SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Looking at the best multi caliber-multi platform suppresors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking at the best multi caliber-multi platform suppresors Login/Join 
Picture of OMCHamlin
posted
I have one Gemtec .22 can, love it, and now want more...
I have several platforms I'd like to hush-up a little;
1. MPA 30 (MAC 9, yo!)
2. Various ARs in 5.56, including a 11" bbl pistol
3. AR in 6.8 SPC
4. Glock 17
5. HK USP 45c
6. Ruger Scout .308
7. Rem SPS AAC .308

What multi platform/caliber can systems are out there worth looking at?

Posts: 630 | Registered: September 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
You really need two cans to properly cover that list....Dead Air 'Sandman-S' and Rugged 'Obsidian 45' Cool

Add in a couple of caliber specific End Caps and you'd be all set! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!

Posts: 3159 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Dead Air released a new rifle can this morning. I’d look at it..

http://deadairsilencers.com/pr...59&mc_eid=45b7867f0e

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 5148 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Dead Air released a new rifle can this morning. I’d look at it..

http://deadairsilencers.com/pr...59&mc_eid=45b7867f0e

I saw that just after i ordered my sandman TI, and just before i got your email.

I still think for my application the TI will suit my needs. I may look at it as my next 30 ca can purchase.

Posts: 4650 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given what you what you want to suppress, I think giving the SilencerCo Hybrid. It’ll suppress all of your calibers. It won’t suppress as well as caliber-specific suppressors but the Hybrid is still pretty good. I have used it on my MPX and it works well. I was surprised how well it worked on 5.56. I haven’t used it on .308 or .45 but I’ve heard good things about it on those calibers.

If you’re willing to forego .45 then the Griffin Armament Optimus is an excellent choice. I like mine A LOT. It’s a very versatile suppressor and built like a tank.

There are certainly tradeoffs to the versatility of a multicaliber suppressor though: 1. the extra cost of buying different mounts and supporting pieces; 2. multicaliber suppressors generally don’t suppress as well as caliber-specific suppressors; and 3. the weight of multicaliber suppressor on pistols can be a bit much.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Just my 2 cents from going down this road before....

Choices are better now than when I entered the silencer market, but trying to use a multi caliber can for everything ends up in a compromise. I tried to do this with a Mystic X and was disappointed. Eventually I sold it and started over with cans that were dedicated (somewhat). It’s very tempting to try one of these do it all cans, and like I mentioned, there are better options now... but none will work as well as a dedicated handgun can and a dedicated rifle can. How many times can I say dedicated?? Lol. Anyway, take it fwiw. Good luck!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 5148 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Griffin Omni

Posts: 4968 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I have several cans and one of my last purchases before 41F took place was the Silencerco Hybrid. It's one of the most flexible do-call cans out there. There are two main disadvantages of a do all multi-caliber can:

First round pop. Shooting 5.56mm or 9mm through a can with a .45 bore like the Hybrid, even with a 5.56mm or 9mm end cap, will have a much louder FRP than a caliber specific can.

Accessories cost. I can use the Hybrid on pistols, direct thread on bolt guns, and quick attach on semi-auto rifles with muzzle devices. But the cost of all those attachment adaptors really add up so you aren't saving that much.

As others already suggested, get a good .30 cal rifle rated can like the Silencerco Omega, and get a second good pistol can like the Rugged Obsidian. Sales of cans have slowed down dramatically in the past year, I would also make sure to buy from a well established company that isn't going to be out of business a year from now. At my local shop the Silencerco stuff still seems to be moving pretty well and they have been around for years, the stuff from newer companies "Q" and DeadAir doesn't look to have sold well at all.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

-Vince Lombardi

Posts: 2363 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
History lesson: Silencerco let Mike Pappas go in 2013. Pappas designed the Osprey--Sparrow-Saker.
Pappas then started Deadair.
Silencerco also Let Henry Graham go around the same time. Graham designed the Octane--Specwar--Warlock.
Graham then started Rugged.
Kevin Brittingham started AAC--sold it to Remington== then jumped started Sigs suppressor line. Politics at Sig...
Brittingham then starts Q

Silencerco laid off 50% of staff in 2017.

