SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    9mm problems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm problems Login/Join 
posted
I have a Coastal Gun Inc “Ultima 9mm Sound Suppressor”. I have tried it on 2 different G19’s and a G17, all 3 run perfect without the can, none of them will function with the can. The slide moves back just far enough to reset the trigger but closes with the fired case still in the chamber.

Barrels are from Lone Wolf, tried factory spring and 15 lb spring on the two G19, tried factory spring, 13 lb spring and an 11 lb spring on the G17.

Ammo used was Speer Lawman 147 gr, Blazer Brass 115 gr, 115 gr reloads (hot load chrono’s at 1251 fps), 147 gr reloads (est 930 fps).

Anyone here had similar problems with 9mm Glock? I also got a Ti-Rant 45 at the same time and it has been flawless on my G21SF.

Posts: 772 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Just going off what you said sounds like a can issue, since the guns work with the TiRant. Is the booster assembly put together correctly?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Posts: 3581 | Location: Springfield, MO...for now (Texan by birth) | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ti-Rant 45 has only been on a G21, I don't have an adapter to screw it onto the 9mm barrels.

I sent an email to the Mfg today, thought I would wait to hear from them before taking it apart. The sound suppression is about what I expected so that part functions ok.

Posts: 772 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
How long have you had it and have you ever had it apart?

The reason I ask is because from what I was just reading they seem to ship these cans with gobs of grease on the piston (almost too much). Could be as simple as wiping down the piston and screwing it back together.

Posts: 3581 | Location: Springfield, MO...for now (Texan by birth) | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have not had it apart, just unscrewed the cap and look inside. Got the can a couple of weeks ago, just received the springs today. Waiting to hear from Mfg before I go into the can, don't want to void any warranty on it.

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Gotcha.

If it's a user serviceable can shouldn't be any issue with taking it apart. Make sure you post back with what you find out. I'll be interested to hear the outcome.

posted Hide Post
Received a prompt reply from Coastal, they want me to ship it back to them so they can find out why I am having problems. Will give another update once this situation is finalized.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an issue with the nielsen device ("muzzle booster/recoil booster"). I wonder if the manufacturer put the wrong spring in it?

Posts: 16721 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They mentioned it could have the wrong spring installed. Not a lot of moving parts in a suppressor, wrong spring or a bad seal somewhere are my two guesses.
It just sucks to have the money invested for 7 months and then find an “oops”.

posted Hide Post
I know its a drag all the time and money but at least you've got
#1. A company who's apparently responding to your problem.
#2. A forum that can offer considered opinions and suggestions.
Let us know how this play's out. When this gets solved, we'll all learn from it.

Posts: 475 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to let those interested know that nothing has been resolved but I am optimistic about this situation. Mfg received it 7 days ago and called me that same day. I expect to get it back in a few more days and then will have more than just an assumption to post on what went wrong.

posted Hide Post
I received the suppressor back from the manufacturer, took it to the range today and both the G17 and G19 with factory springs ran with no issues.

I give the manufacturer, Coastal Guns Inc, an A+ rating for their effort in resolving this issue. All facts point to the problem being that someone played with it long enough to fire several hundred rounds thru it and then without performing any maintenance sold to me as a “new” unit. Even though the problem had nothing to do with the quality of the can on their part, Coastal Guns Inc replaced parts as needed and cleaned the unit at no charge, then paid the shipping costs to get it back to me.

I give the dealer an F- for selling me a used, not in working condition suppressor. Since I have not discussed the results of this issue with them I will not name the dealer at this time. Don’t expect any more updates, whatever action I take with the dealer is not something I feel is appropriate to be published on a public forum.

I also blame myself for not totally inspecting the can before I left the store. I’ve bought guns from this dealer in the past and had absolutely no reason not to trust them. As admin of a trust I have purchased several cans (all from other dealers) and never had any problems.

Lesson learned -- Should I ever purchase any more cans I will totally disassemble them before I walk out regardless of who I buy it from.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Of course it is something to put on the forum. They did business in a slipshod and perhaps fraudulent manner. Just be factual and accurate and you have nothing to fear. And you might help someone else who could be taken in.

Good for Coastal Guns.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 42478 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Please name them.

I ordered a suppressor and when it got in, the dealer said it's here if you want to visit.

I said No. Keep it new in box so when I pick up, it's fresh.

I really think he would've been using it if I came in to test it. Not sure, but they were real keen on me coming in to use it. I said I can wait.

Posts: 883 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
Picture of mew
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell

I really think he would've been using it if I came in to test it. Not sure, but they were real keen on me coming in to use it. I said I can wait.

Yeah probably would have become the demo unit.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 363 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post