SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Hot supressor help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hot supressor help Login/Join 
posted
I just got my Specwar, haven't been able to take it out yet. What do you recomend using to remove a hot supressor? I know you should wait till it cools, but what should I use in case I don't have the time? What has worked for you?

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There are a couple solutions to this.

First, you can get a sup-cov or similar device. Some are made of nomex, some are made of silicon.

See here for one example: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0105858/m/8370044563

These devices actually slip over the suppressor and can make it easier to go hands-on on a hot suppressor, though their primary function (for the most part) is to prevent heat mirage from messing up your sight picture.

Secondarily, you can just bring along a spare old cotton tee-shirt, which is what I do. Tee shirts are cheap, but if you want fancy, bring along a oven mit. These work really well during matches because you can just slip them over the suppressor and bag the rifle--JUST MAKE SURE YOU TURN THE GLOVE INSIDE OUT SO THE PART THAT'S DESIGNED TO TAKE THE HEAT TAKES THE HEAT. If you don't, the inside of your case can smell like fish-and-chips. Ask me how I know Roll Eyes

Additionally, you can carry a little spray bottle, and spritz the suppressor to cool it down/check temperature.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The oven mitt is a good idea, and the supressor wrap seems good too. Somewhere I saw a silicon high temp sheet, square shape, that is used for high temp applications as well. Thanks for your experiencial input.

Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Log gloves, always pack a pair.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Gloves like the ove glove. Take off then toss in a baking pan.
When I take the kids out and we're leaving, I take all the suppressors off, toss them in a baking pan then toss that in a bigger pan with the ove gloves in between. They'll cool off before we get home.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Welders gloves. I bought a pair at the local supply place for like $17 when I got my first can. Haven't used em since. Just let the cans cool first & same headache and burns. If it's too hot for you to touch to take it off, it's too hot to put it in whatever you're going to put it in when you leave.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
A couple of shop rags or an old towel. I've seen someone use a Mechanix glove.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavyd:

Not to hijack my own thread, but I got this Specwar using your trusts, thanks.

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Be careful using the suppressor mirage covers to remove a hot can. I have a few of the Armageddon gear covers and they are great as a mirage shield but most can only get so hot before they melt. Especially if you grab it tightly while the can is hot to try and uninstall the can. The mirage shield can melt and leave material stuck to the can, this happened on my Specwar.

Now I just typically use an old cotton rag. The can cools down faster sitting on the bench then it does still attached to the rifle.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
My Octane 45HD came with a SilencerCo oven mitt.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
Be careful using the suppressor mirage covers to remove a hot can. I have a few of the Armageddon gear covers and they are great as a mirage shield but most can only get so hot before they melt. Especially if you grab it tightly while the can is hot to try and uninstall the can. The mirage shield can melt and leave material stuck to the can, this happened on my Specwar.

Now I just typically use an old cotton rag. The can cools down faster sitting on the bench then it does still attached to the rifle.

AG just released new can covers designed for those of you that like to send too many rounds at once. Check them out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: exx1976,

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t use my suppressor like many people do and therefore it doesn’t normally get nearly as hot, but what works for me is a silicone kitchen pad; it’s cheap, takes up little space, and is effective for my purposes.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:

AG just released new can covers designed for those of you that like to send too many rounds at once. Check them out.

Who is AG, can you provide a link?

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Super Shooter:

Probably referring to Armageddon Gear.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by heavyd:

Not to hijack my own thread, but I got this Specwar using your trusts, thanks.

Kewl. I appreciate your business.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

Probably referring to Armageddon Gear.

Thanks for clearing that up.