SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    556 storage.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

556 storage. Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
I have a couple thousand rounds of the zqi SS109. I like the ammo. It's great for plinking and is fairly accurate for foreign bulk ammo.

The problem I have is the glue on the 30 round boxes is disintegrating. I don't want an ammo can full of loosepack 556 if I can help it. Is there a better storage solution?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have lots of .223 loose in ammo cans. I throw in a small desiccant pack just in case.
What is you particular concern with having it loose?

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Ammo can, works great.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I know you said you don't like loose but I fill up ammo cans with loose target ammo and throw in a desiccant.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You could buy some more magazines, and store all the ammo in magazines. Big Grin

I don't see the problem with loose rounds either. All my bulk plinking ammo is either loose in ammo cans, or loaded into practice mags. When I'm headed to the range, I grab some loaded mags. When I get back from the range, I reload the empty mags from the loose rounds in the ammo cans.

Posts: 32424 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If the glue on the boxes is disintegrating, I’d definitely consider desiccant. If you don’t want to keep the ammunition in bulk storage, how about individual plastic zip-lock bags? If you don’t have some way of sucking the air out of the bags before sealing them, I would squeeze out as much as possible and then keep a close eye on them to ensure no moisture forms inside or other problems like corrosion develop.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This is a sign that you don't have enough magazines or ammo cans.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
to me its a sign you have a moisture problem the way your ammo is stowed away.
Let it dry itself off in a semi heated area for a few days and toss in 30 cal cans,those fifties are to damn heavy when you get old.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post