SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Which 9mm for carry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 9mm for carry Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
147 HSTs in my duty 226 and 124 Federal bonded in my backup 938. The 938 seems to like the lighter bullet. We also have carried 124 +P Gold Dots and HSTs , but I like the heavier bullet in my 226 full stainless duty gun.

After having shot +P and +P+ rounds, I find my old hands like the none +P heavier bullets...

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
SG ammo is carrying 9BP's for $13.95/box of fifty.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
SG ammo is carrying 9BP's for $13.95/box of fifty.
Oh? Maybe I should get some more, because this load (in blue 20-round boxes marked "Personal Defense") is showing discontinued on Federal's website. The "Train + Protect" load appears to be a close equivalent.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rickys2
posted Hide Post
Speer gold dot 147gr rn for me. First most the time I use a suppressor so you need subsonic ammo (I know some 124 are subsonic) but I always believed mast over speed. In SD mode I don't need my bullet speeding thru you. I want it to stay in you, so you can feel the heat and you take all shock of the bullet. The latest is Speer 147gr G2 used by the FBI and our special OPs.

Rick

Posts: 96 | Location: Miami | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I carry 115gr Critical Defense.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
My personal preference is 147gr HST. We issue 124gr Gold Dot standard pressure for our P365 and LC9s. I'm not crazy about the standard pressure GD out of a short barrel, but it did alright when the Range tested it.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I’ve standardized everything to 147gr HST.

Before I used 124gr HST or GDHP, depending what was more readily available.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I like 124 grain HST in +P. Ballistics closely match NATO milsurp I shoot for practice.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've often found it interesting that the HST is the most recommended in 9mm but its the XTP in 380ACP.
Note not one mention of a 9mm XTP load in this thread.

I rarely carry a 9mm any more. But it was Federal 115 (9BP and 9BPLE) and then various 124 loads for me. These days I prefer a 45ACP with 230gr HST or Ranger-T with a 380ACP BUG loaded with either 90gr XTP or 95gr flat nose / truncated cone FMJ.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
115 gn Federal 9BP was one of the recommended loads to try in an older Sig P6 for reliability. Worked well for me and in my other 9 mm pistols. Found a sale on a case and never looked back.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
9 BPLE for me , 115 g +P+

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Heavy4Caliber
posted Hide Post
Federal HST and/or Speer Gold Dot in 147gr are my standard "go-to" rounds for carry. However, I recently picked up about 160 rounds of Underwood Speer 124 +P+ that I've been very impressed with.

“An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.” - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper

Posts: 4 | Registered: December 27, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Federal HST is my preferred ammo for any caliber. I love how it expands and how consistent it is at its expansion. It also has very good weight retention when going through a variety of barriers.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
People can split hairs over this but it's hard to go wrong with Gold Dot 124+p's.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've migrated to 147 HST or G2 gold dots. They have functioned well in P320C, P320 SC, P226, M9, P239, S&W M&P 9 and 9c. I haven't tried them in the smaller frame/shorter pistols, so I can't recommend them to you. I'd tell you to get samples of a number of the loads mentioned here and try them out for reliability. Down range effects don't mean much if the pistol will not cycle them.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
9BPLE 115gr +P+ 1200-1300 FPS and has a good history.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig Legion. Awesome.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the HST 147gr.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Presently my G17 mags are stoked with American Gunner Hornady 115gr. XTP’s.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post