SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Sig 516G2 - 10" upper suppressable? (Edit: yes, it is, with pictures and a quick review)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 516G2 - 10" upper suppressable? (Edit: yes, it is, with pictures and a quick review) Login/Join 
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted
I tried posting this in the rifle room but thought I might get a better answer here.

I've got the opportunity to get a solid deal on a 10" 516 gen 2 upper, which would be perfect for the type of carbine I want to build. However, I'm not interested if I can't mount my Omega/ASR on it, because I don't tend to shoot loud guns. Anyone here know if it'll fit? It looks like if nothing else, I could always grind down the gas adjustment switch to make it work, but obviously I'd prefer to avoid that.

ETA: I called Sig customer service, and the guy, without even thinking about it, just said "Oh yeah! It'll fit! No problem!" leading me to believe that he's a moron and can't be bothered to actually look. No help there.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Killer Instincts,

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
It should fit as the barrel thread shoulder is ahead of the switch.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
It'll work with the SiCo brake on it, gonna be a bit tight... so flip the switch before you mount the suppressor.

Here's a decent pic of a 516... http://www.stlfinder.com/model...x-suppressor/1550018

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
Exactly the kind of information I needed. I expected a tight fit, can always pull the switch and grind it down a little if I need to.

New build, here we go...

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I believe it will fit fine, especially since the ASR mount moves the can forward a bit compared with the direct thread mount.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
Well, I can verify that it works fine! I tried to put up some pictures, but Prime Photo is being a dickhole and just flat not working, and I refuse to ever visit Photobucket again.

Edit: I'm an idiot. The functionality just sucks, it was working fine. I won't have any photos of it complete until I put it on the one registered SBR lower that's on my trust, which is currently at my dad's house. Gun laws are stupid.

Out of the box:

Five minutes later Razz

Complete, for now, optics when I'm less broke (and a new Knight's lower that I will register)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Killer Instincts,

Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
Quick picture, mounted on my dad's registered lower until my stamp comes back:

Edit: I have no idea what is going on with Prime photos right now, but I think it's safe to say that "shit's fucked up." Yes, I know how to post pictures here.

I put about 100 rounds through it this weekend to get the sights zeroed and just to try it out. It had a couple of hiccups at first with my .223 level handloads on the "suppressed" gas setting and with the Omega attached, other than that, zero issues. It absolutely ate up M855 on either gas setting, suppressed or not.

I was really impressed with the overall low recoil, temperature, and gas/oil output to the shooter's face. The rifle was noticeably quieter when the "suppressed" gas setting was used, but only to the shooter. Accuracy was more than adequate for my needs - 3-4" at 100m through irons, and everyone was able to hit the 200m steel plate (18" x 24") offhand at least 3/4 of the time.

She is a heavy little bitch, no doubt about it. The Surefire and suppressor on the front don't really help that cause. This will be a fantastic candidate for a Magpul UBR stock for balance.

In general, I'm really happy with it - particularly for what I spent on it, which isn't much.