SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    First time, where to start?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time, where to start? Login/Join 
posted
Hi all, recent job changes have netted me a few thousand in savings and i would like to buy my first suppressor and am looking for guidance.

I would like this to work on as many weapons as it can that i have, .22, 9mm, .40, .223/ 5.56, 6.5mm, and 7.62. I'm thinking a 30 cal can would be best, but i truly have no idea outside of reading threads in this section of the forum.

I plan on eventually purchasing another can at a later date.

I would like to keep the price as close to $600 as possible.

Where do i start?

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 30 cal can normally won’t do 9mm. You’d need a rifle rated 9mm can like the Dead Air Wolfman, but I don’t think it’s under $600, and it’s a sealed can, so not really recommended to shoot .22 LR though it. There are multi-cal cans like the Griffin Optimus, but that’s definitely more than $600. If you also want .40 or .45, I think your options are going to be even more limited. SilencerCo Hybrid .46, but again more than $600.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Agree with MTC29
1) 22 suppressor. Movie quiet. Look for stainless steel baffle so cleaning is easier. Typically a “closed” system so it can be taken apart. Tacsol Axiom, DeadAir mask, ...
2) pistol caliber suppressor
3) rifle caliber suppressor

Consider Liberty Mystic X - 30 cal rifle, 223 rifle, 9 mm pistol, 22 LR. Monocore system- will cover theses calibers.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!
So look's like i want 3 suppressors, one that'll handle 9mm out of a sub2000 and 9mm pistols, a 30 cal for my rifles (5.56/.223, and 6.5cm currently) and a .22 for my 22s.

I think it'll be best to go after the 9mm one first as thats probably going to be the most used one.

So, what should i look for in a 9mm can for use with a sub2000 and pistols?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
Thanks guys!
So look's like i want 3 suppressors, one that'll handle 9mm out of a sub2000 and 9mm pistols, a 30 cal for my rifles (5.56/.223, and 6.5cm currently) and a .22 for my 22s.

I think it'll be best to go after the 9mm one first as thats probably going to be the most used one.

So, what should i look for in a 9mm can for use with a sub2000 and pistols?

Rugged Obsidian 9 or 45 is good for both pistol and carbine use. Be aware that you will also have to take into account the mounts. Assume the sub2000 and the pistols have threaded barrels? You’ll need the booster piston and spring for the pistols, but the sub2000 has a fixed barrel, so you’ll need to also get a fixed barrel spacer to replace the spring, or a different fixed adapter for the can (direct thread or three lug).

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Agree with MTC29
1) 22 suppressor. Movie quiet. Look for stainless steel baffle so cleaning is easier. Typically a “closed” system so it can be taken apart. Tacsol Axiom, DeadAir mask, ...
2) pistol caliber suppressor
3) rifle caliber suppressor

Consider Liberty Mystic X - 30 cal rifle, 223 rifle, 9 mm pistol, 22 LR. Monocore system- will cover theses calibers.

Actually after looking at the mystic x i think that would do nicely for my first can, I'll look into it more and come back and ask 100 newbie questions...
Also i am planning on doing a trust for this

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Rugged Obsidian 9 or 45 is good for both pistol and carbine use. Be aware that you will also have to take into account the mounts. Assume the sub2000 and the pistols have threaded barrels? You’ll need the booster piston and spring for the pistols, but the sub2000 has a fixed barrel, so you’ll need to also get a fixed barrel spacer to replace the spring, or a different fixed adapter for the can (direct thread or three lug).

Whats a booster piston? I'm assuming it has something to do with the suppressor absorbing some of the energy that would otherwise push the upper reciver/ bolt back to chamber the next round but im guessing.

As of now the sub2k and ARs are the only ones with threaded barrels, i am looking at a threaded barstow 9mm conversion barrel for my 229 and would like to get a threaded barrel for my 9mm RIA 1911 and over time possibly my m&p 2.0 and eventually thread my tikka 6.5, damn this place costs me money as all listed guns have come from either members here or wright ups from here/ threads telling everyone about good deals ..
Thanks for your help!

posted Hide Post
The booster spring decouples the weight of the suppressor from the gun as it recoils. As the slide/barrel combination move back, the gas trapped in the suppressor causes the can to move forward against the spring, which effectively removes most of its weight. The recoil system of tilting barrel pistols is only set up for the weight of the slide and barrel, so adding the weight of the suppressor would prevent the gun from fully cycling. For a fixed barrel firearm, you don’t want the spring because the suppressor will keep moving forward and snapping back every time you fire a round, and in extreme cases, the suppressor might beat itself to death.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
The “one can do it all” solution is not ideal imo. It’s tempting and cheaper, but you soon realize no one can does everything really well. I went down this road before I was a Class III dealer as well. I actually had a Mystic X for my first can. I soon realized it did a couple of things well but not as well as dedicated rifle and handgun cans. It does suck giving the ATF their rape tax, but this isn’t a cheap hobby. I sold my Mystic X and subsequently bought separate cans.. first a 7.62 Saker, Rugged Obsidian and Dead Air Mask. Now that I’m Class III, the collection has grown. Where are you located out of curiosity?

