SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Subsonic 357 Sig?

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Subsonic 357 Sig? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Found these:

http://www.detroitammoco.com/a...-147gr-hp-50-rounds/

"Condition: Remanufactured
Bullet Weight: 147 Grain
Bullet Type: Hollow Point
Ammo Casing: Brass or Nickel
Quantity: 50
Ammo Caliber: 357 SIG
Primer Type: Boxer
Velocity: 950 fps "

Any experience with these, or know of others?

Edit: Thanks Chowser, I see it now.

Posts: 7859 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
No experience but he has a classified ad here.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 4644 | Location: South of Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's absolutely no info about the company on their website. I wouldn't trust their ammo just as I wouldn't trust 99.99% of the other start up ammo companies out there. They're a dime a dozen.

Posts: 253 | Registered: December 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not real sure I see the appeal. Since a .357 SIG is essentially a super fast 9mm, if you slow it down to subsonic what advantage does it offer over 9mm?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 715 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
I'm not real sure I see the appeal. Since a .357 SIG is essentially a super fast 9mm, if you slow it down to subsonic what advantage does it offer over 9mm?

None.

But a threaded 357 Sig barrel is less expensive than a whole new 9MM handgun.

Posts: 7859 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about a threaded .40 S&W barrel as an alternative? Plenty of subsonic available in that cartridge.

Posts: 254 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
What about a threaded .40 S&W barrel as an alternative? Plenty of subsonic available in that cartridge.

Much better idea IMO.

180 and 200 are subsonic all day long and widely available for cheap.

Posts: 54 | Registered: September 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
First, I dont see the point of a subsonic 357 sig.

Second, I never trust ammo reloaded by other people. Ive seen and heard of too many guns blowing up because of poor QC with these little companies that pop up.

I had one customer that blew up his gun with 9mm reloads. He tried to go back on the company to make them pay for it, but he found they were no longer in business. Go figure.

Posts: 6165 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be very cautious about using 147gr in the .357sig. Most likely, it is simply a 9mm 147gr bullet that has been stuffed in a .357sig casing. The problem with that is that 9mm bullets are designed with a much longer ogive for COAL purposes, and there could be some weak seating and crimping problems if you try to use it in the .357sig. .357sig has such a weak bullet crimp to begin with....

Federal used to make a 150gr JHP for the .357sig in the 1990s, but as the popularity of the .357sig has decreased they ceased production.

If you want top of the line JHP loads in subsonic velocities, you are MUCH better off just using 9mm, .40S&W, or .45acp. Those calibers receive priority technological development in that category, and you will get a wider variety of loadings to fit your needs. Unfortunately, the major manufacturers pretty much limit their .357sig product line to 125gr bullets.

Those to train as though they will be in a fight at their best, will fail when they realize that they must fight at their worst.

Posts: 419 | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post