SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    So I could use a little insight on a .30cal suppressor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I could use a little insight on a .30cal suppressor Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I am starting to think I should take the plunge. I talked with a guy recently who has what I believe he said had a Thunderbeast muzzle brake and suppressor. The suppressor just threaded on to his mb. I believe he said that set up was about $1000 which i am thinking included the stamp. Does that sound about right?

Other recommendations on other set ups?. I would like to be able to use to shoot on different bolt action rifles mostly. He said you can use it on other, smaller calibers but your noise suppression is not as good. Which makes sense.

Thoughts.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Traditional when talking about price, the $200 stamp is not included in the tag. TBAC is considered by most to be The Bar when it comes to bolt action suppressors. Therefore commands a hefty price tag to go with that reputation! A good place to take a look around: https://www.silencershop.com/s...tml?manufacturer=480

The real question is always what are you gonna put it on and what style of shooting. As for using it on smaller calibers with a larger caliber suppressor... several companies make different size end caps that help in the that department.

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
My most versatile can is my SiCo Omega. I can use it with QD brakes/flash hiders, direct thread to guns without muzzle devices in caliber from 22LR to 300WM.

If bolt actions are your primary tool, length and weight will be important factors to consider. Your favorite rifle quickly becomes your worst enemy when you hang a long heavy chink of metal off the end, at least from a hunting perspective. If its jsut a range/paper puncher, it probablyu wont matter much and other facotrs may be more important such as suppression level and consistent POI when suppressed which I believe is TBACS claim to fame.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thunderbeast has a system that I had my older 30P-1 (since replaced by the “Ultra” line) converted to. Separate flash suppressors or muzzle brakes are available with different threads to fit a variety of hosts on a semipermanent basis. The male threads on the muzzle devices are all the same and the can then screws onto them.

I now use the suppressor on a Colt AR, a Thompson Center in 300 Blackout, Sakos and Tikkas in 223, 6.5 Creedmoor, 308 (and formerly 300 Win Mag), and (soon, I hope) a Seekins SP-10 (308). As the name implies, the 30P-1 was designed for .30 cartridges, but when used on my 223 Tikka it’s much quieter than with the 308 (both have 20 inch barrels). I don’t know a lot about suppressors and perhaps a dedicated 223 can would be quieter than the 30P-1, but the latter works well enough for me to be happy with it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys. Good info. I know next to nothing on this stuff

thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post
What's the most powerful rifle you plan on attaching it to?

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do some research on the suppressor manufacturer’s QD muzzle device. Some perform better than others. I won’t name names but I’ve had issues with one that kept loosening up and even blew my suppressor off my barrel. Luckily no damage. I recommend Dead Air’s Sandman suppressors.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
Do some research on the suppressor manufacturer’s QD muzzle device. Some perform better than others. I won’t name names but I’ve had issues with one that kept loosening up and even blew my suppressor off my barrel. Luckily no damage. I recommend Dead Air’s Sandman suppressors.

I like my Sandman but the lack of direct thread would keep me from making it my only can.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
You can use a SiCo Omega on 22 LR?
Tell me more about that, before I go and buy a 22 LR can!

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thunderbeast makes a great suppressors. They are seen a lot on long range precision rifles. The ultra series uses the newer designed the threaded muzzle break which is nice design. They are known for their repeatability in terms of point of impact shift. I highly recommend them.

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 241 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, as far as the most powerful rifle I would use stayfrosty.

Not completely sure. 300wsm or 300wm, possibly a 30-338?

But also have a 30 06 and 7mm wm among others. Wink

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
You can use a SiCo Omega on 22 LR?
Tell me more about that, before I go and buy a 22 LR can!

Bruce

I’m on my iPad or I’d type up a very lengthy reply. The short version is yes you can, but don’t. You’ll be much happier with a dedicated rimfire can. I’ll expand on that in the morning when I’m back in front of my laptop.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't shoot 22lr in a sealed can. You will regret it quickly with all the trash a 22lr put out. Just the molten lead that ends up in a can could cause bad things with a high powered round tries to pass. I own a couple of 30 cal cans (Harvester and ARC30) and they are completely different to shoot with. Decide on what you want and spend whatever it costs. NFA items are basically lifetime investments, so buy once, cry once.

Posts: 17 | Location: Golf Cart City, GA | Registered: March 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks guys, as far as the most powerful rifle I would use stayfrosty.

Not completely sure. 300wsm or 300wm, possibly a 30-338?

But also have a 30 06 and 7mm wm among others. Wink

I've been out of the suppressor market since I have what I need but one thing you may want to consider is the manufacturer's blessing to use their suppressor for certain calibers, barrel lengths and rate of fire. I find calling the manufacturer directly and addressing all of your concerns is time well spent vs. trying to find answers on the internet. After questioning a few reputable manufacturers, research the ones that fit your needs and buy accordingly. Warranty is important and in a depressed market I'd stick to manufacturers that are likely to stick around to honor their warranty.

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allsmiles:
Don't shoot 22lr in a sealed can. You will regret it quickly with all the trash a 22lr put out. Just the molten lead that ends up in a can could cause bad things with a high powered round tries to pass. I own a couple of 30 cal cans (Harvester and ARC30) and they are completely different to shoot with. Decide on what you want and spend whatever it costs. NFA items are basically lifetime investments, so buy once, cry once.

If the 22LR can is rated for .223 as well. 1-2 slow fire rounds will clean it out.

I do this on my titanium 6" form 1 can. Blows it out clean as a whistle! No need to scrape or soak.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very happy with my Silencerco Omega. I have ASR QD brakes and flashhiders on my AR's and use the direct thread on bolt guns. Only issue I ever had was the ASR QD mount seized up and my flashhider came off stuck inside. Silencerco send me a new adapter the next day along with some rockset to reattach the flash hider.

Posts: 791 | Location: PA | Registered: June 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tomball Pawn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I am starting to think I should take the plunge. ...

Other recommendations on other set ups?. I would like to be able to use to shoot on different bolt action rifles mostly. He said you can use it on other, smaller calibers but your noise suppression is not as good. Which makes sense.

Thoughts.

My preference is the Sig SRD762-QD for several reasons.
1) The exterior of the can is 2 piece and the serial # is closes to the barrel. In the event of a baffle strike the damage is likely at the exit end therefore Sig can repair and maintain the serial# and the stamp is still good. If the serial # is damaged you have to wait for a new stamp.
2) The QD, quick disconnect makes changing to other rifles very easy.
3) The design allows removal while hot. Direct threads can get stuck when hot and have to wait to cool to remove.
4) Less expensive than your first choice.

Posts: 21 | Registered: April 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Griffin Armament product line. The Optimus, Alpha, and Optimus Micro can all be taken apart for cleaning. The Optimus can also be reconfigured for use on .22 rimfires, for use on pistols up to 9mm, and for use on high-power rifles.

Their new Optimus Micro is a .22 rimfire can that is rated for .223 as well.

I have an Optimus and an Alpha and am very pleased.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Another vote here for the Omega. Pops and I each got one, and they get used on everything from my 10" piston AR to his 26" barrel .300 Weatherby Mag, a .300 Win Mag and a 7mm Remington Magnum. Tone and suppression levels on all are great, and I do like the interchangeable mounting systems and end caps.

SilencerCo has yet to let me down with one of their products.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eurooptic has the SAS (Suppressed Armament System) Arbiter 30 cal. TOMB on closeout. They are very good.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post