SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    .30 cal can 5/8x24 thread on sporter barrel?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30 cal can 5/8x24 thread on sporter barrel? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So my YHM muzzle brake for the resonator is 5/x24 as is the Griffin GP7 direct thread suppressor. Planning on using on a Tikka T3 and some other hunting sporter rifles.

Did I pick a bad set up?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19097 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Thats the standard threading for 308, so if its factory threaded, i dont see that there would be any issues. If youre threading it, concentricity and thickness could be an issue, but i see a lot of Tikka factory threaded barrels that look “sporter” contoured.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
nothing that is factory threaded. Going to take the YHM muzzle brake and shims to my gunsmith and talk with him. The dealer told me I may need one of these.

https://www.brownells.com/rifl...-8-24-prod86836.aspx

thoughts?

Thanks guys.

Picture of George from Alaska
posted Hide Post
You only need that adapter if the Tika is threaded to that pitch other than 5/8 x 24.
Even if the Tika is not threaded 5/8x24 you can almost always get the suppressor manufacturer to provide you with the proper threaded adapter so you don't have to add another piece.
I've had suppressor manufacturers provide me with all sorts of non common threaded inserts.

P220 European
P220 Scorpion
P220 10mm Legion
MK25
P226 Legion
P226 SAO Legion
P229 Legion
556 rifle, my favorite 556
P320 M17 (not the expensive
one) with Leupold DPP
P227 Tac-ops
machineguns
suppressors
07/02

Posts: 76 | Registered: August 04, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
my Tikka will need to be threaded if the barrel profile will allow it. The thought of that adapter is the Tikka barrel could possibly be threaded 9/16"x24 vs the 5/8" to fit the YHM muzzle brake.

posted Hide Post
If your barrel is .30 caliber and is unthreaded, why wouldn’t you thread it to 5/8x24? There is no reason to thread to a different pitch and then use an adapter to change to 5/8x24. Other than HKs and AKs having their strange metric pitches, almost everyone else uses 5/8x24 for bigger than .22 caliber.

Posts: 3322 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
the question is will a sporter barrel be big enough (thickness) to able to thread the muzzle device on to that profile of of barrel. Is there going to be enough shoulder?

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
It seems the 20” Tika T3 sport eras are threaded 5/8 x 24, the 24” barrels have an option for threading.

Posts: 2293 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My 223 Tikka T3 (not T3x) “Tactical” is factory threaded M18×1.0, and I use a Thunder Beast muzzle brake adapter to attach a 30P-1. Just behind the threaded portion the barrel measures 0.865" in diameter. That’s probably larger than the Sporter barrels, but it would be easy to check. I’m sure, though, that the companies like GEMTECH or Thunder Beast that do aftermarket barrel threading would be able to advise whether your barrel is suitable for threading for a can.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47360 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
The Tikka tactical threaded barrel models have a different profile. I will be taking my Tikka and the muzzle brake to my Gunsmith to have him assess the situation.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Down Range Products for needed items it looks like.

posted Hide Post
Try measuring the diameter instead of guessing.

Those who forget history are destined to repeat it.

Posts: 385 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
So the barrel will be threaded 1/2x24 and a down range threaded adpt. will be used to go up to the 5/8x24 for the YHM muzzle brake and the 5/8x24 Griffin direct thread GP-7 on the rifles I plan to shoot suppressed.

Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
I went through this recently with a 30-30. Barrel profile was thin, so I had it threaded 1/2-28. I use a YHM 1/2-28 flash hider and my ULT mounts no problem. Just be aware if you have a 5.56 YHM can to not let it get mounted on your Tikka.

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
thx CZ. I only have .30 cal. cans once they clear.