SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Looking for advice from the Silencer Geeks (Experts)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for advice from the Silencer Geeks (Experts) Login/Join 
Picture of PowerBook
posted
I bought an LWRCI M6A5 a few months ago and it needs a suppressor. I want one that will work on my Sig 40S&W as well.

My thought are for a SilencerCo Hybrid 46. A Dead Air Ghost-M. Or for rifle only a HX-QD Magnum Ti.

Or something else?

Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks!

Posts: 1776 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Buy 2... keep them separated for pistol and rifle. And oss is junk, not very good a suppressing anything with questionable metering practices.

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What you are wanting is really 2 different cans.

Suppressing rifles at rifle pressures requires a can of one design type and weight. Supressing pistol calibers and or bullets at pistol caliber speeds requires another.

My suggestions is a keymo mount rifle can. Ie dead air nomad, sandman, vox' keymo mountable line

Then a 45 caliber can for your 40sw. Something that can handle a wipe. That will lower the sound down just a tad.

Finally a 22lr can, yep we went from 1 to two, to now 3 cans. 22lr cans are the most fun to shoot, but dirty up the cans pretty quick.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with buying two. There is always a compromise trying to get one suppressor to do everything. Usually to get a good one, the compromise is price. A good, entry-level rifle suppressor might be $400-$500. A good, entry-level pistol suppressor might be about the same. Depending on caliber, mounting method, materials, etc. you may spend as little as $350 or as much as $800 (or more) but you'll have suppressors that do the thing they were designed for generally better (lighter, cheaper, shorter, quieter depending on caliber) than a "do-all." The extra tax stamp hurts a bit, admittedly.

In a do-all can, though, I would look at the Liberty Mystic X.

I would also think really hard about sticking money into suppressing .40. It is a round that is almost always going to be supersonic and therefore not suppress very well compared to .45 or heavy 9mm.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Is the LWRC M6A5 the Six8 series?
Is this a piston rifle? (Pistons are sometimes finicky to suppress)
6.5 caliber-- you need a 30 caliber rifle suppressor as others have said.
I would recommend the Energetic Armament Vox for 30 caliber. Not the Vox K. Vox Lux is the newest.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I consider myself more of a silencer geek than expert but agree with the suggestions for two separate cans. Another thing to consider is method of attachment. For AR platforms, I believe the muzzle brake/flash hider mounts give you more options than direct thread common to pistol cans. I’ve got a Rugged Razor 7.62 and AAC Ti-Rant 45M on the way. With additional flash hiders at ~$80, I can move the rifle can between several calibers AR’s. Additional pistons for the 45M allow me to mount on 9 mm up to 45 ACP. I agree that 40 S&W can be tough to suppress unless your loading your own subsonic ammo.

Currently I’m at just over 10 months waiting and would love to se this bill make it through the legislative session. H.R. 6126. Essentially, it requires the NFA to process suppressor paperwork within 90 days. I still don’t think suppressors should be regulated but 90 days would be a very welcomed improvement.

Michael

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mdblanton,

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I agree with buying two. There is always a compromise trying to get one suppressor to do everything. Usually to get a good one, the compromise is price. A good, entry-level rifle suppressor might be $400-$500. A good, entry-level pistol suppressor might be about the same. Depending on caliber, mounting method, materials, etc. you may spend as little as $350 or as much as $800 (or more) but you'll have suppressors that do the thing they were designed for generally better (lighter, cheaper, shorter, quieter depending on caliber) than a "do-all." The extra tax stamp hurts a bit, admittedly.

In a do-all can, though, I would look at the Liberty Mystic X.

I would also think really hard about sticking money into suppressing .40. It is a round that is almost always going to be supersonic and therefore not suppress very well compared to .45 or heavy 9mm.

Supersonic? 180 grains barely reaches 1k. 165 might hit 1100. If you get fmj's drop a hundred fps off each of those. My 40's suppress very well>

http://www.ballistics101.com/40_caliber_sw.php

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
This is the one that does pistol and rifle and is full auto rated. There are barrel restrictions on some rifle calibers but this silencer seems to do it all. If I didn't already own an Omega I would be all over this!!
https://silencerco.com/omega-36m

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerBook
posted Hide Post
SilencerCo had a webinar the other day about the 36M. It was really well done and I think that is what I will order.

Thanks!

Posts: 1776 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy two or you'll end up with one that doesn't do either very well.

I have the Ghost 45M and an Octane 45. Get the Rugged Obsidian instead. My buddy got one the same day I got the Ghost and I'm more impressed with it.

For a rifle suppressor, get the Energetic Armament Vox S. It's closer in size to a .223 suppressor, but is a .30, and works well beyond what its size would make you think. It also can use other brands' mounts.

Posts: 67 | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
I think multi caliber supressors are the future for the industry as technology and other factors have allowed having 1 supressor for "most" users. While having dedicated pistol supressors and a do all rifle does make better sense only because of the convenience factor of not constantly messing with changing out the piston which is why I have multiples for each caliber except rifle hence the Omega 30 which I use on 5.56 and .30 cal.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dmac82
posted Hide Post
Ill echo the sentiment of buying two. If I could buy my rifle can again, I would not get the larger one for mulit-use, instead two dedicated. In my case 308 and 556.

Posts: 634 | Location: lost in the mountains | Registered: November 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cans that claim to do everything, dont do anything really well. The Hybrid is one of those cans that are just OK. Its not awesome at anything.

Posts: 89 | Location: Hastings, MI | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuglespritz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coctailer:
Cans that claim to do everything, dont do anything really well. The Hybrid is one of those cans that are just OK. Its not awesome at anything.

My experience with the Hybrid 46 is much different than yours. My Hybrid is my preferred suppressor when shooting 9mm Para, especially with the 3 Lug mount. I also like the weight of it. And since I already had an Octane 9 and a lot of mounting accessories, I didn't have to buy many more since they work on both suppressors.

Posts: 754 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post