SIGforum
P6 What ammo

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410601935/m/1950031274

July 08, 2020, 09:33 PM
Bagman
P6 What ammo
I just pulled one of those German Police P6's out of the safe that hasn't been used since 2008. What 9mm are you all using for range and carry?
Thank you.

July 09, 2020, 12:08 AM
YellowJacket
Federal 115gr +P+ 9BPLE

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
July 09, 2020, 06:39 AM
RogueJSK
Keep in mind that some (most?) P6s won't reliably feed many hollowpoints. I don't recall if there's a certain year/serial range where the feed ramp was tweaked for greater reliability with hollowpoints, or if it was an issue throughout production.

So just because a certain load works for other folks, doesn't mean it'll work reliably in your P6. You'll definitely want to test any prospective defensive load in your specific P6 before settling on it.

If you end up with a P6 that won't feed standard hollowpoints, there are some options out there for defensive ammo that more closely mimics the profile of FMJ ammo, including stuff like Hornady Critical Defense, Corbon Powrball, or Federal Guard Dog EFMJ.
July 09, 2020, 09:33 AM
sig operator
My P6 likes all hardball ammo and the Federal 9BP hollow point. Have not tried any other hollow point ammo in it.
July 09, 2020, 12:41 PM
Watergoat
There were many threads on this back when the P6 was hot. I seem to recall the feed ramp change for hp's was made about 7/92, but some of the other members will know for sure. 9BP, and 9BPLE, feeds in anything I ever tried it in. I would think anything with a long, pointy nose would work, but you need to try it first. Would be good to have a fresh recoil spring for the 9BPLE.
November 16, 2020, 10:54 PM
tschiemer
I have had flawless feeding Critical Defense out of two or three 225s.
November 17, 2020, 01:14 PM
iron chef
quote:
Originally posted by tschiemer:
I have had flawless feeding Critical Defense out of two or three 225s.

P225 has a different barrel w/ better feed ramp than the P6.
November 23, 2020, 03:46 PM
Kobren
Watergoat any recommendation for P-6/225 recoil spring weight useing Federal 9BPLE +P+.
November 23, 2020, 08:23 PM
Wolfpacker
quote:
Originally posted by Watergoat:
There were many threads on this back when the P6 was hot. I seem to recall the feed ramp change for hp's was made about 7/92, but some of the other members will know for sure. 9BP, and 9BPLE, feeds in anything I ever tried it in. I would think anything with a long, pointy nose would work, but you need to try it first. Would be good to have a fresh recoil spring for the 9BPLE.

I use these (Federal 9BP & 9BPLE) in anything older model that I suspect could have feed issues. Selective on what is strong enough for BPLE +P+. May not be the latest whiz bang round but has good street credibility.