SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Ruger MK IV with Thunderbeast
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger MK IV with Thunderbeast Login/Join 
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted
I just picked up my Thunderbeast yesterday after starting my process back in late November 2019.

I screwed it onto my Ruger Mark IV and loaded 5 rounds of subsonic ammo. CCI subsonic, I can't recall the bullet weight.

The first shot was beyond my expectations. SO QUIET! What a wonderful experience. My ears were complaining that I should have purchased a can YEARS ago.

Then I tried the second shot. No joy. The pistol didn't fully eject the spent case from the first round. No problem, work the action pull the trigger and happiness follows. Apparently the subsonic ammo just didn't have enough oomph to push the bolt all the way back.

So being new to this I am asking the collective here for help. What do you guys suggest?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try various ammo to see what works. I have found that CCI quiet won't cycle my 22/45 with GM-22. Std velocity and heavy subsonic work great.

Posts: 6 | Registered: December 20, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I was hoping that might be the case.

I just returned from the range and discovered that I had a few rounds "tumble" and leave "keyholes" in my targets. Is this normal?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It all depends on the pistol / suppressor / ammunition combo.

My Beretta 87 and M&P-22 Compact will cycle 22LR Subsonic Aguilla when clean and lubed, but after about 100-150 rounds, they typically get gummed up enough that they'll stop cycling. Aguilla Standards pushes that out past 200 rounds typically and I haven't gone much past that. Same with my Ruger 10/22s and M&P-15/22 rifles. Clean and lubed, fine with Aguilla Subs and some others. That is with an original SiCo Sparrow and a HTA B22 shorty suppressor. I don't shoot rimfire through my larger suppressors, ever.

In general, unless I'm trying to impress someone with uber quietness, I use standards in the semi-auto pistols & rifles and save the subs for the bolt action rifles - which are REALLY quiet with subs - less than a pellet gun, typically.

Concerning the keyholing, that shouldn't happen and might just be a case of the bullets going slower and tearing the target instead of punching a hole through them - really depends on how your targets / paper is setup though - I've seen this tearing when paper is thick and not supported (ie, just a wood frame or clipped to a hanger, without a cardboard backer).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Rhino, thank you. What you were writing about key holing is probably true. I was looking at the targets more closely and was seeing what you described.

Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
By chance are you running the "Quiet-22" from them, look at the box... that stuff is 710 fps, won't cycle a semi. The other subs that they make shouldn't be giving you a problem.

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
This shows tumbling and key-holing:

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Candyman, yes you nailed it. In my fervor I grabbed what was close to me. I really should have asked more questions. (I maybe would hope that the guy behind the counter would have mentioned it to me...oh well. He's been good to me he probably thought I knew.)

Sigfreud, I'm going to give the targets another look. I don't have anything that looks like the middle (keyholed shot) but my targets do resemble some of the others shots in your picture.

Thanks for the help guys. Being new to the suppressed shooting arena has opened a new can of worms and I am excited to learn!

Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
If it makes you feel any better, you won't be the first or last person to experience that. CCI should really label the box "for bolt action only". That stuff is stupid quiet as you've experienced! Federal makes some subs that are pretty good as well, the best stuff is the Gemtech stuff. A little bit pricier then some, but constantly quiet and accurate...

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Thunder beast advertises 112-114 db and Silencerco Sparrow advertises 41db sound reduction. Excuse my ignorance, but which would be quieter. Full disclosure, I have the Sparrow and while it is quiet I wonder is something else is a better suppressor.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
CCI should really label the box "for bolt action only".
Hmmmm... check out the "Warning" notice on the side... Wink

chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I didn't read the instructions! Ha!

You think I would have learned by now.

Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
How long is your barrel? Many standard velocity .22 LR won't become supersonic in a pistol barrel. Try various brands out and you may find a load that's full power to cycle the action and still remains subsonic out of your pistol without the need for the extra expense or difficulty finding subsonic ammo. I just run normal .22LR and can't tell much difference versus subs.

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
It has a 4.25" barrel. That's an excellent point M4. I was pleased with the regular 22LR ammo noise reduction it is just that those subs were a whole 'other level of quiet.

I am going to try some different ammo I recently had come in.

posted Hide Post
Realize that those are extreme subsonics (22 Quiets). Regular subs run around 1000-1025 FPS and typically work great in semis, but as mentioned standards rated at 1130 FPS are typically still subsonic out of a pistol barrel. Even normal 'high velocity' is sometimes subsonic out of a pistol, but it will be louder.

Now on a rifle, you will typically get the 'crack' from standards and always with high velocity 22s. Still very hearing safe but not 'quiet' and definitely sounds like a gunshot, if you are trying to not garner attention. Wink

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
For general plinking I’ve found that CCI Standard Velocity (SV) to be the best bang for the buck. Stays subsonic out of 16” barrels and will cycle semi autos without issue. I also have a sizeable supply of Gemtech subs, but have found their accuracy out of my CZ 455 to be less than stellar, but they are quiet. Even worse than the Gemtech are the Winchester Suppressor subs, horrible accuracy. American Eagle Suppressor subs are decent though more expensive and harder to find in quantity than CCI SV.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Rhino, I did not realize that. Thank you.

I am spending my lunch tomorrow with several different kinds of .22LR and I'm looking forward to coming back here to write it up!

SigM4 I have some CCI SV to try out. 40gr stuff I think. I am anxious to learn what works best with my combo.

Rhino, I never seek attention. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I was told by a silencer dealer that the minimum of 1000 fps is required to make a semi auto rimfire function properly. Anything less should be reserved for bolt action rifles.

Posts: 62 | Registered: April 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike-4:
I was told by a silencer dealer that the minimum of 1000 fps is required to make a semi auto rimfire function properly. Anything less should be reserved for bolt action rifles.

That’s probably a pretty safe generalization. I have some ammo that comes in around 950 or so that will function semis with an issue, but it’s a 45gr I believe. The heavier bullet may make up for the reduced velocity.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shinobi
posted Hide Post
My favorite suppressed ammo is the Federal American Eagle 22 suppressor , copper plated and 900ish FPS. Hard to get during these times sadly.

Posts: 174 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post