SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Sig P239 Issue When Suppressed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P239 Issue When Suppressed Login/Join 
posted
Hey everyone,

I have a Sig Sauer P239 9mm. I forget which aftermarket drop-in threaded barrel that I bought, but I am looking for that information now... I also have a Gemtech GM-45 suppressor which spends most of its time on a 9mm AR SBR and 300 BO (subsonic) upper receiver... No matter what loads I use (115, 147, 158 grain), the gun will fire the round, will not eject the round (nor load a new round), but the hammer will be cocked. I pull the trigger and it drops the firing pin into the round that has already been fired... I have the Neilson Device...the spring loaded piston that came with the suppressor... Is there a different piston that I need? Does the barrel need fitted? It works fine without the suppressor.. The part that confuses me the most is it not ejecting, yet the hammer is cocked again...any help or tips for me to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posts: 60 | Location: Northern, VA | Registered: May 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, when you put the suppressor on your 239 you're using the piston and spring that's threaded for the aftermarket barrel? When you use it on the AR do you use a fixed barrel spacer or a direct thread adapter?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Posts: 3581 | Location: Springfield, MO...for now (Texan by birth) | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have a piston for use on the P239 and a fixed adapter for use on the AR 9mm... But every time I shoot the pistol, it is a single shot and it is getting quite annoying...tried it again over Christmas break and still seeing the same issues.

Posts: 60 | Location: Northern, VA | Registered: May 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
So the slide is moving far enough back to reset the hammer but not eject the case/feed another one sounds like. I wonder if you have a worn extractor possibly? Which would still leave me with questions about why it would eject without the can.

Have you tried lightly greasing the piston prior to installing the spring?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Posts: 3581 | Location: Springfield, MO...for now (Texan by birth) | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is correct. Yes, I have lubed the rails on the gun as well as applied grease to the piston in the suppressor mount.

Hoghunter
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a different spring weight?

Posts: 4108 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the case left fully in the chamber? If so, it sounds like there is enough pressure to keep the case expanded in the camber when the extractor is trying to pull it out to the ejector. Check your extractor for chips, nicks and gunk build up.

Does the case come out easily of the chamber with your fingers?

Is the chamber pretty rough cut? If so, have you put a patch on a jag with bore bright to smooth it out a hair?

Posts: 2548 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Maybe the suppressor is too long or heavy?
I don't know if that's a thing.
I know I could never get my AWC Triad Ti to work with my Glock 19 no matter what ammo or spring weight. Worked fine on my Glock 21 and HK45CT. I ended up getting some Gemtech Tundras for my 9mms and they work fine on all my 9mm guns.

Have you tried faster ammo? Less power recoil spring?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 4684 | Location: South of Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sybo- different recoil spring weight?

DS- Yes, the case is fully in the chamber after firing. No stovepipe issues. I will check the extractor this weekend, it is possible that it has gunk buildup. Case easily ejects when I rack the slide manually, and rounds will load in and fall out with no issues. I have not done anything to the bore, it was a new barrel. But I will check again for issues. Rounds drop in and out just fine though..

Chowser- This is what I am starting to think...but I am new to pistol suppressors, so I don't know. I have tried the suppressor/gun with subsonic 147 and 158 grain as well as supersonic 115 and 124 grain bullets, all with the same issue.

I am stumped.

-Fitz

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigFitz:
Hey everyone,

I have a Sig Sauer P239 9mm. I forget which aftermarket drop-in threaded barrel that I bought, but I am looking for that information now... I also have a Gemtech GM-45 suppressor which spends most of its time on a 9mm AR SBR and 300 BO (subsonic) upper receiver... No matter what loads I use (115, 147, 158 grain), the gun will fire the round, will not eject the round (nor load a new round), but the hammer will be cocked. I pull the trigger and it drops the firing pin into the round that has already been fired... I have the Neilson Device...the spring loaded piston that came with the suppressor... Is there a different piston that I need? Does the barrel need fitted? It works fine without the suppressor.. The part that confuses me the most is it not ejecting, yet the hammer is cocked again...any help or tips for me to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It sounds like the spring in the Nielson device is too strong. Have you spoken with Gemtech?

Posts: 138 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not contacted Gemtech yet. I wanted to see if there was something that I was missing or doing wrong before I reached out to them... But at this point, I think I need to send them an email.

posted Hide Post
If anyone can get you up and running it's them.

I think your pistol is partially cycling. Initial slide movement is kicking the hammer back but the slide doesn't go back far enough to eject the case, it just reloads it into the chamber.

Posts: 138 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigFitz:
sybo- different recoil spring weight?

DS- Yes, the case is fully in the chamber after firing. No stovepipe issues. I will check the extractor this weekend, it is possible that it has gunk buildup. Case easily ejects when I rack the slide manually, and rounds will load in and fall out with no issues. I have not done anything to the bore, it was a new barrel. But I will check again for issues. Rounds drop in and out just fine though..

Chowser- This is what I am starting to think...but I am new to pistol suppressors, so I don't know. I have tried the suppressor/gun with subsonic 147 and 158 grain as well as supersonic 115 and 124 grain bullets, all with the same issue.

I am stumped.

-Fitz

When the round is fired the case expands and fits to the camber wall slightly, the bullet moves forward and out the barrel, the case contracts, the extractor pulls on it till it hits the ejector. The slide goes forward stripping a new round out of the magazine and loading it into the chamber.

My point is strictly on the timing of the brass case contracting. With enough back pressure, it will keep the case firmly pressed against the chamber walls. When the slide and extractor move backwards, the extractor will not have enough strength, force, to pop the still expanded case out of the chamber.

A rough chamber as seen often in aftermart barrels can also keep or at least make that case stick to the chamber wall untill it contracts.

My suggestion is to simply use a 9mm jag and patch with bore bright to polish off any overly rough edges in the chamber. Then make sure your extractor is not gunked up or damaged.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any update?