SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    First time, where to start?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time, where to start? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
OP is in a remote town in Alaska.
Cordova- population 2,000
I doubt there is an ATM, or a Silencer Shop kiosk.
Remote- only access to suppressor info is here.
Not bashing you sigarp226

SIGfourme - Your point is very valid and my post was in error based on the OP’s location... I missed this very important point in the OP’s later post...I should have slowed down and read the entire thread better...Was so anxious to help I scanned over this detail that was clearly provided..Good call out on your part....Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
OP is in a remote town in Alaska.
Cordova- population 2,000
I doubt there is an ATM, or a Silencer Shop kiosk.
Remote- only access to suppressor info is here.
Not bashing you sigarp226

SIGfourme - Your point is very valid and my post was in error based on the OP’s location... I missed this very important point in the OP’s later post...I should have slowed down and read the entire thread better...Was so anxious to help I scanned over this detail that was clearly provided..Good call out on your part....Mark

Its ok, as most likely i will have to go to Anchorage to pick this up as the local FFL here might not be class 3, im waiting to hear back from him.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, so i don't have a class 3 FFL here, but i do have a drill press and some metal working knowledge, so how hard is it to form 1 a can?

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
Ok, so i don't have a class 3 FFL here, but i do have a drill press and some metal working knowledge, so how hard is it to form 1 a can?

There are many large and detailed Form 1 threads over at the 'Build it yourself' section under suppressors on AR15.com.

There are even kits that you can buy that are largely prefinished. Once you have your Form 1 in hand you can drill and/or form the baffles legally.

The cost/quality is all across the board. From rough as hell and all cheap out of aluminum (fine for rimfire), to titanium, etc.

I plan to do a Form 1 can for a 9mm fixed barrel.

I bought a factory AAC can for centerfire rifle. Inconel and stellite are nice baffle materials for those applications.

9mm and rimfire are attractive to form 1. centerfire rifle, less so, IMHO.

As others have said, you don't want a do it all can.

A can for 30 cal centerfire would be grossly heavy on a litle 22lr host.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:

Using ATF Eforms is the easiest way to apply for a Form 1.

You can have fingerprint cards shipped to you from the ATF for free. There is a form on their website to request them.

Then you just need an ink pad.

You can do your own passport photo as well.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post