SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Registration process now for SBR with Dean Trust
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Registration process now for SBR with Dean Trust Login/Join 
posted
Well guys - The last time I completed the paperwork for an SBR was when it could be done electronically by the originator using Dean’s trust. I have used the Dean exclusion attachment on my last suppressor with no issues so I understand how to use this document. My question to this group is related to what is the process now for this type of filing if I already have the AR lower in hand that I want to use....

When I registered my last SBR - I had the lower in hand (no upper was purchased until the lower paperwork was received) and then I assembled my SBR....The reason I ask this question now is because if not in 2020 then in 2024 I am thinking registered SBR’s “might”(key word in this assumption statement) be viewed differently if/when an assault weapon buy back or ban occurs so I am thinking this could be a good investment now....and some here may say this could be the worst $200 investment I could make at this time....

Last question if anyone knows - average time now for SBR documentation to clear BATF?. I ask because the last time I filed electronically it took about 45-60 days .....Thanks Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last SBR Form 1 that was submitted a month ago came back approved after 17 days, and the one before that was about 30 days. Both individual.

I wouldn’t expect that having an SBR will “save” anyone in the event of a future semi-auto ban. None of the proposed bills I’ve seen on a federal or state level have any exception for a NFA items or talk about barrel length. It’s still semi-auto rifle as far as they are concerned. Even during the 1994 AWB, I believe that any new SBRs made after the effective date had to be in “ban” configuration.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
My last SBR Form 1 that was submitted a month ago came back approved after 17 days, and the one before that was about 30 days. Both individual.

I wouldn’t expect that having an SBR will “save” anyone in the event of a future semi-auto ban. None of the proposed bills I’ve seen on a federal or state level have any exception for a NFA items or talk about barrel length. It’s still semi-auto rifle as far as they are concerned. Even during the 1994 AWB, I believe that any new SBRs made after the effective date had to be in “ban” configuration.

Dwill - Thanks for posting this information and feedback...One more question please - previously I filed my SBR paperwork electronically through a NFA website but I learned that site went down last year...You said you had your last filing approved in 17 days. Is the NFA website for electronic filing back up and if so could you provide me the link...Thanks again for your help...Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

Dwill - Thanks for posting this information and feedback...One more question please - previously I filed my SBR paperwork electronically through a NFA website but I learned that site went down last year...You said you had your last filing approved in 17 days. Is the NFA website for electronic filing back up and if so could you provide me the link...Thanks again for your help...Mark

The eFile site is at eforms.atf.gov

Note that it’s down every Wednesday for maintenance. HTH.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dwill- Thanks again for the information and guidance. Within 30 days of my last SBR Form 1 approval ATF shut down this site and I did not realize it was back up and running...Keep in mind that was just over two years ago....Thanks Again Sir....Mark

posted Hide Post
I did the eform 1 recently on an SBR.
I uploaded a copy of the trust and the 5320.whatever.

When completed, it gave me something to print out and include with the fingerprint cards to mail in.

I got the fingerprint cards from ATF's website (comes in less than a week) and fingerprinted myself and sent them in.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post