SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Opinions on 22 suppressor for a newby
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on 22 suppressor for a newby Login/Join 
posted
After moving to a free state a few years ago am looking to get my feet wet in the suppressor world with a.22 can.
Please give me feedback on what you like or don’t and some Best Buy options.
I am looking for quiet (duh!) and easy maintenance
Cost doesn’t really matter, an extra $100 bucks for a better option won’t bother me. Low first round pop would be nice. Looking to swap between rifles and pistols to start.
I am pretty confused right now- what research I could do looked like it came down to an AAC element of SilencerCo sparrow? Seen posted not so good things on AAC customer service?
Let me know what you have and are happy with! Thanks

Posts: 3266 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have been waiting to pull the trigger on a 22 can. Went shooting with some friends yesterday. they had a couple of 22 cans between them and the dead air mask 22 can was the quietest by far. shooting sub sonic 22 on a tactical solutions x-ring rifle was amazingly quiet. I bought one today with silencer shop.

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Captain - I currently have four rimfire suppressors and you will laugh when you hear why I have four....Wife and I both enjoy shooting in the back yard area (we own 4 acres) but after some land was sold that put a new home about 300 feet from our home my wife said buy us two rimfire suppressors - so I did. I purchased two sparrows...Needless to say after they arrived we were quieter than we were before having the suppressors but only after the first round filled the tube with gas....

Then someone here posted about a new rimfire suppressor that had a significantly reduced first round pop so I watched several videos and the forum brain trust was right - The Dead Air Mask became my next two rimfire suppressors and we LOVE the Mask units...We rarely use the sparrows now that we have the Masks because the FRP on our pistols and rifles are almost as quiet as the rounds fired after the suppressor tube is filled with 2-3 rounds of rimfire gas.....

Others here may provide newer rimfire suppressors that have hit the market in the past 18-24 months that are better than the Mask but be sure to look at the videos on line related to the Mask...Mark

Posts: 3236 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Your info is out of date for Element or Sparrow.
22 suppressor needs to be light and short. Monocores tend to have first round pop. K baffles are quieter --> need to be stainless steel and enclosed for easier cleaning.
Length Weight in ounces
Ruger 5.37" (6.3)
Dead Air Mask 5.1 (6.6)
YankeeHillStinger 5.5 (6)
Liberty Regulator 6.5 (5.5) monocore
Tacsol Axiom 5.9 (6)
EnergeticArms Nyx 5.6 (3.6)
Nyx Mod 2 6.5 (4.15) full
3.7 (2.45) short
SilencercoSwitch 5.75 (6.5) full
3.59 (4.4) med
2.5 (3.2) short
This is a short list of stainless steel suppressors . The last 2 are modular--capable of different size/weight configurations. I only included Stainless steel for durability and ease of cleaning.

Posts: 2293 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’m a dealer and could get darn near any 22lr can I’d like and my favorites are the Rugged Oculus and Dead Air Mask. Customer service is great with both companies.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6993 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently have an AAC pilot and Dead Air Mask. Love the mask. I just ordered an OSS RAD22.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cntrl23
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Dead Air Mask 22! I researched high and low before making the purchase a few years ago. I could not be happier, it sounds fantastic. It’s used between a bolt action and semi auto .22 rifle, and a .22 pistol. An ultrasonic cleaner is also a good idea, as others mentioned, they get dirty rather quickly. I spent a couple of long days recently at the range with my son and several bulk pack boxes of .22, the results...

After cleaning:

The ultrasonic cleaner I use:

The Mask in action:

Posts: 179 | Location: MN | Registered: January 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Cntrl23- I agree rimfire is dirty. Ultrasonic helps- I use an inexpensive rotary tumbler with stainless steel pins ( Harbor Freight)
I pre treat with Silicon oil- heat k baffles in oven - soak in pure silicon oil.
Clean up ritual : soak in Carbon Killer for 1/2 hour, ultrasonic bath for 10 min, tumble overnight.

