SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Military users: What cleaning schedules and methods do they use?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Military users: What cleaning schedules and methods do they use? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
I know there's a tremendous variation in how much a suppressor might be used in a day.

Are there standard guidelines taught?

What is practically done in the field?

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
I do know one thing coming from an USAF armorer I know personally, they use heavy duty heated ultrasonics on their rifles and pistols if necessary including supressors. not sure of the schedules. they don't really care if they are damaged as it's simply replaced or painted over if the finish is damaged.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Center fire rifle silencers in many cases are not supposed to be cleaned, as per the manufacturer.

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only document I can come up with is the SR25/M110 manual. Page 45-46 describes maintenance for the supplied suppressor.
The only issued suppressors my infantry unit had where with the M110 rifles. We had some Gemtechs that I think where purchased with unit funds for use with M4/M16s. I don't know what model they were or their maintenance schedule. I never sat there and watched anyone maintain their suppressors.

Link to m110 manual on Biggerhammer.

If I were you, I'd keep and eye on the new USMC suppressor experiments.

Posts: 4538 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Most rifle cans are not serviceable anyways, of the ones that are, are they even being used by the military?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David W,

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
Most rifle cans are not serviceable anyways, of the ones that are, are they even being used by the military?

My thoughts also. Outside of some Special Forces operations, why bother.

Posts: 1037 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USMC is experimenting with putting suppressors on all the weapons in an Infantry Unit, to include the crew served. I am waiting to see if they open source publish the results and lessons learned.

Posts: 4538 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when I was infantry, before I commissioned we used surefire suppressors and didn't do any cleaning beyond wiping them down. We would shoot them until they were no longer functional.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post