SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Suppressing a "skinny barrel" - 11.5" Pencil (.625 gas port) or 14.5 Mini-14 cut-down
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suppressing a "skinny barrel" - 11.5" Pencil (.625 gas port) or 14.5 Mini-14 cut-down Login/Join 
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted
I'm just now starting into NFA land with my first 2 suppressors.

One is a direct thread 7.62 which will be used on my 300BLK set ups.

However, the other is a 556 that has a muzzle device/quick connect.

I thought I read somewhere that skinny barrels increase the risk of a baffle strike because they can become "whipy".

I'm thinking of cutting down a Mini-14 to 14.5 and pin/weld the muzzle device. I'm also thinking of a BCM or DD "lightweight" 11.5 AR barrel and putting the muzzle device on that.

Anyone have real experience with suppressing a skinny barrel?

I have a heavy weight 11.5 1/7 stainless barrel as well, pretty sure no issues with that one.

Any feedback is appreciated.

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of George from Alaska
posted Hide Post
No so as the suppressor moves in line with the end of the barrel. At least I haven't experienced that in over 30 years of buying, selling and shooting every quality and/or military suppressor out there.

07/02

P220 European
P220 Scorpion
P220 10mm Legion
MK25
P226 Legion
P226 SAO Legion
P229 Legion
556 rifle, my favorite 556
P320 M17 (not the expensive
one) with Leupold DPP
P227 Tac-ops
machineguns
suppressors
07/02

Posts: 76 | Registered: August 04, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Thinner profile barrels tend to be more prone to POI shifts in my experience, but not more or less prone to baffle strikes than any other high quality concentric barrel.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
Thinner profile barrels tend to be more prone to POI shifts in my experience, but not more or less prone to baffle strikes than any other high quality concentric barrel.

Yea... I'm in this camp. Hanging a 1 - 1.5# weight off the end of the barrel. Can change the POI. But should be good to go.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's more of a 'potential' of POI shift.

I have had minimal POI shift with a 11.5" ELWF BCM upper.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer a slightly heavier barrels when adding weight to the end. I've shot/handled others lightweight barrel SBR's with cans. Prefer the balance or swing of the heavier barrel with a can. YMMV

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post