SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    429 ft/lbs from a .312 bullet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

429 ft/lbs from a .312 bullet Login/Join 
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted

Interesting ammo find at the LGS in .327 Federal Magnum.
It should be pretty snappy.
Anybody ever shot Jamison Brass ammunition?

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Ear plus & muffs are in order for that loading!

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silhouette Shooter
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger Single Seven, 7.5" barrel. I chronographed two Federal factory loads as follows:

100 Gr - 1626 fps
85 Gr - 1600 fps

The 85 Gr load is a lower recoil load. My handloads have not reached these velocities, however (at least with pressure levels I am comfortable with.)

It is my understanding that Federal uses a non-canister powder in this cartridge, to reduce the large velocity spreads (150-200 fps) often encountered when loading for the 327. Don't know if Jamison has solved this issue. Federal has in their loadings.

YMMV

Posts: 464 | Location: Fairfax, VA | Registered: March 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Mike--
That's great info to have, as I have not yet begun reloading the .327 Federal Magnum. It is in the works for the spring.
Your 7.5" barrel really gives some oomph to the .327. My first gun in this caliber is a LCR. So, the energy and fps ratings will be much lower. But still...they are impressive numbers.
I hope to have a 3" or 4" SP101 or GP100 by summer.
I look forward to working up different loads for this caliber. It is VERY intriguing and flexible.
Thanks.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silhouette Shooter
posted Hide Post
There are some things to know about reloading for the 327. It has a long narrow case which does not lend itself to consistent powder ignition. Loads tend to have wide velocity swings, of 150-200 fps or more. This does not help accuracy.

If you have access to Handloader Magazine, check out issue 294 (Feb-Mar 2015) and issue 312 (Feb-Mar 2018) for an article that Brian Pearce wrote and a long answer to some questions I asked about reloading issues with the 327.

Some things I have done to help are:

Use an RCBS .32 Auto sizer die instead of the 32 S&W Long/Mag sizer (.3295" ID vs .332"ID). The larger sizer provides almost no neck tension with Starline brass with a wall thickness of 0.010", when using 0.312" bullets. The .32 Auto die is much better.

Use an RCBS expander plug marked 0.309" which measures 0.3078".

Trim cases each loading and use a firm roll crimp.

Uniform primer pockets and flash holes.

All of these things helped, but did not eliminate the velocity spread issue. Sorting cases by weight had no effect.

In Handloader 312 Brian Pearce talks about trying a variety of different primers. He found that this has a big effect, but there was no logic to it. So, this is what I am going to try next.

I have a feeling that the .327 Federal is going to be a lot like the .22 Hornet, where you can spend a lifetime reloading for it and never get a great load, except by pure blind luck!

All this being said, I really like the Ruger Single Seven in .327. It's a lot of fun to shoot. Its just a challenge at the loading bench.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike_in_VA,

Posts: 464 | Location: Fairfax, VA | Registered: March 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Thank you SO much for that information, Mike!
I'm in the gathering stage to reload .327 this spring (dies and brass), as 9mm has been my sole focus the last few years.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 55 | Location: Boston | Registered: May 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Excellent link, RKG .
Great info!