SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Noob with a Can....or Suppressor Removal, You're Doing It Wrong
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Noob with a Can....or Suppressor Removal, You're Doing It Wrong Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
Well, with three tax stamps in hand, I took my new toys to the range to see if everything worked and zero the MROs if they did. It all went swimmingly. The whole line quit shooting when I started pinging the steel target I had at 100m with rapid-fire, subsonic 220 gr .300 Blackout. SBR+can=ubercool (at least at the local public range Big Grin).

Anyway, the only fly in the ointment was.....

Happened after a couple of magazines of 5.56mm. It was freaking HOT!!!! I would periodically attempt to remove it, but it seemed on there tight. I assumed it was due to the heat. When it came off, it took the muzzle device with it.

Gonna reclean all the threads and reRockset it.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I know it's a stupid question, but did you unlock the locking ring before attempting to unscrew it?

If anything like you said, just calls for a re-Rocksetting.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it was unlocked. LOL

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Did you clean both sets of threads before applying rocksett ?!

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Well, I thought I did. This time I made liberal use of WD40, Q-Tips, and isopropyl alcohol pads. I think I could eat off these threads.

Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
On the low scale, paint thinner is about as weak as I would go. Lacquer thinner will really strip the layer of paint, anodizing, whatever off better. Apply 4-5 good drops of Rocksett and Torque down to 30 ft/lbs and that summa of bitch ain't never gonna move again !

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've torqued mine off before. Sometimes too much Rocket can lead to issues. A little brake cleaner for thread cleaning, proper application of rockset, torque to spec, and allowing ample time for drying will solve your issues.

Posts: 10 | Registered: March 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Strap wrenches are your friend.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just keep buying the damn things till you have one for every rifle. You’ll never have to worry about taking one off at that point Wink

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Just keep buying the damn things till you have one for every rifle. You’ll never have to worry about taking one off at that point Wink

A friend told me that I would be wanting more after I got my first one. He was soooo right. LOL

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Ah, yeah.

You gotta rockset the Muzzle device.

Rimfire adaptors? No, but you occasionally have the same thing happen, where the adaptor comes off with the suppressor.

And centerfire rifle suppressors get HOT. Look into a cover, like Rifles only HAAD / MAAD, along with others.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clean the muzzle and mount threads with acetone.

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
And centerfire rifle suppressors get HOT. Look into a cover, like Rifles only HAAD / MAAD, along with others.

Had a cover. Didn't read the instructions. They said to allow for a minute between magazines when doing rapid fire. It got a little gooey. Big Grin I now have a high-temp one on the way.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I'm watching this thread closely Smile...good info for the near future (hopefully).

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post