SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Worth having a Suppressor for 223/556 or 17HMR?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worth having a Suppressor for 223/556 or 17HMR? Login/Join 
Picture of Sourkraut
posted
Does a Suppressor for 223/556 or 17HMR make much difference considering that those calibers are both supersonic rounds? A Suppressor would not make them hearing safe, but is the sound reduction sufficient to make a noticeable difference? Trying to decide whether the expense is worth it. Would use for occasional hunting as well as general range work and plinking.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 454 | Location: Moved to Idaho, from OreGUN, 10/2016! | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to shooting everything suppressed these days. I don't have a 17HMR yet, but I have a suppressor that will work for it when I do acquire one. As far as 5.56, anything that knocks it down a few decibels is good enough reason as any in my book.

Posts: 1893 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Agree on suppressing 556. Several companies that make 556 suppressors-ranging in price from $500-1000. Not much difference in suppression-materials, weight and size of can.
17 will use a 22 caliber suppressor-in $300 range.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Octane HD 45, Saker 762, Spectre II, and SS Sparrow that I've used to suppress .22LR, .22WMR, 9mm, .45ACP, 5.56, and .308WIN. I have never shot anything suppressed and thought "that wasn't worth suppressing". Suppressors have increased enjoyment while shooting every one of them.

============================================
See all my firearm photos at
http://s1274.photobucket.com/u...rearms?sort=3&page=1
-----------------------------------
View a photography demo video here:
http://youtu.be/Iftice_BYlE

Posts: 1268 | Location: Inside the Beltway (VA) | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sourkraut:
Does a Suppressor for 223/556 or 17HMR make much difference considering that those calibers are both supersonic rounds?

I don't understand the mentality of "I should only suppress a subsonic round".

Sure, a supersonic round will always have the loud crack of the sonic boom. But reducing the noise levels from 155-ish dba to 125/130-ish dba is huge. Get a suppressor.

Posts: 4603 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the comments....I'm relatively new to suppressors and this helps a great deal!

Photoman: great tutorial!

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 454 | Location: Moved to Idaho, from OreGUN, 10/2016! | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
My .30 cal can is definitely more quiet than the 5.56 can. More volume of the .30 can seems to really work better on the AR than the inch shorter .22 cal can. Bonus of the larger caliber can, use it on .22-250 also, up to .300 Win Mag. It's 8" x 1.8". Until I can afford more of them, this works well.

Posts: 874 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even with supersonic ammo the cans are worth using. And remember, suppressors are also nice for reducing recoil. For most of the ammo I mentioned that isn't much of a concern but my Saker makes a huge difference on my .308 Ruger Gunsite Rifle. I didn't even like shooting it before I got the Saker and now I really wish rifle ammo wasn't so expensive (relatively). I could shoot it all day. The reduced recoil and muzzle blast make it a joy to shoot. The shots also have a very pleasant tone now. It just sounds neat.

Suppressors are worth getting.

============================================
See all my firearm photos at
http://s1274.photobucket.com/u...rearms?sort=3&page=1
-----------------------------------
View a photography demo video here:
http://youtu.be/Iftice_BYlE

Posts: 1268 | Location: Inside the Beltway (VA) | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
Picture of PorterN
posted Hide Post
Not a terrific picture like the ones above, but I definitely love shooting this suppressed! It's rapidly becoming my favorite rifle to shoot (next to my lever-actions.)

☣Biohazard☣

Posts: 6162 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
Picture of RHINOWSO
posted Hide Post
Yes.

read what you want
watch what you want
play what you want
think what you want
say what you want

Posts: 34367 | Location: Around | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post