SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Need 45acp ammo advice please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need 45acp ammo advice please. Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
Looking for suggestions for 45acp self defense load for a Glock 30S. Thank you.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Giving a very standard reply. Federal HST 230 grain. You choice of standard pressure or +P. I'd go with +P in the short barrel pistol to make up some velocity.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ This. My go to 45 load is the standard pressure HST.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I prefer Speer Gold Dot myself.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Standard pressure Gold Dot, HST or Golden Saber for me.

That being said ANY half decent HP around that functions will be fine. The difference between Win White Box JHP and Federal HST most certainly exists but it’s not spitball vs cruise missile.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Standard pressure Gold Dot, HST or Golden Saber for me.

That being said ANY half decent HP around that functions will be fine. The difference between Win White Box JHP and Federal HST most certainly exists but it’s not spitball vs cruise missile.

Any of these 3, but whatever you do run a 100 rounds through the gun to make sure the ammo you choose functions in it. Most .45 acp's can be a little finicky about hollowpoints compared to other calibers.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Hand loaded 185gr JHP for me.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Speer Gold Dots

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
We have a subforum dedicated to ammunition, you know...

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The load, whatever it is, must function in the gun. However deeply the bullet penetrates, how much it expands or whatever floats your boat does no good if it is hung up on a feed ramp.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^This^^^

Posts: 590 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I prefer Speer Gold Dot myself.

I carried a 1911 for years.
My defensive load was Gold Dot and I trained with Lawman, both by Speer, both in 230gr.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I found this website a while back. It has some very concise information on a number of calibers and manufacturers. I found it extremely informative.

For my EDC I use Federal 124gr HST +P 9mm.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: texassierra,

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
My primary magazine is standard pressure HST in 230gr. My secondary magazine is standard pressure Gold Dot in either 185gr or 230gr. I follow this in my 3", 4" and 4.25" pistols.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use one of the three 45 Ranger loads. I have no problem with either of the HST or Gold Dot, even Hydra Shock.

Posts: 764 | Location: SW Illinois St Louis Metro East | Registered: November 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
230g HST for me, but I'd be comfortable with Gold Dots too.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I use Hornady 200gr XTP's for SD in my 45's.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
I have a Glock 30S and a Colt Commander. I use HST, Gold Dots or Golden Sabre, all in 230 grain - whatever I can get my hands on.

They're all good loads.

Posts: 327 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post