SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    P320/250 threaded barrels in .40 s&w?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320/250 threaded barrels in .40 s&w? Login/Join 
posted
I'm putting together a p320 x-carry in 40 and I was looking for threaded barrels for it. Unfortunately couldnt find any, I only found 9mm threaded barrels for it. Anyone know of ANY barrels that can work with it? Thanks.

Posts: 3 | Registered: November 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Conventional wisdom about threaded barrels in SIG handguns for the 40 S&W cartridge at one time was that the barrel walls are too thin for proper threading. For example, P226 barrels for both 9mm and 40 measure about 0.531" in diameter. Assuming my arithmetic is correct, that means the 9mm wall is about 0.088 inch thick but the 40 wall is ~0.068".

As we know from YouTube videos, though, the 40 P226 has been successfully suppressed, so barrel wall thickness can’t be an absolute bar to the idea.

Nevertheless, P320 barrels are significantly thicker. The 9mm barrel diameter is ~0.553" and the 40 S&W barrel is about 0.570" in diameter. Those measurements mean the 9mm barrel is ~0.099" thick and the 40 is ~0.088", or the same thickness as the 9mm P226 barrel. If barrel wall thickness is the only criterion to consider, then it would seem that the 40 P320 barrel would be even better suited for threading.

The unfortunate fact is, however, that the 40 S&W cartridge’s popularity is rapidly fading. I predict that that’s just a temporary phenomenon, but I could be wrong as gun ownership is slowly strangled in the country. In any event, if the cartridge and guns chambered for it are losing their appeal to the gun-buying public, plus the fact that suppressing such guns has never been common, there would be less incentive for barrel manufacturers to offer threaded versions.

As a final thought, though, have you considered the possibility that a full size P320 barrel might function in a Carry slide, and that you could have the longer factory barrel threaded?

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CallSignChurch:
I'm putting together a p320 x-carry in 40 and I was looking for threaded barrels for it. Unfortunately couldnt find any, I only found 9mm threaded barrels for it. Anyone know of ANY barrels that can work with it? Thanks.

https://barsto.com/product/9mm...2x28-for-9mm-pistol/

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Unless I’m totally misreading something, that Bar-Sto link is for a 9mm barrel. The topic starter is looking for a 40 S&W barrel.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Unless I’m totally misreading something, that Bar-Sto link is for a 9mm barrel. The topic starter is looking for a 40 S&W barrel.

Did you click the link? It looks to me like .40S&W is an option, as is .357Sig. That listing is for a full size barrel and not the Carry the OP asked about. I'm thinking if they can do the full size then it might be worth a phone call to see if they can do a Carry version.

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, I clicked the link and read everything several times.
If you are referring to the section that refers to available threads for their barrels, I don’t believe that’s an indication the P320 barrels are available in 40 S&W. Your advice to check by calling them is good, though, and if the OP does that, hopefully he’ll post what he finds out.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Yes, I clicked the link and read everything several times.
If you are referring to the section that refers to available threads for their barrels, I don’t believe that’s an indication the P320 barrels are available in 40 S&W. Your advice to check by calling them is good, though, and if the OP does that, hopefully he’ll post what he finds out.

What else could it possibly mean? Regardless, a phone call should resolve the question. Hopefully the op will keep us apprised.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Well, I decided to call myself to satisfy my curiosity.
The woman I spoke with was actually somewhat unsure at first, but did confirm that the Bar-Sto P320 full size barrel was available in 40 S&W and as an extended and threaded version.

I don't know anything about the P320 X-Carry, but I assume that a full size barrel would fit. Being full size and extended, though, it would protrude out the front of the slide a good distance.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
OP here, just want to take a minute to thank everyone for replying. So the first commenter here pointed out that there are companys that actually thread existing barrels. So ran into this company, and decided that buying and threading an existing full size barrel will actually negate the problem of buying a full size threaded barrel and having excess length outside of the compact frame. The cool thing about that company I linked is that since the thread uses the barrel itself, you can keep part of the barrel as a thread protector, making it appear as if there are no threads at all. Hope this helps. Thanks again everybodym

posted Hide Post
Url didnt link for some weird reason. Anyways here it is http://www.tbasuppressors.com/...-Threading_p_54.html