SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Anyone ever heard of Agulla?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever heard of Agulla? Login/Join 
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
I just bought my first box of Aguuila .22 interceptor. It is very erratic, some rounds way too hot usually my rifle can shoot a 2" group, with this ammo it was 5 1/2 inches vertical dispersion. This may just be a bad lot.

Posts: 2105 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Fowler:
I just bought my first box of Aguuila .22 interceptor. It is very erratic, some rounds way too hot usually my rifle can shoot a 2" group, with this ammo it was 5 1/2 inches vertical dispersion. This may just be a bad lot.

No Aguila 22lr ammo is known for its accuracy. With Aguila's supersonic ammo (such as Interceptor) it is even worse -- you need a big target if you expect to hit it.

Posts: 4507 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Thanks: too bad and I would really like to find some great ammo that would put CCI & Federal to shame. Have been trying everything I can get in a very accurate rifle and have a stack of targets with 10 shot groups, some great, Aquila interceptor was the worst.

I would not shoot it without safety glasses!!!

Posts: 2105 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Accuracy in 22lr is pretty much owned by the big three brands -- Eley, Lapua, and RWS. Every chamber and barrel has its preference, but without going to the top of their respective lines, you might try:

Eley -- Target (yellow box) and Club (orange box)

Lapua -- their SK line, Rifle Match and Standard Plus
Wolf (made in Lapua's factory) -- Extra or Target

RWS -- Rifle Match (yellow box) and Target Rifle (orange box)
Geco (made by RWS) -- Match
Norma (made by RWS) -- Match

Posts: 4507 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
I have to agree, hard to find locally, but when it shows up it is good times. I do all my shooting at 50 yards and further, makes comparisons easy. It is the journey that is fun. As well as sharing information with others that are interested.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Got 2 boxes of .22LR today by this company. Never heard of it before. The LGS has 5 more boxes. Any thoughts?

Shot about 100 rds of the Aguila .22lr Super Extra and 200 rds of CCI .22lr Standard Velocity.

Gun:
Ruger 10/22
Green Mountain Bull Barrel (18")
4x Simmons scope
All other items Ruger stock

At the range running some .223 (AR15) and .44 mag (Marlin 1894) reloads through their paces. Shot the 10/22 in between for fun and to stay focused on the reloads.

Shot 50 rds of CCI following by 40 rds of Aguila, then 100 rds of CCI, 40 rds of Aguila, 50 rds CCI, and finally 20 rds of Aguila.

First thing I noticed was the smoke and smell from the Aguila. More than a bit of smoke the first round which just lingered under my nose. Next thing noticed was the smoke's aroma. Very distinct from CCI's.

Accuracy - Truth be told, the Aguila was more accurate at 50 yds than the CCI.. Holes were typically atop each other where the CCI's holes were either just touching or next to each other.

"Flyers" - CCI had noticeably fewer (about 1/30 rds vs 2-3/30).

Overall - a case of Aqulla vs a case of CCI should only depend on price and for the need to change.

YMMV of course.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LS1 GTO,

Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul.

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

Some people listen to the noise of the world,
And some people listen to the quiet.

Posts: 7346 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Good report, appreciate the information.

posted Hide Post
It's about the best stuff outta Mexico since someone said taco. It's great for target use.

I am Groot

Posts: 229 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
They also make a powderless .22LR. Not a typo. 20gr. bullet propelled by the primer only.

It won't cycle anything (obviously), but it will clear the barrel of a 10/22 with impressive velocity and is obviously fairly silent.

Fun to play with, but I wouldn't use it for anything serious.

-Rob

Are you talking about CB caps? The ones I have are 20 gr.

Posts: 29 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by druryj:
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Great! Hoping the 15-22 will run with it.

Mine eats it up just fine. I buy Aquila .22lr ammo at Academy pretty often and the local indoor range I use often has it on the shelf too. It works fine in all four of my rimfire guns. I'd compare it to the old Federal Bulk pack we used to see...the stuff in the purplish box from Wally World or the blue box from Academy.

The Academy stores around Central Florida carry the Federal Premium® Champion™ AutoMatch .22 LR 40-Grain at $18.99 for 325 rounds - that's cheaper than Aguila.

Posts: 29 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
I use their .22LR Interceptor in my Ruger 22/45 Mark III. I believe it's a 40gr bullet traveling at 1470 fps, and it's noticeably stouter than other .22s I've used.

No functionality issues, and as a plus, I get the best groups from it.

I did a side by side with CCI green tag, Norma match, federal gold medal, Winchester and Remington. They range from 1080 to around 1280 fps. The only issues were the Remington...it simply wouldn't function. Constant stove pipes.

JPFO Life Member
Kentucky State Rifle & Pistol Association Member

Posts: 1077 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting a lot of Aguila 22LR Pistol Match over the last six months, and have come to love this round. It's quite accurate, and the 40 gr bullets are firmly clinched in the cases. It's an unusual round in one respect – at 925 FPS, it's at the low end of std vel. There are a couple of benefits to that. First, the breech stays cleaner because of the low chamber pressure. Second, it's very easy on the pistol. Despite the low velocity, the round cycles perfectly in my Beretta 87 Target.

Cognition?
On.

Posts: 1322 | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post