SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Opinions on 22 suppressor for a newby
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on 22 suppressor for a newby Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
NRL22 matches held at gunsite in Paulden. One a month. Of course almost every shooter is running standard velocity match grade ammo. Like I said, only a couple running suppression.
This is such a new world for me every time I think I have made a decision someone points me in a new direction! I appreciate the help from all.
My research had me once I saw the responses here to a dead air mask, but now I hear about the lighter nyx and also am hearing good things about the el Camino. With all the hassle involved and wait times. I want to make the best first choice possible but it looks like it will have to be something of a leap of faith

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my continuing search have narrowed it down to the dead air mask nyx and el Camino.
Similar performance numbers price points ease of cleaning etc.
Since I plan to use mostly on a pistol, what is the opinion on balance and handling?
The mask is heaviest but shortest of the 3, the nyx lightest and middle length and the el camino
A couple ounces lighter than the mask but almost an inch longer?
Continued assistance is appreciated

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Mask, El Camino and NYX...I will tell you that you CANNOT make a mistake with any of the 3! Buy whichever one you get the best deal on, you’ll be extremely happy.

Posts: 196 | Registered: February 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks 380!
They are all pretty much the same price
So that is not an issue
From every review I have seen performance is very close as well.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I agree.
The brains behind Q is Kevin Brittingham . He started AAC at the ripe age of 19. He sold AAC to Remington- resurfaced as Q.
The brains behind Dead Air is Mike Pappas. He started SilencerCo. Resurfaced as Dead Air.Pretty impressive family tree for Q and Dead Air.
Energetic Arms was started by aerospace engineers.
Any of those 3 suppressors are state of the art. The new kids on the block are Energetic Arms. Their 30 caliber suppressors is the Vox- that deserves a review also. Energetic is rewriting suppressors- allowing the Vox to be compatible with all the big boys attachment devices.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
380Long:
If you have the nyx el Camino and mask, does the heavier weight of the mask throw the balance of a pistol off ? Or the extra length of the el Camino make the gun feel off balance? Having all 3 if forced to keep one only which would it be?

posted Hide Post
No the weight of the mask does not throw the feel off, I thought it may...I do like the lighter feel of the other two better. The mask seems best on FRP, the El Camino may be the easiest to clean and the NYX wins in weight. All sound very similar to my ears and no the little extra length on the El Camino is a non factor. When I take the mask off of my pistols sometimes it to wants to come apart and a piece wants to stick to the barrel threads. You can stick the entire NYX in an ultrasonic cleaner and not damage it.

Posts: 196 | Registered: February 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with the Dead Air Mask. Now comes the paperwork and wait.

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have been very happy with my mask shooting 22/45 and my AR .22 Smile

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strider41:
I went with the Dead Air Mask. Now comes the paperwork and wait.

I bought my wife the mask a year or two ago. Its fantastic!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input.
Talked to my local shop that has one of the kiosks for silencer shop. I need to pay for the can and they will order it. Once it arrives then they will guide me through the tax stamp application so I don’t have to fork over both the cost of the can and stamp at the same time. While waiting on the stamp they indicate I can stop in and use the can on the shops indoor range until stamp approved. About the best scenario I can get I think. Hoping to hear about a new job by the end of the week with a possible sign on bonus so a can would be a great way to celebrate

posted Hide Post
Mask was my first and only suppressor so far. I enjoy it

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post