SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    New at this. Should I worry?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New at this. Should I worry? Login/Join 
medlem
posted
I have little idea what I'm doing, so I just did what my suppressor sales guy told me to do. I don't think he's dealt with new people in a while, so it didn't all go swimmingly.

On May 10th, 2017, I sent off my paperwork for a suppressor. Beforehand, I texted him 11 pics of what I was going to mail off to the ATF so I could be sure I had everything right. He said, "Looks good, send it". So I did. The next day, I asked him if I was supposed to also include a copy of my trust paperwork. I was supposed to and I didn't. He said not to worry about it and they'd just send an error letter.

Slow forward 9 months. They still haven't cashed my check. I called Dec 26th and they said they received my paperwork, but I shouldn't send in the trust paperwork because it's unlikely they could link it to my paperwork they have on hand. Should I be concerned at all that they haven't cashed my check, or is this what's to be expected when I sabotage myself right off the bat?

Posts: 2242 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Checks are processed as ACH debit, check your bank account. On the trust thing, your dealer will get the letter... resubmit and it'll clear in under 2 weeks.

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d be a little worried, but I’m not here to cause you more distress. I’ve read where people have had their entire submission rejected, $200 refunded over several months and to the back of the line you go for errors. My personal experience has had 2 submissions by my dealer having a mistake. They received a letter from the ATF, as did I, my dealer made the correction and a week or 2 later I was good to go. Hopefully best case scenario plays out for you. Having said all that, I would be on the phone with ATF as I’ve always had my check cashed in a matter of a couple of weeks tops, no matter what the return times happened to be at the time.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
medlem
posted Hide Post
I called today and they said they received everything on May 17th. Once they get to processing my paperwork, which they haven't yet, my dealer will be notified of the missing paperwork. I guess that means everything is still on track. I guess I can relax and enjoy a bit more waiting until I hear otherwise.

Posts: 2242 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is of that they haven't cashed your check yet. That usually happens within days, or a week or two depending on how busy they are. Check to make sure it didn't clear, as it would be a ACH debit like Candyman.45 said. All of my customers payments go through very fast, usually within a day or two depending on if it credit card or check. As for the missing paperwork, the agent will call your FFL to notify them of the missing paperwork, and they can simply email a copy in to the ATF. I have had them call for customers that forgot trust paperwork, or responsible person questionnaires.

I always go over the paperwork with customers, and give them a copy of the Silencerco SuppressED pamphlet, as it has a great checklist and instructions in it for folks to follow. It saves on a lot of the calls with questions to me about anything they forgot that we went over when I give them the form 4's, and paperwork to submit.

Posts: 346 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
medlem
posted Hide Post
Damn, you guys were right. Of course. Smile It went through as an ACH debit on 5/18/17. Woo hoo!

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be worried about the trust, my first time I did 2 at once but only sent 1 copy of my trust ... The two form 1's got separated and the trust went with one, the second examiner sent an error letter ... I called him and he let me fax him a copy of my trust, it was only delayed by a couple days.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I have a can in jail that I forgot to send a copy of my trust for too.

I anticipate within the next 8 weeks or so, my shop will get notified of the mistake and we will mail it in then.

There's nothing you can do about it until that notification. I've not known anyone who has gone to the back of the line, but that would suck!

I'll let you know what happens when the notification comes in.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I got an email from the ATF yesterday. They sent the email to both my FFL/SOT and me indicating my Declaration of Trust was not attached.

I attached a pdf version of my Declaration and it was done. She Kindly replied back that she received the attachment.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I picked up my can today. Looks like the need to correct my paperwork didn't send me to the back of the line.

Just wanted to report back and close the loop.