SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Suppressor followup question.....

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Suppressor followup question..... Login/Join 
Picture of Sourkraut
posted
Ok, so based on your responses, I want a Suppressor for my AR. I currently have only one; a 6920. I'm thinking of a 30 Cal Suppressor should I eventually acquire a 30 cal AR at some point.

What cans should I consider, and, what type of mount is best? (I know....big can {pun intended}of worms)! I realize that size, weight, mount type etc are all considerations and impact the cost.

Budget is "mid-range", not the cheapest nor the most expensive.

Suggestions welcomed!

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 500 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a direct-thread Thunderbeast .223 can for my precision rifles. This is a fairly specialized lighter-weight can, and it's really quiet.

For more all around AR use, I have a Surefire SOCOM762-RC2 can. I have Surefire brakes or flash hiders on my ARs, which gives me the a quick-detach mount for the SOCOM can. Most of my ARs are 223, but I do have one 300BLK upper. The SOCOM762 can fits on both Surefire 223 and 308 brake/FH mounts.

My Thunderbeast can is a little quieter than the SOCOM, but I think the SOCOM can is a little burlier -- and thus can better tolerate higher rates of fire. Overall, I'm pleased with this setup.

One note for you down the road. My cans seem to stay firmly attached to bolt action rifles without the need to wrench them down tightly -- they just don't seem to come loose. However, with my ARs the cans will slowly loosen up (both direct thread and the Surefire brake/FH) if I don't crank them down tightly. Just a slight loosening on the threads results in a significantly lower bullet point of impact. Not a good thing to try to figure out during the middle of a competition....

Posts: 4930 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Report This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Your logic is sound but only you know if you will be wanting a 30 cal gun after the can. I bought a 300 blackout after I bought my 30 cal can. Like most others say once you start shooting suppressed you won't want to not shoot suppressed.

Dead Air, Surefire, SilencerCo, Rugged are a few that come to mind that you really can't go wrong with.

I think the best budget can in the market is the SpecWar from SilencerCo. The 30 cal version will be heavier than the premium offerings from the previous mentioned guys but will suppress almost the same.

If you wanted to dip your feet into the water get a Specwar K dedicated 5.56 before they are all gone roughly 600 bucks and see if suppressors are for you.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 2695 | Location: Winston-Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Silencerco Omega 30.
It comes with a direct thread mount, QD mount, and a muzzle device. A great value and really quick to convert. Light weight. 5.56 end caps are just a bonus.

Bruce

Hanlon's Razor /prov./ A corollary of Finagle's Law, similar to Occam's Razor, that reads "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

"It is better to be considered a house cat and sit on the lap of pretty girls than to be feared as a tiger and hunted by men."- T. Takamatsu

Posts: 2402 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Report This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I'll throw my vote in for the Dead Air Sandman S (short) or Rugged Razor. Probably at the high end of your budget, but worth it imo.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 4233 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Silencerco Omega 30. It performs quite well on 5.56 AR. Here it is on my BCM.

Posts: 709 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Report This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Let me toss in the suggestion of the Rugged Surge. Reason I suggest this can is because it's modular, giving you the option of the long or short configuration depending on what you want to shoot it on.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Posts: 3868 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: April 14, 2006Report This Post
Too nice for
my own good
Picture of sigarmsVin
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the SiCo Omega, excellent can with a lot of versatility for the money. 300BO sounds greats suppressed.

Posts: 901 | Location: Tri-State | Registered: March 28, 2005Report This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I think Dead Air has a nice stable of designs right now. Their .45 and .22 cans are on my short list.

Surefire's SOCOM cans look good for rifles. A bit pricey compare to others, but they are built for a certain group of people first, and their $$$ contracts.

Sig's centerfire cans are worth a look.

Q LLC is starting to roll out their designs. The El Camino .22 is making waves, and I expect them to unveil their centerfire designs soon. The owner of the company has a reputation for designing good cans.

Rugged is another brand to look at.

AAC was the king of cans a few years ago, but I don't hear people talking as much about them anymore. I hope it is more of increased competition and not Freedom Group hurting the brand.

Right now is an interesting time for suppressors. I think there is a lot of innovation going on in designs. Plus new companies are starting up, and established companies are getting into the game. Lots of competition is good and bad. Good for innovation, costs, and quality. Bad that some will never get their products the limelight they deserve.

Plus stocks of cans are starting to recover from the 41F but people are waiting to see if the HPA passes and are holding off on buying hoping to save time and $200 on their purchase.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 24305 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Report This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Let me toss in the suggestion of the Rugged Surge. Reason I suggest this can is because it's modular, giving you the option of the long or short configuration depending on what you want to shoot it on.

Wow. After seeing the .22 and pistol cans with long and short configurations, I wondered when anyone would be doing the same for rifles. Now I know.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 24305 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Report This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I went from an old M42K to the Omega 762 with the ASR mount and couldn't be happier.
There's also a guy on arfcom making titanium direct threads, adapters, and end caps for cheaper than the steel factory models. Makes a light can even lighter.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26494 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
How much lighter, I wonder.

Bruce

Hanlon's Razor /prov./ A corollary of Finagle's Law, similar to Occam's Razor, that reads "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

"It is better to be considered a house cat and sit on the lap of pretty girls than to be feared as a tiger and hunted by men."- T. Takamatsu

Posts: 2402 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Report This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
Like the comments and what I've read about the Omega!

Picture of Cntrl23
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Omega here, it's what I picked up (just days before 41F) after a lot of research. Plus, with the current $200 promo that SilencerCo has going on, that's just one more in the pro's column! Definitely nice to have a $200 credit towards all the different mounting options and accessories to make it even more versatile right out of the gate.

I just visited the shop that has mine for the first time last weekend, now I am even more impatient about getting it home! Good luck with your decision, I don't think there are many "bad options" out there.

SilencerCo $200 Promo

Posts: 134 | Location: MN | Registered: January 07, 2016Report This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cntrl23:
Another vote for the Omega here, it's what I picked up (just days before 41F) after a lot of research. Plus, with the current $200 promo that SilencerCo has going on, that's just one more in the pro's column! Definitely nice to have a $200 credit towards all the different mounting options and accessories to make it even more versatile right out of the gate.

I just visited the shop that has mine for the first time last weekend, now I am even more impatient about getting it home! Good luck with your decision, I don't think there are many "bad options" out there.

SilencerCo $200 Promo

Nice! I believe that's the direction I'm going!

Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Just picked up my Omega recently...very pleased!

Posts: 4045 | Location: NH | Registered: January 22, 2005Report This Post