SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    .45 Colt Ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 Colt Ammo Login/Join 
posted
I have recently purchased a 5 1/2 and 4 5/8 Ruger Vaquero. What is a good mfg/load for plinking. I would also like to use hotter loads. I will be adding a .45 colt lever action at some point. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
For range use, I like this Fiocchi Cowboy load. It is about the least expensive that I have found (when I am too lazy to reload).

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...flat-point-box-of-50

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The ULTRAMAX brand is popular with a couple of new CAS shooters that shoot with us that have not started to reload...they seem to shoot well and the brass is very good to keep when you do start to reload...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...roducts_id/712002962

Another good source is Georgia Arms...

http://www.georgia-arms.com/45-long-colt-3/

Locally any factory .45 Colt ammunition is priced over $40 a box....45 Colt is one of those calibers that scream "Reload Me!" due to its cost.

One thing to consider before shooting the higher power loads in your Rugers...are they the heavier framed "old models" or the lighter framed New Model Vaqueros? The New Model Vaqueros are no longer made on the Blackhawk frames and have slightly smaller diameter cylinders...they are closer to the Colt SAA in size.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bisley, They are the new model. Thanks for the info.

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I've found the best prices, as well as the best selection, at my local Cabelas. I really like my Vaquero.

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the OP plans to shoot a lot of 45LC ammo, he/she better be (1) wealthy, or (2) willing to handload the spent brass. This caliber is one of my favorites, and not a problem to handload.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
If the OP plans to shoot a lot of 45LC ammo, he/she better be (1) wealthy, or (2) willing to handload the spent brass. This caliber is one of my favorites, and not a problem to handload.

I would like to reload at some point. I just bought a lever gun today also in 45 colt. Wanted info on good vs bad 45 colt ammo. Thanks everyone for the info.

posted Hide Post
.45 Colt is one of my favorite rounds and an easy cartridge to reload. With cast bullets, it is also pretty economical. I bought a lot of my reloading equipment used. If you shoot a lot of .45 Colt, you will pay for your equipment in short order.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love shooting the .45lc round but it also nearly brings me to tears when I think about what every round is costing me.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3522 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found that fiocchi seems to be the best cheap ammo. Armscor is not consistent in its rim thickness. As about every 7th round locks up the cylinder of my freedom arms. The sig ammo was quite good.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The .45 Colt - especially for anything with the word "Ruger" on it, is a hand loader's dream! If keeping withing the SAAMI spec, the best bullet is the old-school, tried and true, 255 grain lead, flat point loaded to around 850 fps from a 4-3/4" barrel.

However, since the Ruger frame easily allows it, the hand loader can craft loads a bit hotter without fear. A 225 grain slug at 1,150 fps is mighty impressive from the big .45 Colt and it can go even higher...really up to .44 Magnum power with chamber pressures around 25K psi.

Except for Buffalo Bore and Underwood, all "performance" ammo is anemic. With short barrels dropping bullet weight to 200-225 grains for use against two-legged predators, allows bullet speed to jump easily above 1,200 fps which is a d***-String busting load!

Posts: 30 | Registered: July 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post