SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Quality of Hornady Black ammunition—?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality of Hornady Black ammunition—? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I once saw a passing reference here to the idea that the “Black” line of Hornady ammunition was of poorer quality than other the company's versions. An Internet search found various references to poor results that individuals had with various loads, but nothing about its being loaded to lower quality control standards. Can anyone comment on that rumor?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Edited:

I’m wrong, I was shooting federal black pack .22lr, not Hornady black.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pale Horse,

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I’ve only shot the .22lr but I’ve shot it through various guns and not had any failures so far. It feeds and fires just fine and seems accurate enough though I’ve only fired it indoors and at shorter ranges.

Interesting. I have never seen Hornady .22LR. Shot a lot of .22 Mag however.

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
I tried some Hornady Black in my 6.5 Creedmoor while I was waiting for dies and brass to arrive and it performed very well. I’ve talked to others that have used 6.5 Grendel Hornady Black and all were pleased.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bustabuddy:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I’ve only shot the .22lr but I’ve shot it through various guns and not had any failures so far. It feeds and fires just fine and seems accurate enough though I’ve only fired it indoors and at shorter ranges.

Interesting. I have never seen Hornady .22LR. Shot a lot of .22 Mag however.

Well, that’s because I’m an idiot. I have Federal black pack .22lr, which is not Hornady Black. My apologies.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I used Hornady "black" sbr ammo & have very good results.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I shoot it in my .450 Bushmaster and have been completely happy with the results. A few deer may differ though.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post