Multi caliber is not ideal. Dedicated rifle, pistol and rimfire is really the way to go.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGfourme,

Posts: 1206 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I went with Q's Trash Panda for my first can that would cover my .300, 5.56, and .308 rifles. My second is their Erector rimfire can.

I plan to add a 9mm, .45, dedicated 5.56, a big bore, and probably another rimfire can. Not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 5595 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OMCHamlin
posted Hide Post
So what I really wanted you all to do was validate either one of my choices, and you have done neither!
Then maybe I need to rethink my original one can solution...
Thanks!

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
So what I really wanted you all to do was validate either one of my choices, and you have done neither!
Then maybe I need to rethink my original one can solution...
Thanks!

Sorry about that. But yeah, I would agree with most here and say that a dedicated pistol caliber can in .45 and a .30 cal rifle can are way more versatile and will provide better utility in all situations.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Posts: 4296 | Location: Willow Park, TX | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My cans are in jail still.

I went with dead air.

I took advqntage of the ghost m for 399 deal. I plan to use it as my 40 and 45 cal pistol cans.

I also bought a odessa 9 for 9mm guns.
Dead air mask for 22lr
Sand man ti for bolt center fire guns
Nomad 30 for semi auto center fire guns.

If you want to bring down into a 2 suppressor package.

Nomad 30 with keymount
Ghost m. 22lr through45 acp and 300aac sub sonic. Though i would stick to 32-45acp

Posts: 4650 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When looking at cans, you need to factor mounts into the equation too, especially for centerfire rifles.

Standard handguns are easy. Almost all are direct thread, so you just buy the appropriate thread piston(s) and use the booster assembly.

Fixed barrel pistol caliber carbines (PCCs) like the CZ Scorpion, MP5 clones, 9mm ARs, etc. can be done direct thread with a booster like a tilting barrel handgun, but you need to remember to swap out the piston spring for a fixed barrel spacer. A 3-lug Mount is a better option for a PPC.

For centerfire rifle, you can go direct thread, which means that you either have to have a easily removable muzzle device, or leave it off entirely. Otherwise, you need a mount for each gun, and the mounts tend to be proprietary. Also, some companies have more variety with mounts than others. I’m talking brakes, comps, and flash hiders. Some companies may only offer one or two options, others more.

I choose the Griffin Optimus for my multi-can because of the various mounting options available. It comes with a piston booster for pistols and a taper mount interface for rifles. You can get adapters for 3-lug and one for slipping over standard A2 flash hiders. They also have a variety of taper mounts: brake only, FH only, and compensators. Basically, the Optimus lets you run almost whatever setup you want, and it’s modular so you can set up multiple lengths. The downside is that it’s a little on the heavy side, especially as a pistol can, doesn’t support .45, and like many multi-caliber suppressors, the numbers aren’t quite as good as many caliber specific can.

All that said, after buying the Optimus, I got further caliber specific suppressors, mostly so when I make a trip out to the range with multiple guns, I don’t have to worry about reconfiguring a hot can when I swap weapons. I’ll use the specific can on one gun type and configure the Optimus for a second gun if it’s a different setup.

Posts: 1779 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OMCHamlin
posted Hide Post
Well, as I've sometimes done in the past, I've listened to everyone's good advice and just went ahead and did what I wanted anyway, I have a Hybrid 46 on the way (in a long time, I suppose).
I also have a 45/70 Guide Gun and the upper for a 458 Socom, so this unit (appears) to be what I need...
I'll of course post my real world thoughts next year or so.

posted Hide Post
Congrats, sounds like it will fit your needs

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
If I could keep only one can, it would be my SiCo Hybrid for sure.

Even though I have numerous cans, there are many times I just take the Hybrid with me so I don't have to lug so much crap to the range.

I don't bother changing out the end caps anymore. I used to, but it works just fine for range fun with the original cap in it.

45-70 suppressed is cool imo. you'll love it.

E.S. Dunbar

Posts: 6511 | Location: Toledo, Ohio | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post