SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Where to start? All things 300 BLK and Suppression.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to start? All things 300 BLK and Suppression. Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted
Hey quiet shooters...

So, I've been a member at SigForum for a few years, and I've probably never spent any real time in this section. Big Grin Well that's apparently going to change as I've just ordered a 300 BLK pistol, and I'd like to start the process of researching an appropriate suppressor, as well as all things care and maintenance for the suppressor, and (most importantly) NFA ramifications and the trust/personal decision, etc.

Anyone have a good place to go to school on this stuff? Just ask here? Is there a good thread, site, video?

Thanks so much.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9141 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For your trust, spend $99 with our own heavyd

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...200041293#8200041293

As far as suppressors themselves, you'll have two ways to go. A pistol rated suppressor will allow you to shoot subs and a rifle suppressor will allow you to shoot supersonic rounds. The rifle suppressor will weigh more due to its different materials.

That being said, there is probably a hybrid out there now that addresses the above. I haven't bought a new suppressor in a few years and haven't been keeping up as much.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I got into 300BLK with the idea of suppression in 2015. I wanted a shorty upper for my M4 Colt factory SBR and did my research first with Dr. Phil Dater @ our PHX SAR Gun Show. He said I would need at least an 8" barrel for a can to be effective with sub-sonics.

I started shooting super-sonics (Rem. 120 gr. OTFB) w/o a can. Later I bought a SilencerCo Omega 300 for subs.

During the 'Lock Down' I lusted after a pistol version for my 8" upper. So:

I have been using Gemtech Subsonic 187 gr. - 1050 fps. with the Omega.

Posts: 3992 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently run my BLK with my 9mm can for subs only. I'm strongly considering a new 30 can as my old one is heavy for a carbine and needs more mounting surface as its a reflex can. I'm currently looking at the yhm resonator but I haven't been can shopping in years so I'm by no means the authority.

Posts: 3040 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started on the 300BLK path with a Contender carbine in 300 Whisper. Same thing (almost) but the twist isn't good for bullets over 170 grain.

I wanted a very quiet hunting option. 16" bbl with home made 150 rn over 700x (yes shotgun powder) makes for a very quiet 50 yard killer.

With Supersonic factory deer loads, it has worked as well, and not loud enough to wake the neighbors.

I use a Silencerco 30 cal Harvester mainly, but have used the 45 cal Octane with subs as well. The Harvester is a hunting can, no long rapid fire, but it's extremely light weight.

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
I've just ordered a 300 BLK pistol, and I'd like to start the process of researching an appropriate suppressor

I've had a trust for quite a few years. My blackout suppressor is a Surefire SOCOM.

Consider the type of shooting you want from your 300blk:
- subsonic or supersonic ammo
- accuracy expectation from the ammo
- target distances
- rate of fire
- is your emphasis on keeping the can's weight low or the noise levels low?
- will you share the can with other rifles?
- preferred can mounting system -- direct thread or quick detach

Posts: 7845 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help so far.

Any major pitfalls that you wish you would have known before you purchased/registered/etc

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9141 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2 cents. Consider the mounting / attachment method and not just the can. Will it be stupid expensive or hard to find mounts if the company goes under or transfers ownership. You will eventually need more than one mount or a part you never thought you'd need.

Remember that its like a sickness. You put a can on one gun and every gun afterwards you will be saying "I wonder if this is compatible/ how much to thread _____" so dont worry about spending up front.

Lastly, if you can, go listen to actual shots as some cans that meter well sound different than others that have a better in person tone. Numbers are good but its not all in the DB numbers.

Have fun!

Posts: 3040 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have an 8" Upper and an Omega can and it sounds great, I also use heavyD's trust.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Look at rugged suppressors and libertycans.net

A 300BLK pistol is very practical.

Posts: 5096 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I have this inbound:

https://www.rainierarms.com/br...brace-pistol-6-main/

I think it'll be perfect for in a bag/backpack for when we travel up north, plus it should fit perfectly (with room to spare) in the wall safe in our master BR.

On the bright side it comes with a SilencerCo ASR, which should mate perfectly with an OMEGA. Gonna start on that next week, so that by next summer (maybe?) I'll be able to not blow eardrums out if I should ever need to use it in a pinch.

Or blow them out when we're having fun.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Sig 762QD can. Added two more QD mounts (The can came with one too)so now my suppressor can move from two ARs in 5.56 to my AR pistol in 300....And I have a 5.56 pistol barrel too.

Since it’s a pistol, I can cross state lines w/o permission from BATFE.

Added a LAW adapter to the AR pistol and a DOLOS Pantheon system to swap barrels...so it folds, and I can remove the barrel with a twist of the lock ring.

With the brace folded, it fits into a laptop bag with the barrel attached, or in a backpack...take off the barrel and it all fits into a 50cal ammo can

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've got a 16", 10" and 8" 300AAC uppers but the 8" is about the only one I shoot and use a YHM30-Ti ...

I load my own, Sunday I was working with a new to me powder and a guy at the range said he thought maybe I was shooting a suppressed 22LR AR ... I was ringing steel at 150 yards, when it finally got there. I wish I could see the arc, it had to be like a mortar.

I need to pump up the powder a bit because it wouldn't cycle the action ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel that loading your own is very important if you are looking for excellent sound suppression. I have a 16 inch barrel and silencerco hybrid. I found factory subsonic loads to be right at or above the speed of sound. That being said, a 16 inch barrel and silencerco hybrid is not an optimal suppression system.

Regarding cycling the action with low charges: I got a NEMO buffer spring for my suppressed shooting and it fixed everything (lighter spring).

Enough from me.

"They keep telling me Jesus walked on water, well he should have surfed." -Ben Harper

Posts: 67 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: February 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wscrst:
I feel that loading your own is very important if you are looking for excellent sound suppression.

<SNIP>

Regarding cycling the action with low charges: I got a NEMO buffer spring for my suppressed shooting and it fixed everything (lighter spring).

Enough from me.

Where did you get your NEMO buffer spring? My Googlefu is obviously not working as what I was finding was automobile springs to spring loaded dog leashes ... Help!

I did buy a specific bolt carrier for my 8" 300, it has a switch for suppressed or not ... pretty sure its just a gimmick but I needed a carrier for this and bought into it as it didn't cost any more than any other carrier. I'm not sure what it actually does because I can't tell a difference between the settings.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Running a 6” 300blk with Sandman-K suppressor and Hornady SUB-X TAP 190gr. This is my in car setup. Only 20 rounds of the SUB-X. Reloads are 30 rd mags of 110gr GMX TAP.

Pretty quiet with the K. Very quiet if I use any of my full size .30 cal suppressors. I have an Omega 9K that I need to try.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Only thing is Chowser ... I've never thought of Trump as being particularly quiet!

I've got that same MAGA lower in the safe but haven't built it yet.

Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
With its little 9mm friend...

Posts: 3992 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post