Find
Notify
Tools

NOVX 9mm ammo Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
Has anyone tried this?

Looks very interesting. Stainless case, copper bullet. 65 grains and up to 1710 fps!

I just ordered a box but wondered if anyone has tried this?

Thanks in advance. NOVX +P 9mm 65gr[/url][URL=]NOVX 9mm +P 65 gr

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
What they hell is up with the stainless steel case? WTF? Brass expands to the chamber...will stainless do the same?

I believe this is the same bullet, for much less.
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...lycase-arx-lead-free

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
What they hell is up with the stainless steel case? WTF? Brass expands to the chamber...will stainless do the same?

I believe this is the same bullet, for much less.
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...lycase-arx-lead-free

Im not sure on the casing. I’m trying to decide if this is good carry ammo.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
You're better off carrying what local pds in your area carry. Stick with the tried and true manufacturers.

I wrote a policy where my guys can't buy and carry stuff like this off duty. I give them ammo so they won't have to buy gimmicky stuff. If they have a home gun, fine whatever but if it's one of your approved off duty weapons, you carry the ammo I give you.

Reminds me of the rip ammo. Or whatever it was called.

If I want light weight high velocity ammo out of a handgun, it'll be the standard 357sig round.

Here's an old article.

https://homedefensegun.net/gimmick-ammo/

Let us know how Novx performs.

Trust me. I've been through this. Anyone remember Aguila IQ ammo?
I might still have a box somewhere.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NOVX is just another fly by night "custom" manufacturer that's loading ARX bullets (an unproven design) into Shell Shock Technologies two-piece cases.

For those not familiar with Shell Shock cases:
https://www.shellshocktechnologies.com/sst-products/

Posts: 259 | Registered: December 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Guys. When I received it I was surprised at how light it was.

I fired ten of the rounds. Five from my 43 and five from my gen 5 19. Functioned flawlessly. I wonder of the performance when fired through a vehicle door or residential door, fence or drywall; just for example.

We issue Federal HST 147 gr 9mm. We have had great luck with it and no issues.

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
Thanks, Guys. When I received it I was surprised at how light it was.

I fired ten of the rounds. Five from my 43 and five from my gen 5 19. Functioned flawlessly. I wonder of the performance when fired through a vehicle door or residential door, fence or drywall; just for example.

We issue Federal HST 147 gr 9mm. We have had great luck with it and no issues.

Penetration of a 65gr bullet compared to the 147gr?
65gr, 9mm, NOT in my gun for self defense.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought two boxes of Novx 9mm from Midway. Opened first box and one half of bullet fell onto floor. It sheared at the case straight across. I'm not so sure this product is the way to go. I've never experienced this before. Personally I feel that I buy Personal Defense instead of hand load to assure no issues. I pay more for that peace of mind. Could this cause a problem to feed, load or misfire. My confidence in this product is pretty low. Midway nor Novx have not responded to my request for assistance. It appears the hype and numbers may be only part of the story.

Posts: 1 | Registered: September 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
represented 2 rather large loading operations in California many years ago. They were approached by the developer of this bullet back in the late 1980's or early 90"s, and of course it was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. It was, if my memory hasn't gone bad, someone that ran the Devel Corp. They were in business to modify pistols for carry. Both my clients tested these bullets and were not impressed, of course there is a chance they were wrong. However, one of these folks was an ordnance engineer with a Masters Degree in Physics, and founded a very well known ammunition company. The other one was the largest loader in the state, doing both new and reloaded ammo. He made a fortune selling his wares at gun shows and by mail order. In my opinion, if this was a viable product, one of the larger ammo companies would have bought this bullet company out and used it their own ammo.

Posts: 90 | Registered: December 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
With the availability of Federal HST for not much more than target loads, I don’t know why people are looking for a type of SD ammo to use. It performs better across all weights and pressures than any others.

The only reason I can see not to use HST would be if you have feed issues with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The recent write-up in American Rifleman persuaded me to order a few boxes of this ammo. I had a feeling that it was one of those to-good-to-be-true things but didn't think to check here first. Next time I will, though.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
The recent write-up in American Rifleman persuaded me to order a few boxes of this ammo. I had a feeling that it was one of those to-good-to-be-true things but didn't think to check here first. Next time I will, though.

Just because it's in American Rifleman doesn't negate the possibility of it being a load of crap opinion with no proven facts to back it up.

Close to $30 for a small box of ammo with no track record? Oh hell no.
Not when a 50rd box of HST can be had for under $20.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
My brother gave me a box, and since I had never heard of it went to utube. Pretty impressive at first blush, but reliable etc? Who knows

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tBU3Xf1WNHc

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post