Posts: 2293 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I have four rimfire cans and will echo what dry-fly said. Either the Mask or Oculus will fill your needs. For your first few cans I always recommend buying brand names that will have good CS should you need it. Both Dead Air and Rugged fill this niche.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Cntrl23- I agree rimfire is dirty. Ultrasonic helps- I use an inexpensive rotary tumbler with stainless steel pins ( Harbor Freight)
I pre treat with Silicon oil- heat k baffles in oven - soak in pure silicon oil.
Clean up ritual : soak in Carbon Killer for 1/2 hour, ultrasonic bath for 10 min, tumble overnight.

SS pin tumbling is my cleaning method as well. Short of a soda blaster (which I hope to have soon) I think it’s your best bang-for-buck option.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
For the sake of completeness- use automobile anti seize on the threads and the blast baffle. Anti seize will prevent the lead and carbon from adhering to the blast baffle.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I agree on the DeadAir Mask for effective suppression but compare it to the Energetic NYX in terms of size/ weight.
Mask weighs in at 6.6 ounce
NYX weighs in at 3.6 ounce
NYX is the suppressor you want.

Picture of Cntrl23
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks, I’ll have to pick one of those up with a 20% off coupon I just got in the mail. Will try out the pure silicone oil pre treatment as well.

Posts: 179 | Location: MN | Registered: January 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree on the DeadAir Mask for effective suppression but compare it to the Energetic NYX in terms of size/ weight.
Mask weighs in at 6.6 ounce
NYX weighs in at 3.6 ounce
NYX is the suppressor you want.

SIGfourme - This post of yours is gonna cost me....I just finished watching a couple of videos on the NYX and now I really want one (or two - one for Ms. Sigarmsp226)....

That is one really nice suppressor.....Thanks for posting - I think... Smile...Mark

Posts: 3236 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Mark-aka sigarms
Capital Armory currently has a Black Friday sale going on--free trust with any suppressor purchase.
Free trust is worth $125.....

If you already have a trust
https://www.capitolarmory.com/...ay-cyber-monday.html
I would bet it's worth at least 10% off. Capital Armory got me with a 10% discount for posting an online review--a dedicated 9 mm can--CSG aka Kracken is now in jail.

posted Hide Post
SIGfourme - Thanks for the link. I have a Heavy D trust that I picked up thru this forum. I will still call to see what deal they will offer. I like the mod 2 version for its modularity. The price difference is only $40.00 so the Mod 2 may be the way to go...Thanks again for the information and the link...Mark

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Nyx Mod 2 adds one more baffle and can be converted to a 4 baffle stack in the short version. Capital Armory had the Nyx on sale as a demo--picked that up in a NY minute. I like the light weight of the Nyx at 3.6 ounces. I also like the Nyx for it's ability to handle 5.7 ammo on my PS 90. I went for weight on the Nyx-how many times am I going to run the Mod 2 in short configuration??
I run a CZ 455 bolt 22 with CCI Quiet--subsonic--truly quiet. Very accurate--the only sound I hear is the firing pin--then the paper being hit downrange. Need a litle more powder to cycle a semiauto--subsonic doesn't always work.
I run thru a lot of 22-the suppressors get really dirty. I "welded" a Yankee Hill Mite from the heat and the lead, requiring a trip back to the factory.
Very nice pics Cntrl123--are the insides of the baffles just as clean as the outside??

posted Hide Post
I've been shooting 22LR monthly rifle matches for a couple years. Lots of different 22 suppressors at these matches. If I were buying again, Thunderbeast 22 take-down would be my choice.

Guessing there's 22 matches in Arizona? Matches are great way to hear/see this stuff first hand and a lot of fun!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently shoot NRL22 matches but only a couple guys are running suppressed.
While I will use on a rifle I suspect most of my use will be on a pistol

Posts: 3266 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I currently shoot NRL22 matches but only a couple guys are running suppressed.
While I will use on a rifle I suspect most of my use will be on a pistol

What match? About 70% suppressed at the matches around here. TB suppressor is noticeably quieter then all others. We're all shooting subsonic ammo, Lapua, SK, Eley....

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post