SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Interstate with SBR
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Interstate with SBR Login/Join 
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DevlDogs55:
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
Unless I missed something when looking at the form, you could put down dates that extend over the next eight years and not worry about notifying ATF you are transporting NFA items interstate until Trump is out of office.


Come again?

If you look at ATF Form 5320.20 #3 asks the dates firearm(s) will be away from original location, if to be returned to that location , (or dates in transit, if to be permanently relocated)

So my thought is, if I am traveling interstate once a week (for the next 8 years Trump is in office) with my NFA items, it would make sense to put that 8 year time period down on #3.

The form does not indicate a restriction in the amount of travel time that the NFA item is away from the original location. So why not combine all the weeks you will be away into one long period? Then put the overall length of time on one request.




Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is.
 
Posts: 7893 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Report This Post
Proud member of
the vanning collective
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DevlDogs55:
Can't remember if I posted this or not.. had all my permission slips denied. Last year they let me get away with putting an address in each state - and then adding "And other locations in Idaho". This year.. no go. Had to re-file.

What's this about applying for the next 8 years? Am I missing some sarcasm?


I'd like to think you are reading too deeply into the purpose of the form. If not I am not reading deep enough.

It is a form to get permission to take it across state lines not permission for every specific location you may go in that state.

I indicate my final destination in the state not every subsequent location it might go in that state.

For mine I travel to a family residence in a different state at least once a month and at times it will be last minute notice.
The residence I list is my final destination in that state. I may subsequently enroute to that destination stop at a gas station, a buddies house, a store, a gun shop, a gun range, etc. I don't list every address as I don't believe that is the purpose of the form. Simply a request to cross state lines not an indicator of every place to might visit in that state.


--------------------------------------
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
 
Posts: 17638 | Registered: September 06, 2003Report This Post
Bamf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
The form does not indicate a restriction in the amount of travel time that the NFA item is away from the original location. So why not combine all the weeks you will be away into one long period? Then put the overall length of time on one request.


As far as I know - even though it doesn't say so on the form, the NFA branch will only approve the form for up to one year. Doesn't have to be a calendar year, but you can do March 24, 2017 to March 24, 2018. Maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong - and if so, I will be frustrated that I've been doing this every year.

It's been a long day, so I'm also missing how it relates to Trump and the next 8 years. As far as I know, Trump hasn't even said he was going to make any changes to this rule.




"I have a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim" - Ænema
 
Posts: 4582 | Location: Puyallup, WA | Registered: November 12, 2006Report This Post
Bamf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by DevlDogs55:
Can't remember if I posted this or not.. had all my permission slips denied. Last year they let me get away with putting an address in each state - and then adding "And other locations in Idaho". This year.. no go. Had to re-file.

What's this about applying for the next 8 years? Am I missing some sarcasm?


I'd like to think you are reading too deeply into the purpose of the form. If not I am not reading deep enough.

It is a form to get permission to take it across state lines not permission for every specific location you may go in that state.

I indicate my final destination in the state not every subsequent location it might go in that state.

For mine I travel to a family residence in a different state at least once a month and at times it will be last minute notice.
The residence I list is my final destination in that state. I may subsequently enroute to that destination stop at a gas station, a buddies house, a store, a gun shop, a gun range, etc. I don't list every address as I don't believe that is the purpose of the form. Simply a request to cross state lines not an indicator of every place to might visit in that state.


I think you're probably right, but I have read mixed ATF opinion letters that all stemmed from people calling up the NFA branch and asking this question. Some say that you need multiples, others don't think so. It worries me that it's such a gray area, and an overzealous police officer could probably cause some trouble if I were in Boise Idaho when my 5320.20 lists an address in Coeur d' Alene.




"I have a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim" - Ænema
 
Posts: 4582 | Location: Puyallup, WA | Registered: November 12, 2006Report This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trump and the next 8 years.

In other words no democrat to screw with the NFA items. I am assuming he will win again in 2000.




Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is.
 
Posts: 7893 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Report This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as I know - even though it doesn't say so on the form, the NFA branch will only approve the form for up to one year.

And I don't want to be the test case. I just started my NFA collection and want to see where the grey areas are and what I need to look out for.




Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is.
 
Posts: 7893 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Report This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
So you couldn't just take it apart and re-assemble it when you reached your destination so that you only need approval for the one state?


No. First, even if it's unassembled, if you possess the parts on your person to make it a SBR it's still considered an SBR. That's why I specifically stated that to not require the 5320.20 for interstate travel you have to leave the SBR parts (say barrel or upper) at home.

Second, you don't need approvals for drive-thru states. So when I am going to Georgia to hunt hogs I just get approval for GA as that is my actual destination and I am only driving through the other states to get there.




I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

-Vince Lombardi
 
Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 06, 2008Report This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
quote:
Originally posted by DevlDogs55:
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
Unless I missed something when looking at the form, you could put down dates that extend over the next eight years and not worry about notifying ATF you are transporting NFA items interstate until Trump is out of office.


Come again?

If you look at ATF Form 5320.20 #3 asks the dates firearm(s) will be away from original location, if to be returned to that location , (or dates in transit, if to be permanently relocated)

So my thought is, if I am traveling interstate once a week (for the next 8 years Trump is in office) with my NFA items, it would make sense to put that 8 year time period down on #3.

The form does not indicate a restriction in the amount of travel time that the NFA item is away from the original location. So why not combine all the weeks you will be away into one long period? Then put the overall length of time on one request.


Call the ATF and they will give you guidance over the phone, and their current guidance states that they will not do 5320.20 approvals for longer than 1 year.




I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

-Vince Lombardi
 
Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 06, 2008Report This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  

Closed Topic Closed

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Interstate with SBR

© SIGforum 2017