SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Anyone ever make their own suppressor?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever make their own suppressor? Login/Join 
posted
With Form 1’s coming in rather quickly and Form 4”s taking forever I’m considering making a Form 1 suppressor. I see these DM kits which look simple enough but I don’t have much in the way of tools so was wondering how complicated are these kits?

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me, too. I'd love to be able to Form 1 a rimfire kit.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several videos of my form 1 on here.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I have done x2.

I'm no machinist. Like all things do your research and take your time. Piece of cake!

Specs:
DM 22LR all titanium kit anodized by NCengraver.

30 cal SD Tac tube with RSC clipped cones. Griffin taper mount. All titanium except first x2 cones. If I remember right it's 18oz. I think I was all in around $380 with parts & engraving. Performs as well as any commercial I've shot against. I gave it a oxy clean bath that grey'ed up the titanium some.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Also if you do a titanium 22LR can. You can clean it by just screwing it on a .223 and slow firing x2 rounds through it. Big Grin

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Okay, I am extremely curious. Where are these videos? What all is involved? I emailed DM. He sent a pic of a "TI" kit for a rimfire suppressor.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://form1suppressor.boards.net/

It is the best place to go. The data is not in a step by step process. simply go and start reading. then read more. take notes.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
So it's not a matter of "Get the kit, get the stamp, drill holes, finish, assemble, shoot"?

Frown I'm not really that much into engineering, etc.

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
So it's not a matter of "Get the kit, get the stamp, drill holes, finish, assemble, shoot"?

That's basically what I did on my first can. All I had to do was cut spacers & drill. I helped a SOT (Rusty) do some R&D work and he re-cored my can later on in Ti after I blew up the aluminium guts he put in for testing.

posted Hide Post
quote:

It is and it isn't. Most of what is out there is pretty well known. If you know what material, type of cones, endcaps there are a half dozen designs you can copy.

On the flip side, you can simply say i want an 8 inch can. do your tax stamp. Recieve yoru tube, cut the hole in t he end cap, send it to an 02/07 sot (i used Rusty's services) and have them core the can (cut the spacers, baffles) to suit your needs.

this is about a 90 day process, will run you comparable to a normal can cost. You however get a talior made can specific to your needs with quality materials made by an engineer.

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Is that what Diversified Machine offers? The end caps and tube are pretty obvious, as are the baffles. Then there are several short tube sections I assume are spacers. I'd have to get someone to cut and drill, I don't have a press.

Something to ponder I suppose.

posted Hide Post
Make a 223/556 capable suppressor. Go to 60* cones Use the DHC clip. This will allow you to blow out any 22lr gunk with a 223. It really keeps the 22lr crap from building up as much.

It will suppress amazingly well on 22lr. Even my 45 cal can suppress 22lr very well.

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Problem is my .223/5.56s are already set up to take the SpecWar 762 I have already. LOL

posted Hide Post
LOL, gotcha. My 45acp form 1 can can direct thread onto either 1/28 or 5/8x24 depending on what adapter i put on it. That being said. I would still suggest making able to handle 223/556 incase you ever do want to put it on a center fire rifle.

you could also over bore the cones for 30cal, but put a 22 cal end cap on it when using 22lr.

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Silly question.....when building your own, what do you put for serial number, whatever you want?

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Silly question.....when building your own, what do you put for serial number, whatever you want?

You get to pick model & serial number.

Since my .30 cal was titanium I went with "Titan". My 22LR is titanium as well. Thought the Greek theme was neat so named it "Calypso" Some texts she is referred to The God of Silence.

Put my Son's B-Day on Calypso and just put 0001 on the Titan.

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Are you all pretty satisfied with the performance and durability of these "kit cans" versus off-the-shelf ones? If my numbers are right, I'm looking at an extra $150ish for getting my can a LOT quicker and having something fun for a model/serial number.

posted Hide Post
I am, it 8s as good as i could hope for.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you all pretty satisfied with the performance and durability of these "kit cans" versus off-the-shelf ones? If my numbers are right, I'm looking at an extra $150ish for getting my can a LOT quicker and having something fun for a model/serial number.

I've shot my .30 cal on my 10.5" SBR in 5.56 next to and it sounds as good or at times better than commercial cans on 16" rifles.