SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    300 Blackout for hogs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Blackout for hogs Login/Join 
posted
Is it superior to a 223? Today at the range a guy was shooting a scoped Rock River Arms 300 Blackout getting ready for a hog hunting trip to Arkansas. He said they try for head shots. I had never seen the round before, he was shooting handloads with a black polymer tip.

The guy was real friendly, but I forgot to ask him what may seem like a dumb question: Is the 300 Blackout better than a 223 for hogs?

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
300 Blackout=30 cal vs 5.56mm/.223=22 cal. It's bigger and heavier going to have better knock down/kill power. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
.300 Blackout performs similarly to 7.62x39. I use 7.62x39 against hogs all the time, with good results. Just understand that you'll need to stick to closer ranges. (100 yards and under is my preference.)

.223 is usable, but not ideal. .300 would be a better choice.

With a hog, most calibers will suffice, provided you're close enough and have effective shot placement. (I even know people who have/do hunt hogs at close range with a .22, though it's not something I'd do.) Larger calibers just lessen the need to be as close and as precise.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Sub or super sonic rounds?
Big difference in performance depending on weight and velocity.

I shoot 220gr bullets through my 16” carbine and 8.5” pistol. They work great for suppressors... very quiet, pretty good thump at close range. But basically 45ACP ballistics (220gr at 1000fps or less)

I have no xperience with the supersonic loads which are USUALLY about 110gr bullets running in the neighborhood of 2250 FPS.

I’ve also seen 147 and (I believe) 125gr offerings in 300blk.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hudr,

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know about hogs as I've not hunted any (yet) but 300 BLK with factory 110 Hornady drop deer out of my suppressed T/C rifle. I keep shots under 200 yards (Mostly under 100) and shoot for lungs.

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a 223 55 grain Barns kills wild boars like Thors hammer. Same goes for the Winchester 64 grain power points that I used to use. Copper rules here now. Never used the 300, nothing wrong the 7.62 x 39 . They have to be about the same. Actually pigs die easy.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
300 BLK & 5.56 both work well with good shot placement. There are better calibers in AR15 platform. My preference would be 6.8 SPC, especially for shots > 150 yards. For < 150 yards, .458 SOCOM is superior to either 300 or 5.56.

Both 6.8 and 458 give you margin for shots on moving targets and less than ideal placement.

Lonestar Boars You Tube has excellent videos with caliber comparison.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
The black tip is typically 110 grn Barnes ammunition. I keep some in my SBR as it has the added benefit of being barrier blind and the round the FBI says is good enough for their HRT team.

For hunting people cannot say enough good about it. It is effective down to 1400fps (meaning it still expands) and things that get hit with it tend to die.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
For < 150 yards, .458 SOCOM is superior to either 300 or 5.56.

.450 Bushmaster is another solid choice for a big bore AR hog round. Similar in performance to .458, especially at closer ranges.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post