SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Where are we now on the Hearing Protection Act?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where are we now on the Hearing Protection Act? Login/Join 
Picture of Tiger 2 Tank
posted
Any updates?

Posts: 968 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I'd say its a few years away, if ever.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
If you want suppressors, SBRs etc. don't wait on HPA, get them now.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is going to be very hard for it to make it to the floor in the House and discussed in the Senate, then even harder to get the votes needed to get it to POTUS desk.

I am not holding my breath, it makes too much sense for our Government to agree on, JMO.

Posts: 75 | Registered: June 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tiger 2 Tank
posted Hide Post
Well, okay but where is it now? As we speak....I mean type.

Posts: 968 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
Doesn't look like it will be signed in the first hundred days

https://www.congress.gov/bill/...gress/house-bill/367

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1088 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This does a better job at trying to explain than I could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9MoCyr4-F0

Posts: 75 | Registered: June 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:

This. If you love this "hobby". Get them now. The industry as a whole is suffering.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
Originally posted by David W:

This. If you love this "hobby". Get them now. The industry as a whole is suffering.

I hear you, I just wish the wait would start getting better! I'm a form 1 builder too, so right now I'm just killing myself designing cans for stuff I don't even own yet and gathering materials. I think I have a good radial cone suppressor drawn up for my .45. I may go ahead and make the booster but I think that will make my want only worse.

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1184 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My thoughts, the biggest hurdle in getting a form 1 or 4 approved is the wait. Is there anyone that's been held back because of the cost of the stamp?

I'm sure the fed receives a million or two a year from these stamps and that is where the snag is going to occur. I'm retired and not swimming in money but I would still support the bill if it left the $200 tax in place but allowed the transfer on a 4473.

The 4473 already has a mechanism in place to screen recipients taking possession of deadly instruments of death, what not add a line to collect $200 to transfer a metal tube?

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Luther Strange, the Alabama Senator who was appointed to replace Jeff Sessions, signed on as a co-sponsor for the bill a few days ago.

http://www.al.com/news/index.s..._co-sponsors_bi.html

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine79830:
My thoughts, the biggest hurdle in getting a form 1 or 4 approved is the wait. Is there anyone that's been held back because of the cost of the stamp?

I'm sure the fed receives a million or two a year from these stamps and that is where the snag is going to occur. I'm retired and not swimming in money but I would still support the bill if it left the $200 tax in place but allowed the transfer on a 4473.

The 4473 already has a mechanism in place to screen recipients taking possession of deadly instruments of death, what not add a line to collect $200 to transfer a metal tube?

The revenue might be meaningful to the government, but it can't be very much.

It's kind of funny, the $200 tax stamp didn't actually originate as a revenue source for the government, it was pretty much a way to ban NFA items without actually banning them. The $200 tax was set in 1934. In today dollars that's about $4000 but somehow the government never got around to increasing it.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you'll see wait times start to decrease once the massive pile of pre-41F forms are processed. I was poking through a thread the other day where a guy was lamenting the "ridiculous four month wait"...about a year and a half ago. I certainly do not get the impression there is much buying going on between the Trump effect, the people waiting and praying for the HPA, and the people who only bought before 41F because they somehow thought it was significant. The big question is when we will see the first post-41F forms processed.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
Yes! and how quickly will the wait drop?

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1184 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who knows? I'm sure that's a function of the presumably lower number of forms post 41F and I'm guessing what at the NFA branch will be more ability to take vacation and less overtime.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I've been keeping tabs on the bills in both the house and senate.

Currently the Senate has 30 sponsors (plus the 1 guy who introduced it) which gives us 31.
I've also received an email from one of my senators (Thom Tillis) stating:
"Should this bill come before the full Senate, I will support it."
Even though he's not a sponsor I'm going to count him anyway so that gets us up to 32.
Has anyone else heard from any of their senators on this?
I believe we only need 51 to get through the Senate (simple majority should be all that's needed for this) - so we're only 19 short.

Meanwhile over in the house...
We've got 141 sponsors (plus the 1 guy who introduced it) which gives us 142.
There's 435 members in the house. Again only a simple majority should be needed so 218 is our magic number.
This leaves us with 76 to go.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The Wall Street Journal had an article yesterday.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/n...silencers-1495582743

The National Rifle Association, which typically rests its case on the Second Amendment and personal security, is framing legislation that would make it easier to buy gun silencers as a public health issue.

The NRA’s campaign includes rebranding silencers as “suppressors” because they don’t completely silence the sound of gunfire. Silencers reduce the average firearm noise from 165 decibels to below the potentially dangerous level of 140 decibels.

“The Hearing Protection Act” is the gun lobby’s priority in Congress, along with a bill that would allow people to carry concealed weapons across state lines if they have permits in their home state.

“We can have disagreements about politics, but there should be universal support for hearing protection,” said Chris Cox, executive director of the political arm of the NRA.

Gun control groups oppose efforts to make suppressors more accessible, arguing that the noise of gunfire is essential to warn potential victims and help law enforcement track down criminals.

“Hearing is important, of course, but so are people’s lives,” said Erika Soto Lamb, a spokeswoman for Everytown for Gun Safety. “This is about putting profits over public safety when the market is saturated with guns, and now they want to sell accessories.”

The push to make it easier and cheaper to buy silencers comes at a time when gun sales are on the decline. Background checks dropped 11 % between January and April this year compared with the same period in 2016, according to federal data. Gun sales typically rise when the White House favors gun control; background checks more than doubled under former President Barack Obama to 27.5 million last year.

Demands for silencers also rose during the Obama administration, with the number of registrations reaching 902,805 last February, according to the Justice Department. Currently, a Depression-era law requires suppressor buyers to submit fingerprints and photographs, pay a $200 fee and pass a background check that can take nine to 12 months. “It’s the hardest consumer product to buy,” said SilencerCo spokesman Jason Schauble.

Proposed legislation would allow full rebates on the $200 fee and make the red tape the same as what’s required to buy a firearm. That means a buyer could walk out of a store with a suppressor after an instant background check in some states on the same day.

The silencer legislation is expected to be well-received by the Republican-led Congress and President Donald Trump. In the first speech to the NRA by a sitting president since 1983, Mr. Trump in April called himself “a true friend and champion” of the organization. Its political arm spent more on his 2016 campaign than any other outside group.

Mr. Trump’s older son, Donald Trump Jr., appeared in a promotional video last year for Utah-based SilencerCo, the biggest silencer manufacturer. “I love the product,” Mr. Trump says in the video.

He didn’t respond to inquiries about whether he would lobby for the legislation sponsored by Republican Reps. Jeff Duncan of South Carolina and John Carter of Texas.

Less than two weeks after the video was posted online, SilencerCo CEO Joshua Waldron and his wife, Audrey, each gave the maximum $2,700 contribution to then-candidate Trump’s presidential campaign and another $22,300 to the Republican National Committee.

Asked about Mr. Trump’s position on the silencer legislation, a White House spokeswoman said, “The Trump administration is dedicated to preserving Second Amendment rights, as well as eliminating regulations and laws that interfere with those rights.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to wait. I may drop the coin on an Omega and a 22lr can if there are any Memorial Day sales going on.

My 5.56 can gets a ton of use. If you shoot a lot, get one, you will like it.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I strongly encourage everybody to wait it out. I have some purchases to make yet and a couple of Form 1 SBRs to send on 7/1 when it's legal here. So please, please, wait it out...

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
DOA, IMO.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post