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Here’s my best of the best recommendations. Based on weight/length of suppressor and decibel reduction. Sound reduction counts- length doesn’t. Weight is determined by materials.
1) 30 caliber - Energetic Arms Vox
2) 9 mm caliber CGS Mod 1 - aka Kracken
3) 22 cal- Energetic Arms Nyx or their modular

The engineers redesigned sound reduction around materials and restricting air flow. Now, the serial number is closer to the barrel minimizing damage to the registered part.

Yankee Hill makes great suppressors at an incredible low price point. Downside- cans are heavy.

Suppressor companies make proprietary attachment systems. The Vox can use all of the big boy attachment systems including Yankee Hill’s QD mount.

22 caliber suppressors run the gamut in price, materials and serviceability. I loved my Yankee Hill mite until I had a baffle strike. Cleaning my Yankee Hill mite- near impossible. Leading the baffles will occur after 500-1000 rounds. Materials that withstand tumbling or sonic water bath are necessary. No “dip” drift please. Lighter is better for a 22 can. I know there are a ton of good 22 cans out there. The NYX is all titanium , weighing 3.6 ounces at 5.5 inches .
That’s my 2 cents. Review these suppressors- they are not the big boys YET.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
If you do a trust- use Sig Forum HeavyD. $99 gun trust. Quick, easy and painless.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I just went through a similar Process recently. (see threads). Although I do not have a need for a pistol suppressor. Wanted a .30cal and I will be using on various rifles and calibers.

The YHM Resonator won out for quality and price. Weight was also a factor.

The Resonator was well under $500. Virtually every other can was anywhere from $200 to $500 more and Resonator is a player based on many in the know. So it was the one for me in a rifle .30 caliber.

MTC29 is a great resource Wink Along with many others here so you are in the right place.

drobinson posted this in one of my threads. I liked the info contained in it. Great article.

https://www.silencercentral.co...out-Guns-Article.pdf

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
If you do a trust- use Sig Forum HeavyD. $99 gun trust. Quick, easy and painless.

I'll second that.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3130035063

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of George from Alaska
posted Hide Post
No such thing as what you want. You are on the Sig forum so you must have some money... You need a dedicated .22 supressor, Rugged Oculus, Silerenco Switchbak, Ruger S8SR or any of the other new excellent ones. You will need a .45 caliber module pistol can so you can shoot .40 and 9 with it with the proper pistons/adPters... AAC Tirant .45, Rugged Obsidian, big sale in the dis continued Sikencerco Octane 45HK going in now. Lastly, a dot it all winder centerfire can. I would wait until Dead Air releases their Nomad Long early next yesr... it might be the one. Otherwise a Hunrid does well, I don't have one of those but people like them, I think they are made by Silencerco. I've been collecting, shooting and selling suppressors for about 30 years and have FFL/SOT manufacturers licenses.

P220 European
P220 Scorpion
P220 10mm Legion
MK25
P226 Legion
P226 SAO Legion
P229 Legion
556 rifle, my favorite 556
P320 M17 (not the expensive
one) with Leupold DPP
P227 Tac-ops
machineguns
suppressors
07/02

Posts: 76 | Registered: August 04, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a trust yesterday from HarvyD, should have it Tuesday.

I am in a remote town in Alaska (Cordova)

I will respond more in the morning, thanks all!

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
If you can do it I would go ahead and get all your cans at the same time. If you space them out it will be literally years before you get your needs covered.

Omega 9K or Dead Air Wolfman for 9mm/sub 300blk
Dead Air Mask .22
YHM Turbo K 5.56
Sandman S or Omega for .30

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
A suppressor is a lifetime purchase, so it's no place to cheap out.

But you are on the right track - Rimfire, Pistol, and rifle are the 3 basics.

After that I like a short rifle suppressor for SBRs.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I started with a 22 can, it’s dedicated to a ruger 22/45 host, but I can swap it to a 10-22 and a bolt savage 22 rifle. It’s aluminum. Get a stainless one!! It’s easier to clean

My first rifle can was a 30 cal can that is a direct thread.

Eventually I got tired of swapping it from bolt gun to ars that I have. So I got a Sig 762QD and mounted three QD brakes/flashhider on several ARs and left the direct thread on the bolt gun.

Wish I’d have started with a trust, but I’m not gonna move them now..I’d have to pay 200$ for each item put into the trust if I understand the trusts ...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that the company called - The Silencer Shop has specials on specific suppressors and on some purchases they will pay the $200 Stamp fee....They also have Kiosk’s all over the US where you can go up to their machine (looks like an ATM) and at that machine you can enter your information, your trust, and most importantly the machine will take your photo and FINGERPRINTS so you do not have to go to your local law enforcement agency to be fingerprinted.....

The only way all of this works is if you buy your suppressor(s) from them and you will also have to use their distributor (if you find a Kiosk machine that means that dealer is a distributor for Silencer Shop) and the price you pay at their site is the total price you pay...The distributor does not mark up the purchase price of the suppressor...Silencer Shop pays the distributor direct and your suppressor will be shipped to that distributor and it will remain there until your paperwork clears....Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
OP is in a remote town in Alaska.
Cordova- population 2,000
I doubt there is an ATM, or a Silencer Shop kiosk.
Remote- only access to suppressor info is here.
Not bashing you sigarp226