SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Q Thunder Chicken - Thoughts? -- Went with the Panda
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Q Thunder Chicken - Thoughts? -- Went with the Panda Login/Join 
Picture of Rustpot
posted
This would be my first suppressor. I've been close to pulling the trigger on a can a few times, I think now that my favorite little gun shop has a SilencerShop kiosk that might actually happen.

I'm looking at the Thunder Chicken. Lightweight, comes with 2 mounts, and shares names with the mascot of my high school robotics team. Immediate hosts would be a SCAR 17 and multiple ARs in 5.56, barrels from 10.5-20". A 300blk pistol with 7-10" barrel will follow along sometime before the paperwork comes back.

This would be for the majority of shooting those rifles. Maybe a 3-gun competition, general target shooting, home defense, hunting. No plans for full auto, or 1,000+ rounds range days. A weekend class wouldn't be completely out of the picture, but not any time soon.

Anyone have thoughts on this suppressor, and the decision for it as a first? Aside from SiCo and Sig suppressor deals at the moment, I find myself at a loss as to a suppressor I'd rather have. I don't like Sig's mounts as a device to leave on the rifle all the time. DeadAir Sandman is a solid choice, I think I'd have a hard time between the Trash Panda and Sandman (S?) for round 2 after the first can paperwork finishes.

I'm debating whether to start the paperwork on a second suppressor. I have a Ruger 22/45 with a threaded barrel and S&W 15-22 for rimfire hosts, and an HK45t & 9mm AR for pistol hosts. Getting a SilencerCo would give me either a free rimfire or pistol can, depending on cost of the 30cal I go with. Immediate cash on hand being one concern, how much use it will see being a second. Neither of my rimfire is a great host for subsonics, but most people say their rimfire cans are the ones that get shot most.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rustpot,

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I think Q’s cans would be pretty sweet coming from the designer and owner they have. There are so many good choices for suppressor manufacturers these days, specs are pretty similar too. Biggest thing I’d advise is to be sure you like the mounting system since you’ll likely be using it across multiple weapons. A questionable *bad* example would be Silencerco’s ASR mount. Great cans, but lots of people have trouble with the mount itself. I seriously doubt thats an issue with Q though. You might consider the Rugged Micro 30 just for thoroughness. It’s a great can as well.

For your second question, I’d say definitely. If you’ve got the cash, then do it. The first suppressor is just a gateway drug. You’ll definitely want more and 22 cans are the most fun!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rust - cannot comment on the suppressor but can tell you that the Silencer Shop Kiosk is why I continue to purchase suppressors....The kiosk allows you to create a set of finger prints instantly and the machine immediately tells you if they are “good quality”.....Once on file you never have to worry about this issue again...

And Silencer Shop also has a phone app that allows you to take a selfie with your phone and send to them...Once you complete this 2 minute process you never have to provide another “passport photo”....

They allow you to purchase your federal stamp through them while buying your suppressor also....

The final thing that has kept me in this game is Heavy D’s Trust amendment that allows you to file your trust paperwork and the other folks listed do NOT have to provide a photo or finger prints....

Jump in the quiet game my friend....It is a blast and IMO the rimfire cans (I have four now) for backyard shooting is the most fun you can have with your spouse, kids, and grandkids on a weekend day.....Good Luck Sir...Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
The trust is still interesting. I got one setup, never carried through with it since the change in requirements that happened not too long ago.

I was under the impression all of the beneficiaries needed docs with the purchase. As it stands I had it written up with family in multiple states as the others, and one lifelong family friend that is local. Getting it all wrapped up seemed to be too much of a headache and I was going to do the first few transfers as an individual.

Is that a bad plan?

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
If you got your trust from HeavyD, then there is an amendment page to temporarily remove your beneficiaries...making you the sole trustee and thus the only one having to submit prints and photos. Once it’s approved by ATF, you tear up the amendment and your back with your original beneficiaries. Sounds kinda weird, but it’s legal and works.

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dry - Thanks Sir. You said it better than I related to explaining the amendment....I have used the amendment on my last two filings with no issues....

Thanks Again Heavy D for creating a great Trust and Amendment and providing the support you and your wonderful wife do when I have questions...Mark

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarmsp226,

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Q Thunder Chicken

Looks like a pretty solid can. "Sporting a length of 8.13” and a weight of 14.7 ounces," It's a 1/10th of a inch longer & 2 oz lighter than my titanium form 1 can.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on how your trust is written and defines beneficiaries.

Please do not confuse "responsible person(s)" with beneficiaries. Only "responsible person(s) have to submit fingerprints and passport photo(s).

Beneficiaries do not have control or access to the trust, only the grantor and trustee(s). Grantor and trustee(s) are considered "responsible person(s)".

Beneficiaries only come into "play" if and when the grantor dies (or whatever the event is defined in the trust). Then, only those beneficiaries that can legally inherit and possess a NFA item can submit paperwork to transfer the NFA item to their trust or to themselves (as individual) and pay the NFA tax stamp (as applicable at the time) and wait for the approval for transfer. Until the transfer is approved, the NFA item(s) are still in the possession of the trust and managed by the assigned trustee(s).

Posts: 36 | Registered: September 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I used the term “beneficiary” loosely to mean “responsible persons”. The above applies to HeavyD Trusts.

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I did it as an individual today. Used the SS kiosk at my local dealer. With a handgun purchase/paperwork and waiting around a little I was done and out in less than an hour.

Actually went with the Trash Panda. Cheaper, smaller, lighter, apparently more than adequate. The Full Nelson/Thunder Chicken is their "long" can, even though it's still shorter than most regular sized, for the bigger calibers.

I got an email from Q after I wrote them asking; the SCAR needs an adapter due to its small shoulder on the barrel, but they're making a SCAR-specific Cherry Bomb that won't need one.

Oh, and an Erector. I fell in love with that when I first saw it. F*** it, why not. I've spent more on worse decisions.

posted Hide Post
The erector is gold, my buddy has one and it works well and is just plain cool. Enjoy your wait!

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post