-6/225 recoil spring weight useing Federal 9BPLE +P+.

Posts: 185 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watergoat:
There were many threads on this back when the P6 was hot. I seem to recall the feed ramp change for hp's was made about 7/92, but some of the other members will know for sure. 9BP, and 9BPLE, feeds in anything I ever tried it in. I would think anything with a long, pointy nose would work, but you need to try it first. Would be good to have a fresh recoil spring for the 9BPLE.

I use these (Federal 9BP & 9BPLE) in anything older model that I suspect could have feed issues. Selective on what is strong enough for BPLE +P+. May not be the latest whiz bang round but has good street credibility.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post