SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Which 9mm for carry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 9mm for carry Login/Join 
posted
I posted about the two new guns I bought-a Hellcat and a P365XL. I also have a Glock 43X and a G42 in 380.

I've been carrying Hornady Critical Defense for all the 9mm guns in 115 grain, though I just tried some 124s and liked them fine.

In the "old" days I used Silver Tips and 9BPs, but haven't seen them locally for a few years.

I'm running low on the Hornadys and, before I buy more, I thought I'd ask what you recommend for a 9mm carry load in smaller, light guns (not +P as it bothers the arthritis in my wrist and thumb).

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speer Gold Dot

-or-

Federal HST

they are both available in 124 and 147 grain

can't go wrong with either / or

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
Yep. Specials on Gold Dot from Target Sports. Buy cheap and stack it deep.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Speer Gold Dot

-or-

Federal HST

can't go wrong with either / or

--------------------------

This right here.

Most of my carry guns are loaded with Speer Gold Dots, usually +P 124gr.

A couple are loaded with Federal HSTs, ( 124gr standard velocity ).

For me, it comes down to which of the above two brands, velocity and bullet weight an individual pistol functions and groups the best with.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks. I just bought several boxes of Gold Dots, 115s, 124s and a couple of boxes of 147s.

Years ago, when the 147 gr 9s came out they were touted to be just what the 9 needed to compete with real bullets. Eek

While I never shot any, nor did I ever see or hear of anyone shot with a 147, I recall that the 147 was fairly quickly thought of as worthless or nearly so, at least in the Gun Mags (Rags?).

See quite a few posters, on different forums, talking about the 147gr 9s again and thought I'd see what you folks think about them.

I ordered just two boxes, 40 rounds, so if they are still thought of as junk, more or less, I can just shoot them up for practice.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
147gr is almost all I shoot anymore. Interesting that they were thought of as junk at one point.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have never been a fan of heavy bullet loads for self-defense handgun use. As someone (Evan Marshall?) pointed out when the 147 grain 9mm load suddenly became the darling of the FBI and then of course other agencies jumped on the bandwagon, the original loadings had essentially the same ballistics as the ancient 158 grain 38 S&W Special round that was the standard police load for decades, and which had a well-deserved reputation for poor performance. Of course, bullets make a difference, and though early 147 grain JHPs didn’t perform very well, things have improved significantly in the 30-some years since the 147 9mm was introduced. But so have the bullets in other weights and loads.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I favor Gold Dots, HST, Sig's new P365 ammo and Hornady CD. I think any of the modern, top tier loads will be fine in terms of performance on target, just make sure the rounds run right in whatever gun you feed them to.

So having said that, I just buy whatever I find online or at my LGS that is on sale and am happy. I have Gold Dots in a couple, HST in another, Hornady CD in another. Not worried, as long as the rounds feed properly and go bang, they will do the job if I do my part.

But to keep it simple, if price was the same for all of them, I'd buy Federal HST in 124 Gr standard and be happy. No, wait...Gold Dots. Or maybe the Hornady CD rounds ...or...

Posts: 127 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
124gr +p Gold Dots for me.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since you do not want anything +P rated, any of the standard pressure premium loads from Federal(HST or 9BP- yes it is still available for a reason), Speer(Gold Dot or Gold Dot Short Barrel), Winchester(Ranger), etc will work fine. See what brand/bullet weight works best for you, and than buy a bunch!

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 367 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Hornady Critical Defense 115 grain for me.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remington Black Belt 124 gr.

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 545 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
The Federal standard velocity JHP (stock # 9BP )has a reputation and track record of excellent real world results.

The 9BP is not a new design, but it has worked well for years and can often be had at good prices...

FWIW

CHuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I am satisfied with plain old Federal 9BP as well. Massad Ayoob finds it to be one of the top "accuracy loads" in the guns he tests.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
124 gr Speer Gold Dots, simply because I have practiced with it and I have boxes of the stuff. Who knows, I might shoot up the rounds and just buy HST, but at this time, I don't see the need.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Standard pressure 147gr HST or 135gr CRITICAL DUTY are my preference in 9mm.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the input on 9mm ammo. I'd think other members are getting good info from you folks, too.

As I said, I bought a bunch of Gold Dots in varying weights. I found some more Critical Defense in my desk along with some Federals which I haven't ID'd yet as HST or something else. I moved them into a closet and have been kinda busy and haven't checked 'em out yet.

Don't recall buying them or stashing them in my desk. Oh, well....

I haven't seen any 9BPs for sale anywhere, though I haven't tried to find them on line. The BPs and the Silver Tips were the cat's meow back in the old days.

Bob

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
My guns and I both like Federal HST. I tend to go for the heaviest bullet for caliber that I can find, but in sub-compact 9mm, I stick with 124 grain because I know it works well in my 938.

I've also had good reliability and accuracy with Speer Gold Dot 124 grain.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tend to stay with HSTs or Gold Dots in 124 or 147.

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post